Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Condensation Hood
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mplaing

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have the same issue here, I built a temporary condensate hood 6' x 3' x 1', inline vortex 600 used, duct length is no more than 6', one elbow from off centre top, almost between kettle and mash. Duct is 6" from hood to fan then reduced to 4" to go outside.

Make up air comes from a window approx 2' x 2' opened. Dripping begins when water gets to 206F. Have you ever solved your condensation issues?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Condensation Hood Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Having a problem with moisture collecting on the flat top of the condensation hood and dripping down onto the kettles. If I had to do things again I'd have purchased a condensation hood with baffles. Actually, I recommend getting a condensation hood with baffles even if one doesn't believe they are needed. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Now I'm researching if I can retrofit baffles into my condensation hood. No fun.

Have you ever solved your issues? One question: What is the size of your brew room (width, length and ceiling height)?

I am having very similar issues you described and my space is very large so I am coming up with the theory air cycles is an issue since my space is 4,420 cubic feet and would require a fan with CFM rating close to 1,200 CFM.

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to read others are having the same condensate problem as me, but I'm also happy others are having the same problem as this verifies the condensate problem I am having.

Unfortunately, no. I even contacted the original manufacturer. Lesson learned. GET THE BAFFLES WITH THE HOOD!
mplaing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply - I am in the process of redoing a test hood and plan to incorporate baffers.

Do you have photos or diagrams of the baffers your hood has if you've got them added?

How do they function? Does a lot of condensate build up in the channels?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't have any photos of the hood with baffles. It's my understanding the steam rises thru the baffles, condensates, falls, is caught by the baffles and directed to the gutters on the side of the hood.

My hood get almost zero condensate in the channels. All the condensate is on the top of the hood, which I must, from time-to-time, wipe off to prevent from dripping into my brew kettle.
mplaing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, just to be clear you haven't gotten baffles for your hood yet?

I can imagine baffles will solve my issue, I am just trying to figure what the variable is that affects my (or in other words our) system as I've got a hood (test) similar to the original design as KAL, but venting out the top, same CFM rating fan, same amount of power, etc.

The only variable I've been able to come up with was room size which seems like it shouldn't.

What size is your brewery room?

I am currently in the process of relocating my fan horizontally and increasing the angle of the duct pipe to encourage condensation to drain at the side of my hood into a gutter.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mplaing wrote:
No problem, just to be clear you haven't gotten baffles for your hood yet?

I can imagine baffles will solve my issue, I am just trying to figure what the variable is that affects my (or in other words our) system as I've got a hood (test) similar to the original design as KAL, but venting out the top, same CFM rating fan, same amount of power, etc.

The only variable I've been able to come up with was room size which seems like it shouldn't.

What size is your brewery room?

I am currently in the process of relocating my fan horizontally and increasing the angle of the duct pipe to encourage condensation to drain at the side of my hood into a gutter.

Nope, no baffles in my hood.

Perhaps, Kal's weather/humidity is different than ours? Doesn't matter what time of the year I brew I have the hood condensate problem (collecting on the flat top and dripping back down). My vortex fan is running full speed. Fresh air/replacement air valve is wide open.
mplaing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response - once I get my test hood put up, I'll post the results so people know, what size is your brewery room?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll measure the room size as soon as possible and get back.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mplaing, as I mentioned in the other thread, room size doesn’t matter. For example: Show me one stove manufacturer or US state code (or Canadian province building code) who dictate hood size based on room size. You won’t find any as it doesn’t factor in. It doesn’t make sense. What matters in hood fan sizing is stove output. That’s it. Same goes with an electric kettle used for boiling wort. I only say this as I don't want to see someone go down the rabbit hole in a wild goose chase.

I recommend you check your fan flow rate with the suggestions I outlined previously in the other thread. You may have blockage.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have baffles in my hood so I just want to throw some info in from my experience -

If you go with a baffled hood, be sure to incorporate some form of drain/collection process with the gutter.

If you are already having condensation form on the top of your hood, the problem will be magnified when you add the baffles.
The condensation forms mainly due to the hot super saturated air and the temperature differential of the hood itself.
Just like a cold beer in the summer time!
The surface area that the air passes over once baffles are installed is greatly increased, meaning there is much more surface area for condensation to form - and boy let me tell you, it does!

It is not uncommon that I will capture nearly a gallon of water in my baffle drain after a typical brew day.
What I had not contemplated during my build was the placement of my make-up air duct.
My make up air duct is very close to my hood, which seemed like a great idea at the time of the build.
However, in the winter time, I'm pulling much cooler air across one side of the baffles from the make up air duct which causes that side of the baffles to condensate at a far heavier rate.

One great side effect - I rarely get any condensation dripping from the drain hole in my fan motor!

I'm not sure how much dripping you are experiencing, but I will tell you this - you will most likely get some drippage with baffles installed as well.
The majority of the condensation does occur inside the baffle assembly and is then channeled to the gutter/drain.
But, some condensation does occur on the lower surface of the baffle and gravity wins about 50% of the time before the drop flows all the way to the bottom of the baffle and into the gutter.

So I just reach up and wipe the surface of my baffles every ten minutes or so during the boil, much less frequently in the summer time as the air temp is higher and the condensation does not form as readily.
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, today, I stumbled into a solution with the dripping hood condensate.

Doing my 19th electric brew. Surprisingly, temp and humidity are descent outside so AC is off. Fresh air pipe closed. When running the hood fan I have the brewery door open and a box fan on the floor. Guess what? No dripping condensate.

I can only conclude the fresh air pipe is too close to the hood thereby causing condensate. I'll know better next time AC or furnace is on and I use the box fan on the floor again.

Thoughts?
YeastFeast

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting. I'm dripping all over the place! I have a VTX600. It's 1.5' from hood, a 90º turn, then 4' out the basement.

Attached is also a video of the dripping.

Any thoughts? I'm running the fan on full blast.

Thanks for any help!

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000060641094/media/1674057202139576/large/1596505425/enhance
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YeastFeast wrote:
This is interesting. I'm dripping all over the place! I have a VTX600. It's 1.5' from hood, a 90º turn, then 4' out the basement. Attached is also a video of the dripping.

I don't see the video, but I recommend reading and follow the ventilation build instructions so that you provide a means for condensation to escape from the fan. Some condensation is normal. You need to give it a path out.
You should also tape up all seams so that any condensation makes it's way out in the path you've set. (including in the elbows).
See my ventilation article: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ventilation

Good luck!

Kal

YeastFeast

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Can't figure out how to upload the video. It's a .MOV and it won't upload for some reason. The video really show the amount of dripping. Have studied your website, wanted to get your opinion on the amount of dripping.
The error always says "Tried to upload empty file".

kal wrote:
YeastFeast wrote:
This is interesting. I'm dripping all over the place! I have a VTX600. It's 1.5' from hood, a 90º turn, then 4' out the basement. Attached is also a video of the dripping.

I don't see the video, but I recommend reading and follow the ventilation build instructions so that you provide a means for condensation to escape from the fan. Some condensation is normal. You need to give it a path out.
You should also tape up all seams so that any condensation makes it's way out in the path you've set. (including in the elbows).
See my ventilation article: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ventilation

Good luck!

Kal

ventilation.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.47 KB
 Viewed:  10103 Time(s)

ventilation.jpeg

YeastFeast

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the video of the dripping.
Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/9VCFcTLHIxU

Thanks!
RD
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! See my previous comments.

Kal

YeastFeast

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi! See my previous comments.

Kal

Hello!
I've followed everything in your ventilation section, all joints are taped but apparently not nearly good enough as it leaks everywhere. I also put silicone in the wiring box and around the perimeter of the fan but I see it dripping out of the box so again not good enough!
So based on the video, you're saying tape the vent joints better, force everything out one hole (bottom of fan) and I should be good?? Just seems like too much moisture to force through that hole. I'll give it a try though.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell but it appears you're missing tape between the the pieces of metal that make up the elbow joints. Water can leak out anywhere where two pieces of metal join up and the elbows are 4-5 pieces of metal just held together by friction. Tape all joints where metal meets metal, not just where the pieces you purchased join together.

Have you provided a means for condensation to escape from the fan? You need to allow a means for water to escape out the bottom of the fan with a drip hole. See my ventilation guide for how this is done. Some condensation is normal, I get about a cup per brew day and it collects in a bowl under the fan out of the drip hole I provided. By controlling where it drips, you don't get it being forced out in other spots.

YeastFeast wrote:
So based on the video, you're saying tape the vent joints better, force everything out one hole (bottom of fan) and I should be good??

Correct.

There are also extra hints in the ventilation guide that can help, including using insulation which helps minimize the amount of steam that condenses in the first place which helps lower the amount of water. If it's cold the area you're brewing that would help as it helps keep the steam as steam.

Good luck!

Kal

YeastFeast

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help. I think I'm going to re-tape everything. I was watching closely (on my water test runs) and the moisture was seeping through the "crinkles" of the tape and then dripping out. I must not have taped carefully enough or perhaps I'm using the wrong tape, I need to take another look at the tape you recommend.

Yes, I did leave that bottom hole of the fan open and some water was coming out of there (I think you can see it in the video) but not nearly enough to matter as it was dripping from everywhere else pretty significantly.

RD
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: