Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Options for bumping up Ca

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Options for bumping up Ca Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just read through the water step-by-step and, maybe I missed it, but how do I adjust my Ca up?

With 1.2g Gypsum, 2.1g Calc. Chloride, and 2.3g Epsom, I am at:

Ca = 41ppm
Mg = 10ppm
Na = 22ppm
CI = 70ppm
SO4 = 70ppm

I read that we want CI and SO4 to be as close to a 1.0 ratio as possible, so if I just slightly bump the Gypsum and Calc Chloride, will that do the trick? Knocking Gypsum up to 1.6g and Calc Chloride up to 2.6g gets me to:

Ca = 49ppm
Mg = 10ppm
Na = 22ppm
CI = 78ppm
SO4 = 78ppm

All good?

Thanks,
Jason
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chloride / Sulfate ratio is a measuring tool, not a target.
In other words, a ratio of 1:0 will be balanced water, which will neither enhance malt characteristics or enhance hop flavors.
Chloride enhances maltiness. Sulfates accentuate hop.
It's best to determine what type of beer you're making and what water you're starting with we can go from there.
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, sorry. So shooting for a balanced water profile, thus targeting 1.0.

I guess my question could be generalized as, 'once i hit my numbers for Mg, Na, and have the SO4/CI ratio for the target profile, how can I raise Ca?'

Is the answer just keep adding SO4 and CI, maintaining the desired ratio between the two until Ca hits 50?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calcium is increased by adding Gypsum (CaSO4) and Calc. Chloride (CaCl2) which also affects SO4 and Cl. Use those until you hit your SO4 and Cl targets, then use Chalk (CaCO3) to adjust the rest of the way if you have to as that only affects Ca.

See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment?page=5
Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you're starting with RO water?
I would skip the Epsom. There's plenty of magnesium in the grains.
Just going blind without your volumes or recipe, 0.35 grams / gallon of gypsum and 0.30 grams / gallon of calcium chloride will give you these numbers:
Calcium 51
Magnesium 0
Sodium 4
Sulfate 52
Chloride 52
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: