Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hard Wiring Your Panel???

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcboogie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Hard Wiring Your Panel??? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well, I finally got an electrician in to tell him how I want a 50A breaker put in and where I wanted the outlet. He then asked me if I wanted to hard wire it, which brings me to my question. Is it ok to hard wire the panel?? I don't plain on moving my brewery. He said it would be a little cheaper. Just wanted to get everyone or anyone's opinion.... Kal. Also, any pros or cons. I appreciate as always.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on where you live, a hard wired panel could be subject to electrical codes. If you "plug " the panel in its considered an appliance.

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverspoons is correct. If you hardwire then the panel becomes part of the electrical grid of the house/building. We usually don't recommend hardwiring. Talk to your inspector and/or electrician to find out the consequences of hardwiring.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because something is plugged in doesn't mean it is a free for all. after all, an electric stove is considered an appliance and these are hard-wired all the time. the nec definition of an appliance makes no mention of having to be cord connected. that being said, a receptacle could be used for a great many different pieces of utilization equipment so the rules for the receptacle installation itself are pretty straight-forward. it is what gets plugged into it that becomes the rub.

the nec is not geared toward homemade or hobbyist pieces of electrical equipment, which is basically what an electric control panel is (unless you buy a fancy ul listed panel). if your house burns down because your homemade panel is faulty, there is a chance your insurance company could deny a claim. now this chance is small but it is there. whether it is hard-wired or cord-connected is irrelevant. now if this work is getting inspected, i would go with the receptacle because the inspector doesn't know what you are plugging in. could be an electric clothes dryer, an electric welder, who knows. if the inspector comes in and sees the panel, there could be questions.

so long story short: getting an inspection, go receptacle. no inspection, go either way. and you really are showing your cards if you have the inspector come out and see your panel. if he signs off, you are all set from an insurance standpoint. if he denys, now you are sort of screwed, as your installation would directly contradict an authority having jurisdiction. that's my $0.02.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is hardwired and I'm very happy with that decision.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:

Can I ask why?
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten wrote:
dp Brewing Company wrote:

Can I ask why?

Sure, I never planned on moving it. I use a a manual switch like you see on woodworking equipment to turn on the power. I mounted it on the side of my box. It keeps me from having to use the first large relay and power key. Which in turn allows me to have a smaller control box. Not trying to start a debate but I see it as being safer also. I don't have to worry about a power cord that gets damaged.

This switch but not in this box. I can't figure out where I bought it 3 years ago.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CMDX063.html

View user's photo album (3 photos)
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it remains cord-connected to a 50A outlet at your subpanel, then you can negate the risk (as far as your insurance company is concerned) of leaving an unlisted appliance attached to your house's electrical system full-time. An added benefit is that you have an accessible 50A outlet, which might open the door for all manner of interesting kit like MIG/TIG welders, a big air compressor, etc.
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAParkins wrote:
An added benefit is that you have an accessible 50A outlet, which might open the door for all manner of interesting kit like MIG/TIG welders, a big air compressor, etc.

I would add to this list... EV (electric vehicle) charging.

Just a few weeks ago I installed a 240V/20A outlet to charge my Audi A-3 E-tron... it has a puny battery and the charger only pulls 16A @ 240v.
mcboogie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. Not getting it inspected. I may just go with a plug. I don't see myself moving, once its up. Now I have to figure how to mount it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: