Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electrical updates to build?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbiskup

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Electrical updates to build? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Kal

I was browsing the store front and noticed that the new builds have moved to DIN rail electrical components. Do you plan on updating the site for the DIYer?

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in DIN rail components or a kit with DIN components let us know. We can sell you what you need. The types of parts and wiring diagram are identical, positioning of parts however is different given that they're mostly lined up on a DIN rail. Then you also need some DIN rail, stoppers, etc (all things we can supply).

DIN isn't any better and doesn't add any functionality. From the outside the panels behave the same way. DIN is simply quicker to build *if* you know what you're doing. Unless you have experience in it, for most people it's more difficult to understand and will actually take them longer.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built mine similar to Kal but have helped a couple other build on the DIN rail. I would highly recommend it! Very easy to attach each everything to the rail and remove as needed. That would be the only way I would go going forward. I'm not saying everything on the rails but the relays and breaker style fuse for sure.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone interested in DIN parts in their control panel kit, let me know! You can email me at kal@TheElectricBrewery.com. The wiring diagrams are same. Parts layout will simply be different on the backplate. Everyone else (door components, bottom receptacles, etc) are all the same.

Cheers!

Kal

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Anyone interested in DIN parts in their control panel kit, let me know! You can email me at kal@TheElectricBrewery.com. The wiring diagrams are same. Parts layout will simply be different on the backplate. Everyone else (door components, bottom receptacles, etc) are all the same.

Cheers!

Kal

Just curious - does Mike use ferrules on the wires with the DIN components? I am using DIN rail components in my build but buying the ferrules (and tools) for 6ga through 14ga wire is just very expensive for what works out to be under 50 ferrules.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - DIN wire ferrules are used for all wire gauges: 6, 10, 14, 22.
You can sort of see them in some of the pics here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel

Kal

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Yup - DIN wire ferrules are used for all wire gauges: 6, 10, 14, 22.
You can sort of see them in some of the pics here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel

Kal

Sorry, I know it's been over a month - but how are you recommending customers secure the wires to the ferrules? Don't they typically require a certain type of ferrule tool?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. A wire ferrule crimping tool should be used. Looks like this: http://amzn.to/2FhAqk9

Kal

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, two tools will be needed if you're using larger ferrules... the ones for 6 AWG wire, for example. I haven't seen a tool that can handle both this size wire as well as wire down to 14 AWG (let alone 22 AWG).
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what Mike uses to crimp when going from as large as 6 AWG all the way down to 22 AWG. I know we do plan on selling the crimper too once we get everything up in our new Shopify store with 100's of parts.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: