Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy Jr. (New England Pale Ale)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just reading the above, if you are looking for another yeast try SAF 04. I tried it and it works great. I also skip the secondary on this one and put the hops in primary. Once again, it works great. No complaints here.
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the reply rivet

I am going with saf-05 on the next batch and will do the secondary transfer once more before trying the single vessel method.

Do you do any yeast/trub dumps at any point? And do you cold crash?

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dumps, I just leave it all on the trub but I do cold crash and transfer straight to keg.

Saf 05 is a very clean yeast so you wont get the fruity esters that you get from the English strains so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Keep us posted.
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rivert! I will get some s04 for the next batch and compare! I was tempted to do that from the start, given the same facts I found in my own research, which included your very posts about trying it last year in place of the Wyeast. But I had the s05 already and was encouraged to give it a shot as it should do a great job as well. We'll see...

Last edited by alphakry on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-hop-candy-jr-new-england-style-pale-ale

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m planning on brewing this on Friday, but would love take some on our annual fishing trip (in bottles), which is three weeks from Friday. Do you think I can ferment this and keg it in three weeks time, and then the night before I leave fill a number of bottles? If necessary, I have a carbonating lid that I’ve had decent success in carbonating a keg in about 1-2 days. I’m assuming this beer is a good beer to drink young.

Thoughts?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely! See the recommendations in the notes section of the recipe - it’s what I do to get this on tap quickly. Looking at my notes from my past 5-6 batches, and assuming you pitch my recommended yeast amount and follow my fermentation schedule, you should be 11-13 days from brew day to keg. Then 24 hours to carb. Then bottle. You definitely want to drink this young and fresh.

Good luck!

Kal

Walts Malt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this again just before Christmas, but substituted Omega Sundew Yeast (OYL-401) after watching a video from Northern Brewer with Omega employees and wanted to give it a try. Overall, I’m not too happy with it. It’s definitely drinkable, but I feel like it muted the hops in this beer a bit. I almost wonder if this yeast would be better in a beer that it doesn’t compete with the hops as much as I detect quite a bit of strawberry from the yeast (those were also the words used by the employee from Midwest Supplies where I purchased the yeast).

Full disclosure: I had a fermenting problem as I accidentally connected my air lock to the out post of the keg I ferment in instead of the in post. Once the beer started fermenting it spilled out into my fermenting chamber. A 10 gallon batch turned into a 6 gallon batch in a matter of hours. Could this have caused some problems? I don’t think so as I was careful as possible to minimize oxygen into the fermenter.

Would I brew again with this yeast? Definitely not with this beer. My previous batch of this beer with the yeast in the recipe was very good. It seemed like a fun experiment until you taste the beer and realize it didn’t make it better, just quite a bit different.

I wouldn’t discourage anyone from trying it, but probably try it with a different recipe. I would also recommend watching the video with Northern Brewer and Omega to form your own opinions of the yeast prior to using it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:
Full disclosure: I had a fermenting problem as I accidentally connected my air lock to the out post of the keg I ferment in instead of the in post. Once the beer started fermenting it spilled out into my fermenting chamber. A 10 gallon batch turned into a 6 gallon batch in a matter of hours. Could this have caused some problems?

I'd have to look at the blow off and your setup to understand exactly happened, but the main thing that comes to mind is that you may have blown off a pile of the yeast in the process, reducing the pitch density, which may stress the yeast to reproduce more in order to keep the density up... Stressing yeast throws more esters / yeast derived flavours (something you may or may not want). Not sure how OYL-401 behaves if you underpitch as I've never used it or read about it. I'd say as long as it attenuated as expected, you're probably ok. Note that since the yeast is new to you, knowing if the FG ended up where it should is not obvious (you can't use the expected FG from the recipe or your previous batches with a different yeast).

Quote:
I don’t think so as I was careful as possible to minimize oxygen into the fermenter.

That's not usually an issue as fermentation is constantly outgassing. No way for O2 to get in. It's why open fermentation works.

Cheers!

Kal

Walts Malt

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Great points. Not trying to downplay the specific yeast, as I have liked Omega yeasts in the past. However, I’m going to go back to not trying to mess with what works, i.e. if you like the beer, why mess with a good thing. Next time I brew it I’m going back to the original recipe with the recommended yeast.

One thing I have enjoyed about your recipes is that, first and foremost, they are consistent. Secondly, I don’t think they chase the latest fade and sacrifice balance and consistency.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:
Not trying to downplay the specific yeast, as I have liked Omega yeasts in the past. However, I’m going to go back to not trying to mess with what works, i.e. if you like the beer, why mess with a good thing.

Because that's part of the fun of brewing! Wink

In all seriousness, experimenting is definitely part of the fun (at least for me). Trying out different yeasts is one of the things I do often and why I split my wort into two fermenters. Sometimes it's the same yeast but I ferment at different temps or different pitch rates, just to see what the results will be. You kinda have to do that in the same batch as comparing beers made weeks apart doesn't always work.

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Forgot hopstand Reply with quote

Crapola!!

I haven't brewed this in a long while and completely forgot the hopstand!! I've lowered the wort down to 66F and haven't pitched yet

Any thoughts on how to compensate for the lost hop stand?

Should I instead increase the drop hops? A Separate steep then add to conical?

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Forgot hopstand Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
Crapola!!

I haven't brewed this in a long while and completely forgot the hopstand!! I've lowered the wort down to 66F and haven't pitched yet
Any thoughts on how to compensate for the lost hop stand?
Should I instead increase the drop hops? A Separate steep then add to conical?

You're asking for an answer to an unanswerable question that nobody's dealt with. Wink

Feel free to increase the dry hop amounts if you like. It will still be delicious beer I'm sure!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edit]

lol, but of course! Experimentation is the name of the game... Thou I do always first think "if I was Kal, what would I do?"

Today (and always) - I am thankful for this forum and your never ending support of the little guys Smile Laughing

Last edited by alphakry on Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it! I'd probably increase the dry hop amounts a bit, or maybe not, as it's not really not the same thing.

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: