Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Stymingersfink basement build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal wrote:
Since this is turning into a build thread, I figured it best to split this off into your own subject ...

Makes sense, thanks Kal.

Here is a PDF of the drawing.

New Basement.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  New Basement.pdf
 Filesize:  29.68 KB
 Downloaded:  486 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stymingersfink wrote:
I haven't decided if I should build columns for the speakers or wall mount them. Any suggestions?

Normally you'd want them into a room a bit so columns make sense as wall mounted speakers tend to lead to a lot of bumped heads. Wink

Quote:
For the brewery, I really like the design and layout of yours, Kal. I hope its alright that I'm mirroring your design. I will have a dedicated fermentation area and grain storage under the stairs. All in all, I'm liking it. Any thoughts to fine tune the design are welcome and encouraged.

Great! I wouldn't change a thing in my design. I spent a lot of time thinking about it/getting it the way I liked it, and am still happy with it today.

A few other general things I noticed with your design:

- How's the HT equipment room access work? It would appear the door will end up behind the screen? Is any of the equipment going to accessible from within the HT through a rack of some sort? Or do you have to go into the equipment room to play a disc?
One option you may want to consider is flipping the HT so that the screen is at the bottom. Not that it's critical, but walking into an HT at the screen end tends to be more "inviting" and appealing when you talk to HT designers. Also make sure the equipment room is properly ventilated (airflow). Equipment can get hot.

- How wide are the set of 3 HT seats? What brand/manufacturer? You show the whole HT as 13'4" wide including space to walk around both sides (more than I have) so the seats must be narrower than mine but I have what's probably the narrowest seats in existence. Just want to make sure you're not stuck trying to find seating that fits after the fact.

- How's the walk in beer cooler work? How's it cooled? Where will the heat go?

Overall a really nice space! Can't wait to see it all finished!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
How's the HT equipment room access work? It would appear the door will end up behind the screen? Is any of the equipment going to accessible from within the HT through a rack of some sort? Or do you have to go into the equipment room to play a disc?
One option you may want to consider is flipping the HT so that the screen is at the bottom. Not that it's critical, but walking into an HT at the screen end tends to be more "inviting" and appealing when you talk to HT designers. Also make sure the equipment room is properly ventilated (airflow). Equipment can get hot.

The screen is 100" wide, so there would be a small 2'4" door on one side. But you would have to walk behind the front speaker and into the room to play a disc or access any of the equipment. I thought about putting a rack there, but that would interfere with access and then all the LED's would be shining back at you while watching. I was going to vent some cold air from the cooler into the equipment room for cooling.

I like the idea of flipping the room. I thought about that at first but thought you would want to enter at the back instead of by the screen. (Probably because at the movies you enter from the back, so I just thought thats how you do it.) But I can see the appeal of a front entrance and with the door shut, there wouldn't be any problem with light falling across the screen. I will do that.

Quote:
ow wide are the set of 3 HT seats? What brand/manufacturer?

Here is a link to the seats. It is just the result of a google search but they seem pretty nice. I have no idea what theater seats should cost or where I should get them. Have a look and I would appreciate any advice.

http://www.theaterseatstore.com/octane-bolt-power-bonded?sc=229&category=1597919

Quote:
How's the walk in beer cooler work? How's it cooled? Where will the heat go?

I will build the walls with 2x6 top and bottom plates but use 2x4 studs staggered and offset to avoid thermal bridging as well as decoupling the HT side. All the HT interior walls will be built this way. Then I will build a 2x6 false floor with either a short ramp or a lift to get heavy fermenters in and out. Then for the cooler walls and floor I will use closed cell spray foam to insulate. I will end up around r-34 on six sides minus the door. I am deciding between a glycol chiller to be able to manage each fermenter individually or using this product:

https://www.storeitcold.com/product/coolbot-walk-in-cooler-controller/

It would be wired into a small ductless mini split to cool the whole room. In either instance the compressor would be mounted outside on a low roof with refrigerant lines running to a heat exchanger mounted in the cooler. My house is entirely concrete and will be well insulated and sealed so I have to put the heat outside. Do you have any advice on which option would be better?

If I went with the glycol chiller, I think I would pipe into the equipment room and build a heat exchanger and fan unit to cool the HT equipment.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For HT seating I’d ask over at my CurtPalme.com home theater forum. I know there have been many seating discussions over the years. Try AVSforum too - there have definitely been some horror stories about theaterseatstore.com over the years.

I don’t have any glycol vs Coolbot suggestions either - both can work, it really depends on how you implement.

Good luck!

Kal

Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
I don’t have any glycol vs Coolbot suggestions either - both can work, it really depends on how you implement.

My question is more about what will be more useful? An entire room that is cooled or cooling the fermenters individually and then serving from a Keezer?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. There's probably some cutover / volume amount where one makes more sense than the other. It may also depend on how it's implemented. It's not really a subject I know a lot about. Lots of research would be required... Wink

Kal

Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stymingersfink wrote:
My question is more about what will be more useful? An entire room that is cooled or cooling the fermenters individually and then serving from a Keezer?

My personal opinion... cool things individually. If you cool the entire room you lose flexibility. Now that space is basically either designated for fermenting or for lagering/storage. It can't really be both. If you have a fridge of some sort in that space then you can lager/store in that and then you could maintain fermentation temps for the rest of the space. But I'm not a fan of having one large fermenting space either. Again, it lacks flexibility. If you have individual control over each fermenter then you can set temps based on individual yeast and you can manipulate the temp for a d-rest and such. Again, with one space every beer you make better be an ale and the yeasts better all like the same temperature. Kal's Danby fridges are a great example of individual temperature control. For what it's worth, the concrete floor and wall in that space, if left exposed and simply painted, will likely help keep that little room at a great ale temperature without any cooling unit. Just food for thought.

Mug
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creepy wrote:
My personal opinion... cool things individually...Just food for thought.

I appreciate the input, and I agree. I am worried about the lack of flexibility on one hand and the usefulness of a large walk-in on the other. Another thought I have had is to extend the cooler space all the way to the left wall and move the HT electronics into a rack mounted flush to the HT side of the wall. Then divide the space into 2 or three compartments that get successively colder as you go in. I guess the question I need to answer is how many different temperatures will I need? My brewing experience is limited enough that I can't answer that for myself. I have really only ever needed three. cold serving temp of around 38, layering around 55 and fermenting around 68.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creepy has some good points. Thinking about it some more, I'd probably only want one large cooled storage area if it was just about freezing for conditioning/lagering/storing kegs of finished beer.

When I ferment the temperature is never consistent. It'll usually start off lower but then it's often raised over time, possibly for things like a d-rest. I'll often do split batches too with different yeasts and require different fermentation temps. I never brew enough to fill an entire room full of wort either. Wink

Kal

Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to smell what you guys are stepping in. Flexibility is key. I am going to have two different tap setups in the house. One where you see it just outside the brewery, and another upstairs in the great room. So, if I divide that alcove into two spaces and cool the back one to serving temp and run my serving lines all from the same spot. It could also be used for conditioning. I could also put the glycol recirculator in a liquid bath in that room, then use that to individually manage the temps of all the fermentors in the front area.
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted about the walk-in on another forum and got some good feedback. I want keep my serving kegs in the walk-in, but that will require a long set of lines to get to my Great room. For that I am going to need a glycol chiller. So I'm going to divide the space into 2 rooms with the back one being about 1/3 the size of the front. I will cool the back to 38 f and use it for serving and cold conditioning. The front will be unrefrigerated and I will use fermenters will chill coils in them. I will use the glycol chiller to cool them to whatever temp is required and use a heating pad if I need them warmer than ambient. I think this system will give me maximum flexibility while keeping all thing beer centrally located.

Thoughts?
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about fermenters with a coil inside it sounds like you are considering conicals. If so, I personally wouldn't want to tuck them away in a closet. They are a really nice show piece. Kal's fridges with the LED lights and brewbuckets are a prime example of showing off the bling... with all the effort (ahem, money) you'll be putting into this, I'd be biased to keep it on display in your brewery. That is the great thing about controlling their temp internally and individually, no closet required. The cold storage still remains as a great solution to bulk aging and such. However, I'd do everything I could to keep the trunk line length manageable. I'm not the most savvy on balancing a draught system, but you could start to have issues with lines that are exedingly long (i.e. Lots of wasted product...). Just a few thoughts.

On another note, what are you using the space under the stairs for? Could that be a potential place for cold storage as well? Lines would certainly be shorter. However it would require moving your brewery door to the left side there. Just thinking out loud.
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creepy wrote:
If you are talking about fermenters with a coil inside it sounds like you are considering conicals. If so, I personally wouldn't want to tuck them away in a closet. They are a really nice show piece. Kal's fridges with the LED lights and brewbuckets are a prime example of showing off the bling... with all the effort (ahem, money) you'll be putting into this, I'd be biased to keep it on display in your brewery. That is the great thing about controlling their temp internally and individually, no closet required. The cold storage still remains as a great solution to bulk aging and such. However, I'd do everything I could to keep the trunk line length manageable. I'm not the most savvy on balancing a draught system, but you could start to have issues with lines that are exedingly long (i.e. Lots of wasted product...). Just a few thoughts.

On another note, what are you using the space under the stairs for? Could that be a potential place for cold storage as well? Lines would certainly be shorter. However it would require moving your brewery door to the left side there. Just thinking out loud.

You are right on target, I am talking conicals. I have move the door to the walk-in so its offset to the front of the room. It will be a glass door and I will give each conical its own light in the ceiling to get full bling value. That way as you look into the brewery, you will be able to see them through the glass door. Thats another benefit of not cooling that room, I don't have to worry about r value of the door. I can't find pics of Kal's fridges. Can you please post a link?

I think, since I am getting the same tap that Kal used as well as a wall mounted version for upstairs and the associated lines from Micromatic, they will design the dispensing system for me. They sell Glycol chillers and they will put together an entire package for me. I hadn't thought about the wasted beer issue. That is a sin! Shocked I think I would be able to push all the beer out of the lines into a glass though.

The space under the stairs won't have a wall separating it from the brewery it will be finished space and will be used for grain and equipment storage.
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the updated plan.

New Basement.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  New Basement.pdf
 Filesize:  29.27 KB
 Downloaded:  444 Time(s)

Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to Kal's fridges...
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ferment-and-package

As for the glass door, I really like that idea. That could look very cool. The one thing I would ask myself is, how much fermentation space do I need? Most folks using conicals don't have more than 2 or 3. Kal uses those two brew buckets and that's all the fermentation space he needs. A half barrel Ss Brewtech conical is only 18" wide I believe, so that room of yours could fit quite a bit in there. Either that room can serve another purpose as well or it's oversized for fermenting alone. My conicals are right on the wall next to my brewstand so I can rack off to them right in place. No casters, no moving. If you'll be rolling large conicals around I would at the very least ensure you have a smooth, level surface from the brew stand into the room.

Micromatic is pretty terrific. Great equipment and nice folks in sales that will put together a great package for you. I love not too far from them and still need to get over there to pick up my order. They will set you up. However, the one thug I would consider is getting a smaller glycol power pack. Theirs are all rather large for in-home applications. The one from Ss Brewtech is a good bit smaller and might fit your application. It's at least worth digging into a bit. Linked below is one I found that is the same model as the Ss Brewtech one only not modified and branded Ss so the cost is a bit lower. I've not ordered it yet but will likely do so down the road.
http://rapidswholesale.com/3-gal-glycol-unit-1-3-hp-120v.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyum6BRDQ-9jU4PSVxf8BEiQAu1AHqsVECZbJWGY4BOSEJ-buJOL8OJEjoqmAVDR7JfcbVogaApaB8P8HAQ

As a side note, thanks for helping me procrastinate on some work I should be doing. Brewery talk is always way more fulfilling.

Cheers!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stymingersfink wrote:
Here is the updated plan.

Where's the HT equipment go now?

Kal

Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, those are pretty cool.

I am thinking the glass door idea would be pretty awesome. As far as how much space I need, I am not really sure. I am coming from a position of having always brewed in my kitchen and then fermenting in whatever space I can carve out in the small and overcrowded basement we have now. One of the things I am dealing with is that the layout of the space is largely dictated by the required dimensions of the home theater. So, I end up with that 4'6" alcove at the back. If I don't use it for fermentation, am not sure what else to use it for. I suppose I could just put some shelving along the wall and use it for storage, but it sort of begs for some better use.

I have been looking at the Unitank from SS Brewtech.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/home-unitanks/products/14-gal-unitank

I like the idea of being able to use it a a brite tank as well. If I had enough space (and money) I could put in enough of those for everything including serving. I would like to put some fittings in the wall so I can rack to the fermenters in place without having to bring them into the main room.

I think having everything well plumbed and installed looks way sexier.

I think ultimately a lot of that space will be initially unfinished and it will evolve as I brew and learn how my brewery wants to work and what my workflow wants to be. I just want to be sure that I design the infrastructure to be ready for whatever I decide to do with it. Since my walls floor and ceiling are all concrete, its much more difficult to do after the fact.

Quote:
As a side note, thanks for helping me procrastinate on some work I should be doing. Brewery talk is always way more fulfilling.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I am sitting here working on the engineering for the project, and as hard as I try to stay focused, I keep checking the thread to see if anyone has responded. Brew talk is WAAYY more fun than math!
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Where's the HT equipment go now?

You had to notice that didn't you. Confused I'm not sure.

I tried to put it in a nook in that wall, but by the time I insulate it, I don't have any space left in the cooler. I set that back speaker at about 147 degrees of the screen centerline If I moved it away from the back wall a bit, I could recess the rack in the wall right at the corner. I was trying to keep the rear surrounds behind the back row of seats. How critical is that?

It would look like this.

Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little broader view. The speaker is spaced 24" from the back wall and is 142 degrees off centerline.

The other option would be to put them in a cabinet below the screen or somewhere in that area.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stymingersfink wrote:
I was trying to keep the rear surrounds behind the back row of seats. How critical is that?

Use dipole or bipole speakers and it probably won't matter as you're looking at diffuse sound anyway.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: