Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

120v Control Panel Wiring Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jruh17

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: 120v Control Panel Wiring Help Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm building a 120v control panel and have a couple questions. Attached is my initial plan for wiring. The control panel will have a main power key switch, a PID, alarm buzzer and switch for buzzer, heater (switch, led, outlet), pump (switch, led, outlet)

Some specs about parts:
PID= Inkbird ITC-100VH
SSR= DA 40A
Pump and Heater switch = 20a DPST, wired so heater switch will only work if pump switch is on
Buzzer switch = basic on/off
Main power relay= SPDT 30A relay, 5 terminals(Com, coil, coil, no, nc)
Heater = 120v, 2000w, 16.6A
Pump= 120v

Questions:
1) Is the wiring generally correct? I've done a bunch of research and feel like it's close but I'm not sure if it's 100%? Espdcially the...
2) Wiring for the main power relay. It's a 5 terminal SPDT switch. I don't have anything coming off the NO and just feel like something's wrong with the wiring?
3)is the wiring correct for the heater and pump switch so that the heater switch does not work unless the pump switch is on?
4) How low of Amps can I go for the main power switch since it's basically just flipping the relay?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

120V-Control-Panel.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.7 KB
 Viewed:  7896 Time(s)

120V-Control-Panel.png

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 120v Control Panel Wiring Help Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

While I'm afraid I don't have time to trace every single wire and look up your PID's manual to confirm pinouts, I have a few comments for you that I hope will help:

The power coming out of the relay should be from the NO contactor. Right now the panel will be on when you first plug it in and will turn off when you turn the MAIN switch.

You're passing all current for the pump and heater through the pump switch. Most switches are not rated for that amount of current. Normally a high amperage relay is used for high power items like the heater and the switch simply activates the relay. See the "How it works" section here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=13

The main power switch will only see a few milliamps since all it does is energize the power in relay. (see previous point). The contactors on most switches are rated to 10A (AC) which is more than enough for powering a relay (a few mA) or a small pump (1-2A), but not high enough for high current devices like heating elements (16.7A in your case).

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Jruh17

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. That was very helpful. I will check out the link you included. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: