Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

PH meter necessity and use
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: PH meter necessity and use Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looking for input on how many people have actually purchased and use a PH meter for every brew and if they feel it is really necessary.

I am almost completed with my build and one thing I still don't have is the PH meter. I plan to use 100% RO water so my HLT and MLT salt additions should be purely computed from EZ-water. It seems that the most important time Kal uses the PH meter is during the mash to make sure that the mash is acidic enough and it appears you are mostly concerned with this with really light beers where the .

I guess my question is even if you use the PH meter often throughout the brew process, how often are you adding lactic acid to adjust for a high PH vs just checking and having peace of mind that the PH is in normal range?

Just trying to determine if it is something that I really want/need to invest in and maintain. Thanks for your input.

-Loren
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loren,

Mash pH is most certainly the most important place to measure pH, at least for me. For some acidifying the sparge water would also matter. I really depends on your water.

The problem with using EZ water to calculate pH is that it's horribly inaccurate. This is not a slam at EZ water, but simply a fact due to the complexities involved with calculating pH. The calculated pH value that EZ comes up with sometimes gets close to the measured value, and sometimes is quite off. It's somewhat random. I remember someone here asking about this and I posted a dozen or so comparisons from my various brews to show how random it seems to be for me.

I know there's been talk around various forums about people coming up with new more accurate software however - not sure where that's at or how accurate it is or what the status is. Important to getting accurate values is ensuring that the data fed into the calculator is complete and accurate too of course.

At the end of the day I find a good pH meter to be a somewhat minor investment in the grand scheme of things when you factor in everything else. I'm actually still on my original probe tip too which is surprising. So the cost for me over the years has been very low. So far I've made 101 batches on my meter/first probe!

I use this meter: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=5

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, after you take a PH reading, how often are you making an adjustment. Also, is that adjustment always to add lactic or do you sometime add a base to raise the PH? Only ever seen you mention adding lactic to lower it.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGarby wrote:
Thanks Kal, after you take a PH reading, how often are you making an adjustment.

Do you mean after the initial mash-in? How often I adjust will have nothing to do with how often you may have to adjust as your beers will be different as will your starting water chemistry. Don't use what I do with my water and the beers I make as something to dictate how you should use your setup or whether you should be using a pH meter. Your brews and water will be different. I believe you're trying to draw a conclusion on what you should do, based on the beers I make and the water I have available to me. That doesn't make sense I'm afraid.

You're looking for a black and white answer is a world of grey I'm afraid.

Is a pH meter required? Of course not. Brewers have been making beer for 10,000 years without them. Will a pH meter make better beer for you? Maybe. That depends on your water, the beers you're making, and how fussy you are about the quality of beer you want to make. Nobody can answer these questions for you. Nobody else knows your water or what beers you plan on making.

Quote:
Also, is that adjustment always to add lactic or do you sometime add a base to raise the PH? Only ever seen you mention adding lactic to lower it.

Brewers rarely add anything to raise pH. I never have myself.

Kal

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything Kal said. I don't think he said these exact words, but just because you use RO water, doesn't mean that your water is 7.0 pH. He's right also in saying that your water will buffer differently and require more or less acid than other people. You won't know unless you test it.

I've used 100% RO, 100% city water and often a mix of the two. I have added Lactic Acid to every batch. Depending on what source you quote, mash pH should be between 5.4 and 5.7 in order to keep alpha and beta amylase happy and doing their job. If you're much higher or lower than that you theoretically won't get full extraction of sugars - which means you're spending money on malt (sugar) and throwing unused sugar out with your spent grain. Higher efficiency means you're maximizing your grain costs. Sparge water should be in that 5.5 range too. Pre-boil pH should be between 5.2 and 5.4, and finished beer often finishes between 4.2 and 4.7 mostly for "correct" flavor/sensory perception and to keep bacterias out. I personally test all of those parameters.

If you're outside these specs and don't know it and don't care, then that's entirely up to you. This is spot on:
Kal- 'Is a pH meter required? Of course not. Brewers have been making beer for 10,000 years without them. Will a pH meter make better beer for you? Maybe. That depends on your water, the beers you're making, and how fussy you are about the quality of beer you want to make. Nobody can answer these questions for you. Nobody else knows your water or what beers you plan on making.'

I had problems with the pH meter Kal recommended and had to replace the tip after less than a year. It seems to be working better now though so I would say I do recommend it again. Just make sure the tip doesn't dry out - keep it in storage solution and calibrate on brew day before you use it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGruber wrote:
I agree with everything Kal said. I don't think he said these exact words, but just because you use RO water, doesn't mean that your water is 7.0 pH.

Though the pH of the water doesn't really matter. To quote myself from here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment?page=5

Quote:
What about the pH of the water? Isn't that important?

No. Ignore the pH of your starting water. How the water reacts to the various grains, acids, and salts we add is what matters. The goal is to achieve a mash pH that helps convert the starches to sugars. How easily your water's pH drops as you add the various grains, acids and so forth is a function of the residual alkalinity (see previous question), not the starting pH. In a later step we'll be adding acid to the mash if the pH is too high.

McGruber wrote:
I've used 100% RO, 100% city water and often a mix of the two. I have added Lactic Acid to every batch. Depending on what source you quote, mash pH should be between 5.4 and 5.7 in order to keep alpha and beta amylase happy and doing their job. If you're much higher or lower than that you theoretically won't get full extraction of sugars - which means you're spending money on malt (sugar) and throwing unused sugar out with your spent grain. Higher efficiency means you're maximizing your grain costs. Sparge water should be in that 5.5 range too. Pre-boil pH should be between 5.2 and 5.4, and finished beer often finishes between 4.2 and 4.7 mostly for "correct" flavor/sensory perception and to keep bacterias out. I personally test all of those parameters.

Spot on. Some good info here!

Quote:
I had problems with the pH meter Kal recommended and had to replace the tip after less than a year. It seems to be working better now though so I would say I do recommend it again. Just make sure the tip doesn't dry out - keep it in storage solution and calibrate on brew day before you use it.

Where'd you buy it if you don't mind me asking? I believe one of the issues people have had is that they're receiving an already dried out tip. Best to buy from a 'bigger' retailer who moves these a lot. I bought mine here: https://www.morebeer.com/products/ph-meter-phep-5.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Kal

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Where'd you buy it if you don't mind me asking? I believe one of the issues people have had is that they're receiving an already dried out tip. Best to buy from a 'bigger' retailer who moves these a lot. I bought mine here: https://www.morebeer.com/products/ph-meter-phep-5.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

I bought it more than two years ago, and I don't recall exactly. I used your links as much as possible, and have bought almost all my equipment off MoreBeer. It's possible I got it off Amazon though.

I was consistently frustrated with the numbers and pH drift. I contacted Hanna and they said it was a bad probe. I ordered a new one and it has been fine since. The new tip did dry out once and didn't calibrate right the day I brewed, but a soak in cleaning solution overnight fixed it.
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. Does the meter ship with the tip in solution somehow to keep it wet? How hard is it to keep the tip from drying out if you only brew once a month or so? I assume the cap isnt air tight so the liquid would evaporate over time and I don't anticipate brewing as often as you.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGarby wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. Does the meter ship with the tip in solution somehow to keep it wet?

What can happen is that a seller has the units sit on a shelf somewhere for extended periods and the tips dry out. It was a good 8 years ago since I got mine, but I think the probe was separate from the unit, stored in a sealed bag with some sort of attachment to keep the tip wet.

If you receive it and the probe tip is dry, odds are the probe won't last.

Once you use it there's a little sponge in there that you soak with storage solution before you put the cap on.

LGarby wrote:
How hard is it to keep the tip from drying out if you only brew once a month or so? I assume the cap isnt air tight so the liquid would evaporate over time and I don't anticipate brewing as often as you.

Not at all hard. Mine's always still completely wet and I brew about every month. You can probably easily go 2-3 months without any issues easily (I'm guessing her). The cap is fairly airtight so you should have minimal evaporation. My guess is that probes that are received completely dry probably sat on a shelf somewhere (possibly in heat too) for a year or more.

If you're concerned with it drying out, check it after a month and add more storage solution in the tip if required.

Kal

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Once you use it there's a little sponge in there that you soak with storage solution before you put the cap on.

There's a sponge in yours??? I've just been filling the probe reservoir with storage solution, but it does tend to dry out in about a month.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - Mine came with a little chunk of spongy material.

Kal

LarMoeCur

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: PH meter necessity and use Reply with quote

LGarby wrote:
Looking for input on how many people have actually purchased and use a PH meter for every brew and if they feel it is really necessary.

I am almost completed with my build and one thing I still don't have is the PH meter. I plan to use 100% RO water so my HLT and MLT salt additions should be purely computed from EZ-water. It seems that the most important time Kal uses the PH meter is during the mash to make sure that the mash is acidic enough and it appears you are mostly concerned with this with really light beers where the .

I guess my question is even if you use the PH meter often throughout the brew process, how often are you adding lactic acid to adjust for a high PH vs just checking and having peace of mind that the PH is in normal range?

Just trying to determine if it is something that I really want/need to invest in and maintain. Thanks for your input.

To answer the main question, how often are you adding lactic acid? Almost every batch. Any beer I can see through will get acid. Some darker beers depending on the grain bill will get acid. I contentiously checking my mash pH, sparge water pH, and pre-boil wort, and post boil wort. Some I just want to know the number and some I want to control with additions.

Brewing is about controlling variables to reach a set goal. Now ask yourself is the goal to brew good beer or is the goal to brew GREAT beer? If your beer is good and you're happy with it then don't waist your money. But if you want to brew beer that has all your friends telling you to open a brewery because your beer is the greatest! Then you absolutely need a pH meter.

If you have ever brewed a beer that completely knocked your socks off and 6 months later brewed the same beer and wondered why you liked is so much the first time. It could be that you need a pH meter.

Every variable in brewing can be ballparked. Mash at 130-180F. You will get beer. Mash for 30 minutes to 3 days. You will get beer. Ferment at 40-110F. You will get beer. Use a spread sheet to get your pH in the ballpark 5.0-6.0 You will get beer. Pitch one pack of yeast or make a 4 gallon starter. You will get beer. Now what that beer taste like really boils down to were you in the correct range for all of these variables.

Will you get constant results brewing the same recipes that way? Maybe if your process are sound and repeatable. We build breweries with PIDs and computers to control the temperature to 1 degree for every step of the process. We control fermentation to 1 degree for 2 week to 2 years. We use a spread sheet to calculate your water's pH. But just get in the ballpark is fine? I bought a meter because I want to know exactly what my pH is and control it just like I do all the other variables. Why would controlling one variable be super important to me and others are not? Is there more wiggle room in the world of beer pH?

The problem I have with spread sheets is that they don't take into account that the mash has a buffering capability. Which. I never understood until I bought a pH meter. You can add acid to the mash and depending on the mash, it will barely go down. To lower the pH you need to exceed the buffering capacity of the mash. I've followed the spread sheets. I added the suggested amount of acid and checked the pH it was not even close to the pH the spread sheet said it would be. So, add more acid and check it again. You can't do that without a meter or pH strips. And by the way there are some really good pH strips out there.

Brew a beer at 5.2 pH and the same one at 5.8 pH. Will they be different? I'd bet noticeably different.

Last edited by LarMoeCur on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joebrewing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest looking at a cheap ph meter. I switched away from Hanna when I needed to replace the probe because it was cheaper to go with another manufacturer.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just buy the cheap 12.99 meters once a year, I call them throw away models, once calibrated they last about a year, they get ruined by using them at the mash temp form the heat messing up the cheap plastic lenses

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joebrewing wrote:
I would suggest looking at a cheap ph meter. I switched away from Hanna when I needed to replace the probe because it was cheaper to go with another manufacturer.

I have three cheap meters collecting dust. They are highly inaccurate, unstable, and a complete waste of money. I have calibrated them and left them in the calibration solution and within seconds watch them change pH readings. Had one break on the first use. A suitable meter will cost you about 100 bucks. You are better off buying 20 dollars worth of pH strips. I guarantee the strips will last longer and be more accurate then a cheap meter. Run a google search the net is loaded with reviews, meter test, and professional's (that use meters everyday) input.
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much discussion in multiple brewing forums regarding the cheap crappy Ph meters on the market.
The cheap sticks are worthless. Test strips are highly inaccurate.
I finally purchased the Milwaukee MW102 a few years ago and is still going strong. Very accurate.
I only test mash Ph 10 minutes after mash in (after adding lactic or soda depending on the recipe) to determine if my software (bruinwater) is accurate. If mash Ph is spot on, I don't test boil or final Ph because that ship has already sailed.
Mash Ph is critical. It can make the difference between a good beer and a competition beer.
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, thank you everyone for all of your input.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely heard lots of good things about the Milwaukee MW102: http://amzn.to/2vkDdGP

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD,

what's your experience with the Bru'n Water software? As the website says, there's a lot of brewing water programs out there.
LarMoeCur

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD Endorf wrote:
Much discussion in multiple brewing forums regarding the cheap crappy Ph meters on the market.
The cheap sticks are worthless. Test strips are highly inaccurate.
I finally purchased the Milwaukee MW102 a few years ago and is still going strong. Very accurate.
I only test mash Ph 10 minutes after mash in (after adding lactic or soda depending on the recipe) to determine if my software (bruinwater) is accurate. If mash Ph is spot on, I don't test boil or final Ph because that ship has already sailed.
Mash Ph is critical. It can make the difference between a good beer and a competition beer.

Do you check your sparge water? Do you acidify the sparge water? I would for sure be checking the pre-boil pH and post boil.

The sparge water is changing your pH and can affect the flavor of the beer. The pH of the sparge runoff should be below pH 6. Higher pH couples with too high sparge water temperatures to extract tannins, silicates, and other undesirable compounds from the grain, which create astringent off- flavors and cloudy, hazy beer.

Quote from Beer & Wine Journal
"When most homebrewers consider pH in brewing, they think about achieving the proper mash pH. However, hitting the proper boil pH (of 5.1–5.2) is also important. Having wort in the right pH range at the end of the boil has a few benefits, most notably better hot break production. As wort pH decreases, there is also less color pickup in the boil and hop bitterness becomes more pleasing, although hop utilization decreases. Sometimes (perhaps most times), having an ideal mash pH of 5.2–5.6 will ensure that your boil pH drops into the proper range without any intervention by the brewer. However, this is not guaranteed. Two different unboiled worts can start at the same pH, but end up at different post-boil pH levels, even if they are boiled for the same time and at the same intensity. Most often, if the boil pH is out of range, it is too high."
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: