Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Local Water Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Local Water Report Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
New to all this water stuff. This is the water report I get from our local water district. Can I gather enough information with this, or should I be looking for more. And what am looking for on here.

Attached is the pdf

The Water We Drink 2016.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  The Water We Drink 2016.pdf
 Filesize:  318.24 KB
 Downloaded:  615 Time(s)

View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You only appear to have Chloride and Sulphate, so only about 20% of what you need.

Check out my WATER ADJUSTMENT article - it'll explain exactly what you need to know, how to find it, and how to brew various styles of beer with it: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
RyanTheSimp

Drinking: El Jefe (Hefeweizen), Belgian Cream Ale

Working on: Electric Pale Ale, Smoked Bacon Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GlennMcD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:20 pm Post subject: Local Water Report
New to all this water stuff. This is the water report I get from our local water district. Can I gather enough information with this, or should I be looking for more. And what am looking for on here.

you still need several more pieces of info. Might want to send a sample of water in to be analyzed. Check out bru'n water and see all the different water inputs required.
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I thought, was hoping I was over looking something. I am still waiting to see if they can get more info, but I might as well just send off for a water test anyway.
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called my local water company and told them I was brewing beer and they connected me with their staff chemist. He knew exactly what I was looking for, because all of the local commercial brewers are on the phone with him weekly (if not daily) checking on the water quality. Apparently we have a supplemental well source that mess up their normal water chemistry when that source is used.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried calling and did not get anymore information than the published report shows. I guess I will send off for a water analysis.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad. Are there any breweries in your area? You could always ask them. Many (most?) are homebrewer friendly given that that's how they started.

Cheers!

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_H wrote:
I called my local water company and told them I was brewing beer and they connected me with their staff chemist. He knew exactly what I was looking for, because all of the local commercial brewers are on the phone with him weekly (if not daily) checking on the water quality. Apparently we have a supplemental well source that mess up their normal water chemistry when that source is used.

^this. the 'standard' water quality reports issued by most municipalities are focused on health issues such as contaminants, pesticides, lead, etc. they don't report on calcium, magnesium, etc. since these don't really have health impacts, most folks don't care about them and the extra info can clutter/confuse the report. all this being said, most municipalities do track this type of info but just don't see a point in publishing it. call up your local water department and ask to speak with a chemist or similar, they are typically more than happy to share the extra info with you.
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 10 miles in the next town over. I know we all draw off the same aquifer. Would that be adequate along with my towns report?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely.

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ordered a LaMotte BrewLab Plus kit, tested my water and came up with this.....

Ca=20, Mg=7.2, Na=53.9, Cl=40, SO4=0

Am I going to have to use RO water to get sodium down?
I'm shooting for your Electric Hop Candy Jr. (New England style Pale Ale) water profile.

Ca=100, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=200, SO4=100
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodium (Na) rounds out flavours and accentuates sweetness. Lower concentration tends to produce a cleaner flavour. May taste salty above 150 ppm and harsh/sour above 250 ppm. Typical brewing range is 0-50 ppm.

For most beers we want to keep Sodium (Na) low as it tends to produce a cleaner flavour. The only reason my target is 16 is because that's what's in my water and the results are great.

I would try it both ways (straight and 50% cut with RO) and see what you think. There's really no right or wrong answer to this.

From my water adjustment guide:

"Keeping Sodium very low in most beers is the goal. Our water starts with a Sodium level of 16 and for the most part we leave it there for most beers as lower amounts of Sodium produces a cleaner flavour. If you are starting with a Sodium level that is lower, feel free to add some Baking Soda to raise the level slightly to match our recommended targets but do not feel it is required. If our starting Sodium was at 5 or 10, we'd probably leave it at that. If your Sodium is much higher than 30 however you may want to consider diluting with RO or distilled water."

Source: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, I think I will cut in a bit. I'm planning my first brew day on my completed system in the up coming week. Hoping everything goes as planned.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Kal

JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: do we have enough information? Reply with quote

After reading this thread, I clicked my way over to Akron's utility website and found the following water report... granted its from 2016 (most up to date one posted) at a quick glance, it appears to have everything needed to make adjustments to my water chemistry prior to brewing... out side of the standard minerals/ elements, is there anything else listed one would recommend attempting to correct?

The folks at the LHBS recommend 1) either using store bought drinking water (which is fine in my current 2 gallon set up) but would imagine this becoming rather expensive her shortly after this built. 2) running the water through a charcoal filter prior to brewing with it.

thoughts and/or ideals based from those more experienced?

-John

2016allwatertests.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2016allwatertests.pdf
 Filesize:  146.61 KB
 Downloaded:  824 Time(s)

SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your LaMotte results look odd.
Are you testing water that has been run through a water softener?
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD Endorf wrote:

I personally didn’t test anything, the results are from the City water company. To the best of my knowledge no softener was used. I’ll have to look into this in greater depth.
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD Endorf wrote:

No water softener, just straight city water. What looks odd about it?
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusually high level of sodium suggests softening treatment. Rare to see no sulfates at all.
This would be great brewing water if cut with RO to bring the Na down.
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD Endorf wrote:
Unusually high level of sodium suggests softening treatment. Rare to see no sulfates at all.
This would be great brewing water if cut with RO to bring the Na down.

We have pretty great water here in in the Cleveland/Akron area....though some well water is downright awful. I wonder what, if anything, Great Lakes Brewing adds to their water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: