Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Power Supply Hookup

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Power Supply Hookup Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Kal,

The power supplies I bought from you look to have the positive on the inside rather than the outside of the out terminals. Can you confirm? Also, can you tell if it matters if polarity matters when hooking up the doorbell transformer 12v out to the IN on the power supply? I didn't see any positive or negative markings. Pic attached.

kal power supply.jpg
 Description:
+5 DC looks to be inside rather than outside
 Filesize:  44.06 KB
 Viewed:  11522 Time(s)

kal power supply.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few different models of the power supplies sold so unsure which exact versions you have. Can you take a closer top down shot of them? Or better yet, use a voltmeter to confirm which is DC OUT (positive) and which is GROUND since you need to do that anyway to set them to just under 5V DC before connecting them to the meters.

The "+" sign may simply be polarity of the orange component (looks like it may be a tant cap?).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to answer your other questions - sorry!:

mike0416 wrote:
Also, can you tell if it matters if polarity matters when hooking up the doorbell transformer 12v out to the IN on the power supply?

It doesn't matter. Where it doesn't matter in our wiring diagrams, polarity is not shown.

Kal

mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal. I'll use a voltmeter as suggested (just learning this stuff) but I've attached a picture as best I can of the top view.

IMG_1061.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.29 KB
 Viewed:  11504 Time(s)

IMG_1061.jpg

mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brightened pic

IMG_1061 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.61 KB
 Viewed:  11497 Time(s)

IMG_1061 (1).jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I still can't tell. Somewhere (either on the top or bottom) it has to be marked which of the 4 connections are. They are:

AC IN
AC IN
DC OUT (+)
DC OUT (- / GND)

The first two are interchangeable.

I've asked Mike who sent these to you to confirm.

Kal

Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Power Supply Hookup Reply with quote

mike0416 wrote:
Hi Kal,

The power supplies I bought from you look to have the positive on the inside rather than the outside of the out terminals. Can you confirm? Also, can you tell if it matters if polarity matters when hooking up the doorbell transformer 12v out to the IN on the power supply? I didn't see any positive or negative markings. Pic attached.

You are correct. The positive for the DC out is on the inside of the 4 terminals. From your first pic it would be:

AC IN | AC IN | DC+ | DC-

The OUT marking designated the side that is the DC (adjustable) out portion of the converter.

Good luck!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike!

Kal

mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

So I've been testing the power supply as you suggested. It turns out it was the doorbell transformer. I actually got the voltage meter up and running and it was showing a steady number for awhile, then the panel down. When I started it back up again a while later the meter wasn't as bright and the number value kept jumping around (220, 240, 320, etc.). I changed my voltage meter to DC and measured the DC out values of the power supply. The best I could get was 2.5V no matter how much I turned the screw on the adjustable power supply.
Note that I tried two doorbell transformers, one measuring about 7V out and the other measuring 18V out. Either one did not have a different impact. I ordered two new power supplies from you last week. I'll try them when they get here, but I'm wondering if you've seem this before and know the root cause. Thanks.

- Mike
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

If the doorbell transformer isn't working correctly then everything after it will most likely not work correctly.

If the doorbell transformer is working correctly and putting out anywhere from 8 to about 24 VAC and you can't get the power supply output voltage correct without the meter attached (that part's important), then you may have had bad power supplies. If you have a power supply that seems to work correctly without a meter attached that drops voltage with a meter attached, the meter is likely faulty.

Kal

mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

The transformers are working well. I get about 18 V out with the new ones I bought. I also test about 18 V into the power supplies. It’s the DC out that I think has the problem. No matter what I do I can’t get any more than 2.5 V from the DC out of either power supply. I ordered some new ones from you last week so I’m going to wait and see if those power supplies fix things now that I have confirmation that the transformers are fine. I’ll let you know. Fingers crossed…

Side question: When I’m tightening up all of the hardware like the ball valves to the nipples to the quick disconnects etc. once I put the Teflon tape on how tight do I actually need to make these connections? Obviously I want to ball valves to line up correctly as well as some of the 90° elbows to point outwards like on the pumps. I don’t want to over tighten anything but at the same time I don’t want anything leaking. Is hand tight acceptable plus a half to a fulll turn?

Regards,
Mike
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's stainless on stainless NPT fittings you basically can't overtighten. Tighten with wrenches until things line up the way you want them too.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
cmkopp11

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread saved me from going off the deep end looking for a datasheet. Thanks guys. I was convinced the plus was for the capacitor as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: