Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

50a 30+ Gal Control Panel on 30a Dryer Outlet w/Adapter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tacticalbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: 50a 30+ Gal Control Panel on 30a Dryer Outlet w/Adapter? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

I'm interested in a 50a 30+ gal control panel for brewing larger batches in the long term and speeding up my small batches now. My question is can I use a 30a Dryer plug with a "NEMA 14-30P -> NEMA14-50R" adapter on the panel for smaller 5-10 gal batches now? I.e. I would only hook up a single element to the HTL and Boil instead of two each which could never draw more than the 30a controller would have used.

Here's a link to what looks like it would work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STD8CXC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=c512283c02b40b46ff1e074459bf0ebd

Is anyone running a 50a controller this way for future proofing? I plan on moving in the next 3-5 years and was hoping to not need to pay for a 50a line for no reason.

Thanks in advance!
-TB
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum TB!

Many are using our 50A 30+ gallon control panel with only two heating elements in order to be future proof. When you're ready for more power, simply add an extra couple of heating elements.

The easiest way to do this is to have a 50A stove outlet installed on your wall today. That outlet will be ready to deliver up to 50A when driving 4 elements, but will also work perfectly well with only 2 elements running drawing half the current.

This way you don't need to replace anything. No need to replace the outlet, or the power cord.

To order your 50A control panel see here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, wait a sec... I think you're asking something a bit different:

You already have a 30A outlet available to you today in the current house right? You want to know if you can use the 50A 30+ gallon control panel with the 50A power cord pus this adapter, as long as you stick to only one heating element per kettle?

Sure, that'll work just fine. Just make sure you do have a 30A GFI breaker installed upstream for safety reasons. Not just for operator/brewer safety (that's the GFI part) but also for wiring/overload safety in case you plug the heating elements in incorrectly and end up driving both at the same time. The 30A breaker would then trip.

That adapter would allow you to plug our 50A control panel power cord in a 30A wall outlet (standard dryer outlet).
Now I would be remiss if I did not mention that this sort of practice of using such a downgrading adapter is typically frowned upon for 100% safety reasons you really shouldn't allow devices that are too power hungry to be served by an outlet that is smaller than their rated power (in this case you're plugging a device capable of drawing 50A into a 30A outlet). The risk is low however since the only way to draw more than 30A from the 30A outlet would be to plug the heating elements into the incorrect receptacles on the control panel, or plug in more than two heating elements. Just figured I'd mention it.

Eventually when you move, install a 50A outlet and skip using the adapter and just plug the normal 50A control panel power cord directly to the wall.

If you don't have any outlet installed today, I'd install a 50A outlet (not 30A) and skip the adapter completely. It's also safer.

Cheers!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
tacticalbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum TB!

Many are using our 50A 30+ gallon control panel with only two heating elements in order to be future proof. When you're ready for more power, simply add an extra couple of heating elements.

The easiest way to do this is to have a 50A stove outlet installed on your wall today. That outlet will be ready to deliver up to 50A when driving 4 elements, but will also work perfectly well with only 2 elements running drawing half the current.

This way you don't need to replace anything. No need to replace the outlet, or the power cord.

To order your 50A control panel see here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel

Good luck!

Kal

Hi Kal,

Thanks for the quick response and all the info you have available on your site!

Maybe I left out a few details. I have an unused 30A dryer line already available (converted dryer to gas) and an unused 40A stove line (converted to gas as well) available. I was hoping to not have to run a new 50A line while I'm only doing 5-10 gal batches and using single elements in the HLT and Boil.

The 40A stove outlet would work without an adapter but it's a little hard to reach on the fly and I'm guessing 40A extension cords don't exist or are fairly pricey. Also the 30A is located in the basement with better access for brewing (utility tub + h2o + ventilation potential. This is why I was interested in the adapter above.

Again, thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge available on your site! It's encouraged me to make the plunge into electric brewing!

-TB

Last edited by tacticalbrewing on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
tacticalbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Err, wait a sec... I think you're asking something a bit different:

You already have a 30A outlet available to you today in the current house right? You want to know if you can use the 50A 30+ gallon control panel with the 50A power cord pus this adapter, as long as you stick to only one heating element per kettle?

Sure, that'll work just fine. Just make sure you do have a 30A GFI breaker installed upstream for safety reasons. Not just for operator/brewer safety (that's the GFI part) but also for wiring/overload safety in case you plug the heating elements in incorrectly and end up driving both at the same time. The 30A breaker should trip.

That adapter would allow you to do this.

Then when you move, install a 50A outlet and skip using the adapter and just plug the normal 50A control panel power cord directly to the wall.

If you don't have any outlet installed today, I'd install a 50A outlet (not 30A) and skip the adapter.

Cheers!

Kal

Hi Kal,

I just responded to your previous message before I saw this! Yes, I currently have a 30A, so it sound like the adapter will work now and when I move I'll get a 50A installed and add more heating elements accordingly Smile

Good note about the GFCI, I'll have to swap out the breaker.

Thanks again!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacticalbrewing wrote:
Maybe I left out a few details. I have an unused 30A dryer line already available

Gotcha! See my follow up response above! (I think I we were typing at the same time). Wink

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacticalbrewing wrote:
I just responded to your previous message before I saw this! Yes, I currently have a 30A, so it sound like the adapter will work now and when I move I'll get a 50A installed and add more heating elements accordingly Smile

Perfect! I did add a comment to my post above after you quoted around the general safety of using such a downgrading adapter, so make sure to give it a read again.

Our control panel order page is here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel

Let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: