Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy Jr. (New England Pale Ale)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Electric Hop Candy Jr. (New England Pale Ale) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-hop-candy-jr-new-england-pale-ale

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:00 pm; edited 13 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I brewed this again last night (for about the 3rd time) and shot a bunch of videos of the process if anyone's curious:

Filling the HLT. Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Heating the strike water. Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Mash is done. Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Boil about half way done. Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Doing the 30 minute hop stand at 180F after the boil. Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Wort quickly chilled to below 80F and dumped in fermenters which are then placed in the fermenting fridges to bring it down to pitch temperature (~66F). Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Yeast pitched, wort aerated, back in fermenting fridges. Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Adding the first round of dry hops at high krausen. Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

They've also been added to the original recipe above.

Kal

andrhamm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the style I'm always on the lookout for. I'm planning on brewing this beer as my first batch on my new Grainfather! Do you share your beer.xml files anywhere? Or save your recipes online somewhere like Brewtoad? Would be really convenient for being able to scale and modify for other profiles.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No XML files or similar - sorry! Just the recipe listed here.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the vids, your brewing area and bar setup is amazing!

John Mug

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John!

Just turned off the fermentation fridges today for this batch to let it ramp up to 70-72F and finish off... another 2-3 days and it'l be done fermenting.

Kal

Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any downside to doing both the active and final dry hopping in my conical ?

Couldn’t one just recirculate thru a CFC to hit the 180 mark.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennessee wrote:
Is there any downside to doing both the active and final dry hopping in my conical ?

Nope! One of the benefits of a conical is that you can drop the trub after fermentation is done and then add the second dose.
See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ferment-and-package

Quote:
Couldn’t one just recirculate thru a CFC to hit the 180 mark.

Sure, as long as you're not using a Hop Stopper (not meant for recirc).

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've increased the dry hop amounts slightly in the original recipe as it gives fruitier results without being overpowering:

Went from:

1.5 oz Citra Hops (14.1%) - dry hop #1 (added at high krausen, 1 day after pitching yeast)
1.5 oz Mosaic Hops (12.2%) - dry hop #1 (added at high krausen, 1 day after pitching yeast)
1.5 oz Citra Hops (14.1%) - dry hop #2 (added in brite tank, steeped for 3 days)
1.5 oz Mosaic Hops (12.2%) - dry hop #2 (added in brite tank, steeped for 3 days)

To:

2.0 oz Citra Hops (14.1%) - dry hop #1 (added at high krausen, 1 day after pitching yeast)
2.0 oz Mosaic Hops (12.2%) - dry hop #1 (added at high krausen, 1 day after pitching yeast)
2.0 oz Citra Hops (14.1%) - dry hop #2 (added in brite tank, steeped for 3 days)
2.0 oz Mosaic Hops (12.2%) - dry hop #2 (added in brite tank, steeped for 3 days)

Enjoy!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend I brought a bunch of Electric Hop Candy Jr to our 25 year engineering reunion and had lots of great feedback!

Filling the growlers:

More pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaIWE9Hhhzq/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Kal

AwakenedBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an amazing recipe! Brewed a couple weeks ago and it tastes great. I'm wondering what made you use almost 3 lbs. of Carapils though?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwakenedBrewer wrote:
This is an amazing recipe! Brewed a couple weeks ago and it tastes great.

Glad you like it!

AwakenedBrewer wrote:
I'm wondering what made you use almost 3 lbs. of Carapils though?

To quote the original recipe:

kal wrote:
To avoid drying out the beer too much, the single infusion mash temperature was raised from 152F to 160F and I use a healthy dose of Carapils® or Carafoam® to replace some of the domestic 2-row and Maris Otter base malts. This helps raise the final gravity as this malt produces mostly unfermentable sugars. The higher mash temperature helps ensure we end up at the target gravity we want (1.014). Too low a final gravity and the beer may taste overly thin, a common problem with lower alcohol version of beers where nothing but the amount of malt is modified. When making lower ABV versions of your favourite beers you want to re-assess the percentages used in the grist and possibly swap out some base malt for unfermentables.

Kal

AwakenedBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. I took that more about just raising the temp to create the unfermentables, not adding the Carapils. Thought that was adjusting the mouth feel and flavor profile more for the lower ABV. Thanks for keeping it clear.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! There's only so far you can go with higher mash temps... you need to add grain that's not fermentable like Carapils/Carafoam too in this case to get the final gravity high enough.

Kal

acarlson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be mentioned elsewhere in the forums, but are the dry hop amounts total for the 12 gallon batch or are they per fermenter? Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acarlson wrote:
This may be mentioned elsewhere in the forums, but are the dry hop amounts total for the 12 gallon batch or are they per fermenter? Thanks!

Everything in the ingredients list is for the total batch size (12 gallons post boil). Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Kal

acarlson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I just brewed something similar to your recipe but with double the early dry hops and half the late dry hops (albeit on a much lower tech brew setup). Haven't tasted it yet, but it smells tasty so far!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it works out!

Kal

HopSteady

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe looks great! Few questions:

Do you acidify the mash? I believe with that water profile you would need to lower the pH a bit? Do you recall what you did and where your mash pH came out at?
Do you recall your post-sparge / pre-boil gravity? I would like to know how close I get on my system.

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HopSteady wrote:
This recipe looks great!

Glad you like it!

Quote:
Do you acidify the mash? I believe with that water profile you would need to lower the pH a bit? Do you recall what you did and where your mash pH came out at?

I do add various salts/minerals to the mash, which help acidify the mash and lower the pH. Whether I need to then use extra acid like lactic acid doesn't really matter to other brewers as what I do exactly isn't information you can use as you will not be using the same water as me. What you need to do exactly to hit the right mash pH with your water is going to be different than what I do.

Take a look at my step by step water adjustment article to understand what will need to be done - it uses your water as a starting point: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

Quote:
Do you recall your post-sparge / pre-boil gravity? I would like to know how close I get on my system.

My pre-boil gravity will not be the same as yours as your boil-off rate will be different than mine. Your final volume may be different too. So you can't use my numbers to help you. It will only confuse you.

The higher the boil-off rate, the lower your pre-boil gravity will be.

Most brewing software lets you enter in your boil-off rate. From that most software will also tell you your expected pre-boil gravity based on your expected final (post-boil) gravity and volume.

I use Beer Tools Pro myself and it does this calculation for me: http://www.beertools.com/ap/theelectricbrewery/store/

Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: