Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Adjusting local water

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Adjusting local water Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Unfortunately, based on the water authority info, my water drastically fluctuates throughout the year. Makes it difficult to adjust the water for brewing. Tried 5.2 pH Stabilizer, but then I read negative things about the product.

Can't I simply use some acidulated malt in the mash to achieve the desired mash pH?

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting local water Reply with quote

Kraig wrote:
Unfortunately, based on the water authority info, my water drastically fluctuates throughout the year. Makes it difficult to adjust the water for brewing.

How much does it vary? Can you post what they've provided you?

Quote:
Tried 5.2 pH Stabilizer, but then I read negative things about the product.

Yep. I don't like it for the reasons I outlined here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/5-2-pH-Stabilizer

Quote:
Can't I simply use some acidulated malt in the mash to achieve the desired mash pH?

Depends what you're trying to do. Acidulated malt is simply regular (usually) low kilned / low lovibond malt that's been sprayed with lactic acid. The result is no different than just using regular malt and adding your own lactic acid. There's no difference.

See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Acidulated-Malt

Quote:

"Acidulated malt is typically only used in Germany, where the Reinheitsgebot (German Beer Purity Law) prevents brewers from using food-grade acids to do the same thing. We prefer to use 88% lactic acid as small amount can be added to the mash and measured until the mash pH is correct, while not affecting the overall gravity."

Also mentioned in my water adjustment guide: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

Quote:

"If you prefer to brew to Reinheitsgebot (German Beer Purity Law) standards where acids cannot be used, you may replace a small amount of the base malt with acidulated malt which contains a small proportion (usually 1-2% by weight) of lactic acid. How much is done mostly through trial and error as you brew repeat batches, as adding more will throw off your starting gravity since adding grain adds sugar. We find it simpler to add acid separately. "

What I'm getting at is since you don't always know how much acid you need to add to lower pH, you just keep adding lactic acid to your mash until you hit the desired pH. If you have to instead add grain, you're affecting your beer's gravity too which is not what you want to do.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will lactic acid or acidulated malt ruin or infect my equipment as is the MAJOR concern of sour beer brewing. Please realize I'm not writing about sour beer brewing, just giving an example as I don't want to infect my equipment if I use lactic acid.

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Weyermann's website on their acidulated malt:

"Weyermann® Acidulated Malt is perfect to adjust the pH level in mash or wort. There is a simple formula to calculate the dosage of Acidulated Malt: You have to use 1% of Acidulated malt to reduce the pH by 0.1. (Example: 3% Acidulated malt reduce the pH level in mash by 0.3).
The exact effect depends of course on the special conditions in the mash or wort (buffering capacity …) and on the composition of the brew water."

The last sentence is the important one. The first part (adding 1% reduces the pH by 0.1) is a frankly a silly thing for them to say since it will completely vary based on the buffering capacity of your mash/wort (and water).

That's why using acidulated malt is a trial and error thing. You replace a % of your base malt with acidulated malt, brew with it, measure the outcome, then re-adjust for next time. So unless you truly care about Reinheitsgebot, just use lactic acid.

This acid only affects mash pH. It has nothing to do with the other minerals (SO4, Cl, Na, etc) that affect flavour.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kraig wrote:
Will lactic acid or acidulated malt ruin or infect my equipment as is the MAJOR concern of sour beer brewing.

The concern with sour beer making is because of the bacteria / yeast. Not because acids may be used.
The bacteria and wild yeast used in the brewing of sour beers can spoil “regular” beer if they come in contact with it.

Quote:
I don't want to infect my equipment if I use lactic acid.

You won't. I use lactic acid in every beer I make.

To see how and why, read:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
Thanks. I read thru the Water treatment write-up. Unfortunately, my local water varies too much throughout the year to readability know what to add/not add.

Just trying to make the best beer possible with the best equipment possible (the EB).
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does your water vary? Can you post what they've provided you?

Kal

SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Need to know what fluctuates. You may need to cut with some store bought RO water.
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30939
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I remember that discussion. The results:

Quote:
[quote="kal"]Ca is stable over the year (28-43 ppm).
Mg very stable and low over the year (7-11 ppm).
Cl is all over the place (17-75 ppm). I don't see any pattern at all. It's a real yoyo.
SO4 is not overly stable either (15-60 ppm). I don't see any seasonal pattern at all. For some reason it jumps from 18 to 55 between June and July and then stays high until January.
Na is fairly stable and low over the year (10-38). You wouldn't want to add any more.

So depending on what you want to brew, you could easily use this water. It's Cl and SO4 that are kind of all over the place, but if you brew something that has reasonably high amounts of both, the seasonal variance in those two numbers will not be a big deal.

For example, say you want to brew an American IPA or an NEIPA. My recommended targets are:

American IPA: Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=50, SO4=275
NEIPA: Ca=100, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=200, SO4=100

If you assume your starting numbers are about in the middle of the ranges they give, your Cl and Mg in the worst case won't be that much of a % off from the targets since the target numbers for Mg and Cl are usually fairly big.

If you don't like having variables, use RO or distilled water. But the choice is really up to you. Starting with RO is the simplest as you're always starting at the same point. My comments about using acidulated malt vs lactic acid still hold true. With RO you definitely need to add brewing salts too per my 'water adjustment' guide as the water needs something.

Good luck!

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: