Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy Jr. (New England Pale Ale)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

I brewed this again on Sunday - here are some videos...

A few days before I made a yeast starter (basically taking a single pack of yeast and increasing the amount so that you don't have to buy 4-5 packs as yeast is expensive):
Video 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/BavDNhdAS1g/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery
Video 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/BawnA7SA5Cx/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

The night before I measured out the mineral additions to modify the water to suit this beer based on my starting water: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bazlt_UA_HO/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Milling the grain the night before: https://www.instagram.com/p/Baz2A7FAubK/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Brew day! Mashing (soaking the grain): https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba1i5LNgvSS/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Boiling: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba1-dnQAKCz/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Steeping hops after the boil at 180F: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba2FyESAb4W/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Adding first round of dry hops at high krausen: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba5L7UrgkR2/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

All done. Yeast added to the wort (the sugary liquid that becomes beer) and tucked away in fermenting fridges: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba2w8Sgg1yk/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
HopSteady

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
...you can't use my numbers to help you. It will only confuse you..l

You are of course correct on both counts Smile.

But what I failed to mention is that 1) My starting water is pretty much the same as yours, pretty close to RO, and so after the addition of the salts we should have very similar water to work with (the only missing info which is relevant is bicarbonate which impacts the total and residual alkalinity, I assume yours will be very low like mine), and 2) I use the same kettle size and heating element, and so our boil off rates should be comparable if not the same.

Was mainly looking for a ballpark on how much acid to add to the HLT before strike in to hit a mash pH of 5.35. My sheet is predicting 13mL of phosphoric acid. Is this WAY off? Would be good to have an idea before brewing.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HopSteady wrote:
Was mainly looking for a ballpark on how much acid to add to the HLT before strike in to hit a mash pH of 5.35. My sheet is predicting 13mL of phosphoric acid. Is this WAY off? Would be good to have an idea before brewing.

Not sure as I don't use phosphoric (I use 88% lactic), I don't know what strength phosphoric you're using, and the spreadsheet I use (EZWater) doesn't seem to offer the ability to guess at the amount of phosphoric needed anyway.

pH estimators are notoriously inaccurate at estimating pH due to the complexity of the calculations and the number of variables involved - that's why I suggest they be ignored in my water adjustment article and instead recommend that a pH meter be used: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

When I do add 88% lactic until I hit the right pH, I rarely add more than 2-3 ml in my mash (for a 12 gallon post boil batch size), but it depends on the beer. If the beer is anything other than straight pils or 2-row, It's rare that I have to add any.

Good luck!

Kal

Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filtering the junk from this tutti frutti ale. Might have to do a quick carb in my shinny new black chrome ukeg...

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the first keg of this and must say it turned out quite good. Was a little concerned as the ABV was low at 4%. The FG finished at 1.019, Kal's is 1.014 according to the recipe. I would like to brew this again and get closer to 5% ABV. Looking for some adviice on herhaps why the FG was off. The only thing I noticed was the yeast starter did not seem to have much yeast cake after it settled out, not sure if that means anything. Another note when I plug the recipe into Beersmith it calculates a FG of 1.018. Does this sound right? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Harry
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

What did you use to measure the FG?

A 5 point difference results in around 0.6% ABV change so I’m assuming your SG was also a bit low? What’s your mash efficiency? If it’s lower than that listed in the recipe, simply increase the grain amount to compensate for the SG difference. Your brewing software will do this for you.

Lastly, ignore brewing software FG estimates. I don’t know of any that takes into consideration the various complicated variables that affect FG like mash temp, mash thickness, grist composition, yeast strain, and so forth.

All that said, I’m not sure why your FG ended high. If you took detailed brew notes as you went from grain to glass, post the details here and we can see if anything obvious stands out. Otherwise we’re just going to be guessing. Cheers!

Kal

hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Kal, sorry should have given more details. Followed your recipe exalcly (12 gaL batch) scaled for my system

FG measured with a hydrometer and is calibrated.

Mash efficency I use 83%, this is adjusted after about 15 batches on my system, a clone of your design. Yes my SG was a little low 1.049, When I brewed the Hop Candy IPA it was also a couple of points low so will adjust the mash effeciency next time. Normally I am quite close using 83%, not sure if the high flaked oat/wheat/carapils has an effect on the calculation in the beersmith software?

Good to know the FG in the software is not accurate so will ignore that. I have never had an issue with too high of a FG, if anything it is sometimes a point or two low.

Went back through my notes and the brew went really well. No issue with mash temps, maintained 160 deg, sparge was 80 min, all in all a good brew day. Two things were noted. As mention the yeast starter seemed a little off. The colour of the starter wort was darker and after it settled seemed to have less yeast cake than normal. The other note was this was the first batch I uesd my new oxygen setup, refillable O2 bottle with flow regulator and 0.5 micron stone. I set the flow for 1 l/m and oxygenated the wort for 1 min for 12 gal batch. My old oxygen setup was disposable bottle with pressure regulator and would aretate wort for 2 min because was not really sure how much O2 was delivered.

Appreciate your help. If notheing else will bump up the grain amount and try again. As mentioned the beer still turned out really good, think it would even be better with a little more alochol.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour of the starter wort being darker and less yeast cake makes it sound like the starter wasn’t done fermenting, so you may have underpitched. That said, that doesn’t mean the FG will be high. Often underpitching just means the yeast works harder at first to reproduce first which results in possibly off tastes. Not sure why your batch ended high. Sorry!

Kal

rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to try this next but can’t get the exact ingredients. I will be using saf 04 yeast. I cannot get the honey malt so was wondering what you would recommend replacing it with as I have read that it is quite unique.

Cheers.

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
I cannot get the honey malt so was wondering what you would recommend replacing it with as I have read that it is quite unique.

Unfortunate. As it is fairly unique/important I find - adds a touch of honey taste. You can't use normal honey as it just mostly ferments out being (mostly) a simple sugar. I don't have any recommendations to make for a swap. Probably best to just use more Carapils® or Carafoam® instead (something that doesn't add much fermentable sugars either).

Let us know how the S-04 works out. Been meaning to try this beer with it too.

Kal

rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Thanks
DIBS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Low OG Reply with quote

Hey there. I brewed this yesterday. Held great temperature throughout mash, and roughly 90 minute sparge, then the typical boil. My OG ended up 1.044. Any insight on to what I missed? I scaled up to our 50 gallon set-up, pretty sure all my grains were good. Might just have to put more in next time.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Low OG Reply with quote

DIBS wrote:
Hey there. I brewed this yesterday. Held great temperature throughout mash, and roughly 90 minute sparge, then the typical boil. My OG ended up 1.044. Any insight on to what I missed?

Hi! That's really hard to guess. There could have been any number of things.
What was the total amount of grain used and what is your usual mash efficiency calculated from previous batches?

Kal

DIBS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Low OG Reply with quote

kal wrote:
DIBS wrote:
Hey there. I brewed this yesterday. Held great temperature throughout mash, and roughly 90 minute sparge, then the typical boil. My OG ended up 1.044. Any insight on to what I missed?

Hi! That's really hard to guess. There could have been any number of things.
What was the total amount of grain used and what is your usual mash efficiency calculated from previous batches?

Kal

Hey there. So for my batch it was 79lbs of grain with an efficiency of 90%. Thats usually my average.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79lbs sounds right for a mash efficiency of 90% for a batch size of 50 gallons (I just plugged it into my software to check). So not sure why you're lower as there are literally dozens of variables from pH to grain type and power, etc. Sometimes it's from mis-measuring (being a scoop or two short). There's no one specific thing. Sorry! I'd go back to your brew day logs and look at what you did very carefully to see if anything sticks out.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DIBS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
79lbs sounds right for a mash efficiency of 90% for a batch size of 50 gallons (I just plugged it into my software to check). So not sure why you're lower as there are literally dozens of variables from pH to grain type and power, etc. Sometimes it's from mis-measuring (being a scoop or two short). There's no one specific thing. Sorry! I'd go back to your brew day logs and look at what you did very carefully to see.

Kal

Thanks for looking into that. Im going to try the brew again soon, so hopefully I get better results.
hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibs,
The first time I brewed this had the same problem, OG was 1.048, not as low as yours. To compound the problem the batched finished at 1.019 instead of 1.014. Double checked everything, could not find any errors that might have caused this. I brewed again but lowered my normal mash efficiency by 5%, added more grain and hit the OG at 1.052, perfect. I just kegged this and the the batch finshed again at 1.019, exaclty the same as the first batch. So I am stumped as to the problem. The beer was very tasty even with the low ABV. I would be interested in what your FG is.

Kal, if I brew again was thinking of loweriong mash temp down to 158 or 156 to try and get the FG lower, any comment?

Thanks, Harry
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fair! It’s very normal to have to tweak recipes if the setup/process is different.

The much higher finishing gravity is a bit odd however. Are you pitching the same yeast at the recommend amount? Post more info about your brewing setup and process if you like (and what you do with your water, if anything) and we'll see if something sticks out.

Kal

hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
I have one of your 20 gal clones, blichmann kettles, etc. I followed your recipe exaclty, just adjusted for my mash efficency. I checked temp calibration. The first time I brewed this I think the yeast starter was not finished, you helped me with this. This time I followed brewers friend yeast pitch rate calculator and made sure the starter was finished. (watched your video, is great!!). Water is 100% RO, minerals added to give Ca-120, Mg-13, Na-18, Sulfate-97, Cloride-198. I thought the second brew would be much better because of the yeast starter but FG both times was identicle at 1.019. Any thoughts? Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of questions:

How are you fermenting?
What temperature?
Is the the temperature stable during fermentation?
How long did it take to get to 1.019?
How long after it got to 1.019 before you kegged?
How did you measure that it's at 1.019?
How's the FG of your other beers? Are they always higher than expected or is this one the only one?

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: