Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

element lights flashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bouch2908

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: element lights flashing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Turn on the switch for the elements (back to back setup) and both lights flash at different speeds. They seem to be cycling very quickly( tested by hooking pump up to element sockets). Both were working fine prior to installing safety interlock. Although i had not done a full test on the unit prior to installing interlock. My guess is pids (sestos VR220) one of which was in my old control box and working fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

This is difficult to assess I'm afraid given the limited information. If introducing the safe start interlock seems to have caused issues, I'd be looking there first for your wiring mistakes. A video of what's happening along with a wiring diagram of what you're doing would let us help further.

P.S. Be careful using pumps on the element sockets for testing. Pumps do not like to be turned on/off quickly.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Bouch2908

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: element lights Reply with quote

Hi Kal, cheers for the prompt reply. I have removed the interlock and associated wiring and the lights are still flashing(video attached). The unit was working fine prior to installation although i hadn't done a full run with the system. The alarm is also going off now with nothing on. Damn sure this wasn't happening before. I did find that i had hooked up the ssr's to the wrong Pid's, this i have rectified. All wiring was as per JohnnyGunn's diagram i found in the forum. I have check this again and can't find anywhere i may have gone wrong, i will do another check to see if i missed anything but pretty sure i haven't.

Cheers Craig.
Bouch2908

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to attach the video and either tells me that there is No post specified or that i am loading an empty file
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the video on a service somewhere (like YouTube) and simply link to it.

Kal

Bouch2908

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a test either side of the element contactor using a bulb. Power causes light to pulse. This tells me there must be something wrong with the pid (sestos VR220) side of things. Am i wrong in this assumption? Run light on at PID, light on at SSR and power getting to light bulb. Just not a constant current.

Regards.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the SSR as well. Or possibly something mis-wired or the PID mis-configured, though most likely PID if they're all behaving the same.

Kal

Bouch2908

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the pids. Done a test on the ssr's and they're fine. Going over the wiring again now, but can't understand what could have possibly gone wrong when i haven't touched any of the wiring and they were working fine. It sounds odd that all 3 are reacting in the same manner. Two are straight out of the box. I could understand if it was the old one, but not all 3 that are buggered. They are sestos VR220 PID's, does anyone know where i could have gone wrong here it has me stuffed what has gone wrong. Made a video(https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unhappy+brewer). First part is a test with a 9V battery and then with the pid controlling the SSR.

regards Craig
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're using the right model for example, Sestos model D1S-2R-220 is meant for relay output, while D1S-VR-220 is meant for SSR output.

Make sure to follow their wiring diagrams. They will be different than the ones here. Also make sure to program them correctly. Out of the box they may not be suited for the other things you're using (like the temp probes, possibly the type of control output [SSR vs relay]) and so forth. Highly unlikely that they'll work correctly out of the box with everything else you have. Always best to double check.

Good luck!

Kal

Bouch2908

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are definitely the VR220 all set to PT100(sn21) probes and are reading correct temp as per the vessel thermometers. I wired them as per JohnnyGunn's wiring diagram i got off of the forum.

regards Craig

Sestos wiring diagram.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Sestos wiring diagram.pdf
 Filesize:  80.48 KB
 Downloaded:  470 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're using different parts and a different wiring diagram from what we're used to seeing here that you've then further modified to add a safe start interlock, so it could any number of things from incorrect parts, incorrect design, incorrect wiring, or incorrect setup.

Post your modified wiring diagram with parts too and maybe someone can help out. Without knowing how you've wired it, it's going to be hard for anyone to assist as it could really be anything. We'd just be guessing.

Good luck!

Kal

Bouch2908

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Kal. Sorted the issue out i just reset the pids to out of the box with the PT100 setting for the probe. Not sure how they had all changed as i had only used the old one before. I must of done something when i was first setting them for the PT100. The
wiring diagram is in the previous post. Only used the wiring for the PID's and timer from this diagram, the rest associated with the elements is the same as yours. The pumps are a different set up, as i tried to use as much of my old control box as i could. I have left out the volt and amp meters. Thanks for the help and the work you have put into the manual and the website. It has been very helpful. Next hurdle is the brew day with the new setup. Fingers crossed.

Regards Craig
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you figured it out Craig. Happy brewing!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: