Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Basement Ventilation

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaltPig

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Basement Ventilation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looking for some guidance. My basement is currently being finished and I want to make sure my plan for ventilation in the future brew room is not flawed before the drywall goes up.

I haven't been able to find an exhaust hood that didn't either cost a fortune or look wrong in the space. One of the HVAC guys I was working with recommended simply using a pair of high-CFM bathroom fans instead of a custom condensate hood.

Panasonic makes a quiet 290 CFM fan. My room has around 800 cubic feet of airspace. Would two of these, placed roughly over the brewing area, provide sufficient ventilation for a 15 gallon, 5500-watt setup? I have a window in the room to provide make-up air.

I like the look of a hood but the fabrications quotes in the Chicago burbs are crazy ($1200+ for aluminium, more for stainless)

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

290CFM x 2 should move enough air, assuming it's really 290CFM (see my ventilation article for information on how CFM isn't always what they say it is).

One issue is to make sure that the fans are meant to move hot / humid air from a boil. If the fan's ok to use over a stove then you're good, but that may be an extreme. Problem is that most bathroom fans are there only for shower steam or just air evacuation after someone (ahem) does their business. Wink

Another issue is condensation: A hood is good at capturing it. With no hood the steam's going straight up and will likely condense on the ceiling directly above the kettle.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Basement Ventilation Reply with quote

SaltPig wrote:
I haven't been able to find an exhaust hood that didn't either cost a fortune or look wrong in the space.

Check out the FRP builds here: (not mine)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=371453

I know they are not SS.... but something said for a DYI hood for $76!
SaltPig

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum!

290CFM x 2 should move enough air, assuming it's really 290CFM (see my ventilation article for information on how CFM isn't always what they say it is).

One issue is to make sure that the fans are meant to move hot / humid air from a boil. If the fan's ok to use over a stove then you're good, but that may be an extreme. Problem is that most bathroom fans are there only for shower steam or just air evacuation after someone (ahem) does their business. Wink

Another issue is condensation: A hood is good at capturing it. With no hood the steam's going straight up and will likely condense on the ceiling directly above the kettle.

Kal

Thanks, I am halfway through building my control panel now and your information has been incredibly helpful.

The steam condensing on the ceiling is my primary concern with this arrangement.

JSB wrote:
SaltPig wrote:
I haven't been able to find an exhaust hood that didn't either cost a fortune or look wrong in the space.

Check out the FRP builds here: (not mine)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=371453

I know they are not SS.... but something said for a DYI hood for $76!

Those look pretty good. Giving me ideas of maybe building a soffit around something like that.
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one of these (NuTone QT300 High Capacity Fan, 300 CFM, White Grille - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00168IB5Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00&redirect=true&psc=1&pldnSite=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=8a3a471ee81a669f183aee7d4426342f) over my BK, figuring that 300 CFM was good for the dry climate in San Diego. Failed to read the part about not being good around water. First brew went great. Second brew had water gushing out of the fan back into the BK - sure the fan pulled enough air, but it quickly condensed in the fan housing. Needless to say I ripped the sucker out of the ceiling that night.
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple angled exhaust fan has served me quite well. You can empty the drip pan or add a drain line like I did.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennessee wrote:
A simple angled exhaust fan has served me quite well. You can empty the drip pan or add a drain line like I did.

That looks really sharp. Also the lighting in that room is great.

GrumpyWally wrote:
I put one of these (NuTone QT300 High Capacity Fan, 300 CFM, White Grille - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00168IB5Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00&redirect=true&psc=1&pldnSite=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=8a3a471ee81a669f183aee7d4426342f) over my BK, figuring that 300 CFM was good for the dry climate in San Diego. Failed to read the part about not being good around water. First brew went great. Second brew had water gushing out of the fan back into the BK - sure the fan pulled enough air, but it quickly condensed in the fan housing. Needless to say I ripped the sucker out of the ceiling that night.

Shocked Yikes. That is exactly what I was planning to do, thanks for the warning. I have revised my plan to include a 900cfm exhaust hood insert installed in a soffit above the boil kettle. (got a good deal on this) I may keep one of the bathroom vents in the center of the room just to keep things nice dry but that seems like overkill at this point.
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Basement Ventilation Reply with quote

SaltPig wrote:
I have a window in the room to provide make-up air.

Because you are open to ideas....

My grand plan includes something like this:

https://www.zoro.com/dayton-remote-balancing-damper-6-in-48c159/i/G6992361/?gclid=CjwKCAjwk4vMBRAgEiwA4ftLs0yh5IpRKxiTI6HO7CvEeq9nxUj0HRPjjukW3jvwmDKTt8loyBZ-JxoCtQgQAvD_BwE

(a google search for "vent balancer"brought up this vendor... I have never used them)

My thought is to have a grill to the exterior for return air... then have the motorized damper open up only when the fan is running.

Last edited by JSB on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaltPig wrote:

Shocked Yikes. That is exactly what I was planning to do, thanks for the warning. I have revised my plan to include a 900cfm exhaust hood insert installed in a soffit above the boil kettle. (got a good deal on this) I may keep one of the bathroom vents in the center of the room just to keep things nice dry but that seems like overkill at this point.

Glad to have helped.There's a picture of what I replaced the fan with at: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30943, about halfway down the thread.

Note that my setup is lot closer to Kal 1.0 rather than the more elaborate Kal 2.0 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: