Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Very Low Carbonation in Bottles

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkdjim

Drinking: Scotch Ale

Working on: Moose Druel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Very Low Carbonation in Bottles Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello Guys,

I haven't bottled in a long time, been kegging my brew but on this batch I bottled up 18 beers to give some to a friend.
Instead of priming them from a bucket with the corn sugar I put 3/4 teaspoon in each bottle. I was very diligent in measuring as I didn't want any bottle bombs.

After sitting at room temp for 2 weeks + I crashed a few in the fridge for a few days. When I tried on it was pretty low on carbonation only saw bubbles on the side of the glass and no head?

My guess is there was no residual yeast in the brew to produce the CO2?
Is there anyway I can perhaps open the rest up and pour into a bucket then add some DME and Yeast? Or is that wasted cause and inviting all sorts or problems?

The only reason I tried to bottle condition these is last time I pulled a bottle from the keg and capped it. Not knowing how long he waited to open it but he said it was ok but a little flat?

Any suggestions?

THX, tkdjim
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them a little more time and maybe a little warmer spot

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do anything to clear the beers before they were bottled (ex: filtering or gelatin)? That can lower the yeast count, requiring longer to carb up after as silverspoons mentioned. If bottling it's probably best to not do either. Some sediment will always occur anyway in bottles from the re-fermentation that happens from the priming sugar that's added, so you can't get away from it.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
tkdjim

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I did different than normal was put in about 1/2 or so of Whirlfloc tab during the last part of the Boil.
I wasn't happy with the SG it started at 1.052 but after 2 weeks in the SS Brew Bucket only reached 1.018 I pitched Wyeast 1056 but didn't make a starter with it. I definitely am going to make starters in the future.

I have the bottles sitting in the basement so yes Silverspoons that is a good tip to move them up into the house where it is warmer. It's been cooler here lately and the space heater for the cats down there may not be keeping that corner warm enough.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Whirlfloc won't affect anything in terms of what yeast gets in the bottles. If the bottles are in a colder area, definitely move them into a room temp space (something around 72F). Good luck!

1.018 FG is pretty high (after starting at 1.052). What's the beer? How's it taste?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could your bottle caps be leaking? Same problem with beer bottled from keg and bottle conditioned. Might be something to look into.

Scott
tkdjim

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott I will check caps I pressed pretty hard on them when capping, I would imagine that would only be on a random few. I need to open up another one and see if it is the same. The on before was a ceramic capped bottle with a new o-ring seal.

Kal, The Phat Tire Ale tastes fair not my best batch. This was a Partial Boil Extract kit that I had laying around for awhile.
The DME really clumped and I had to rub it around the kettle wall to try to break it up so either that or some LME that I added could of scorched some. The bottom of my Kettle had a tough to remove spot when cleaning and the Amber Ale looks more like a light brown.

Thanks for the ideas Guys!!!
tkdjim
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: