Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Short - replacement socket - frustrated

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Short - replacement socket - frustrated Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ok so over the years somehow wort got inside my BK element enclosure and shorted out/melted the base of the element and the socket on the panel instead of popping the GFI breaker. Went to the site to see what part I had to order to teplace the socket. Ordered it and just went to install it and guess what - it's not the exact same thing. Awesome. The ones on the panel I have are gray and the one the site had me order is white. Also shapes are slightly different but still should work just won't match 100%. Trying to remove old socket and can't figure it out. Wires going into socket won't release. Screw only backs off about 1/8 of a turn. Loosened the screws but wires which I thought would lift up don't. Not much room to get my huge damn hands in their either which doesn't help. Going to try and post pics which should be self explanatory.

socket1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.8 KB
 Viewed:  5659 Time(s)

socket1.jpg

socket3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.16 KB

socket3.jpg

socket2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.83 KB

socket2.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roadie! Is this a panel we built for you? If yes, email us at SpikeInnovations@TheElectricBrewery.com and we can assist and make sure you get the right part.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you guys built it. I didn't realize there were different parts for build it yourself vs Spike built. Should I send this part back that I got through Amazon?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! It's not that they're different, it's that different manufacturers will have slightly different diameters so the hole size in the panel has to match. The heating element cord will fit, but you're likely finding it hard to get the receptacle installed in the panel.

Just got your email and it's been forwarded off to Mike at Spike Innovations who'll be able to get this sorted for you and get you a matching part for panel purchased in 2013. Sorry for the issues!

P.S. You may want to get that GFI breaker looked at / make sure it's installed and working correctly. If something shorts out and draws more than 30A it's important that it work for safety reasons. If your breaker/GFI isn't working correctly then when an issue occurs, something else has to give (in this case it was the electrical receptacle) which is not what we want as parts can be damaged due to the extreme current draw, damage that may not be visible. It's also not safe. The GFI breaker is supposed to cut out first and protect the equipment and the operator.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, I need to get back to brewing so hopefully Mike will reach out to me this coming week. I received the new heating element from him a few days ago. I have no idea why the breaker didn't trip but you're right it should have and then I wouldn't be in this predicament. On the to do list for further investigation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: