Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Chemical flavour

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idingle

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Chemical flavour Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all -

Somewhere between my fermentor and coming out of my tap, my beers are acquiring a bit of a chemical aftertaste.

Possible issue 1:
I am cleaning my kegs with PBW, rinsing with water, and then rinsing with Starsan. I then leave a bit of starsan in the kegs for up to a couple of weeks or so before I swirl the remaining starsan and pour it out just before begging.

Possible issue 2:
I have flushed my beer lines with oxiclean and also with starsan and using a submersible pump for 10-15minutes but have never used a BLC/LLC or ALC.

I am replacing my beer lines(they are a couple of years old) and am buying some BLC at the same time.

Looking for advice. Is there something wrong with my keg cleaning/maintenance strategy?

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say chemical aftertaste, what sort of flavours are you talking about exactly?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally pour the first 1 or 2 glasses (12 oz) down the drain.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another few questions for idingle:

Is this something that only just started for you (i.e. beers poured fine for a long time and the off flavours from the keg only started some time ago), or is this a new kegging setup you just set up? (EDIT: I noticed you mentioned the beer lines are a couple of years old so I guess it's not new)

What type of beer lines are you using? I.e. What material?

KB reminded me of something that can cause off-flavours: Certain beer lines will throw off flavours if the beer sits in the lines. Years ago when I first set up beer on tap I had issues with this and ended up testing a dozen or so lines. See my research here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/beer-line-tests-solution-to-the-plastic-taste.60380/

More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24501

What I do today (no issues with beer sitting in the lines for a long time):
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290842#290842
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=295672#295672

Use good barrier lines and keep the beer chilled throughout the lines like I describe in the links above and you won't need to pour off anything. I have 8-10 taps (varies as an outdoor 2-tap kegerator comes out only for 6 months of the year) and I never pour anything off. Certain less popular beers can (and often will) sit the in lines for months.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear my comment about tossing the first glass or 2 only applies to the initial tapping of the keg. Even though I cold crash and fine, there is still settlement in the keg and especially in the first pour.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Just to be clear my comment about tossing the first glass or 2 only applies to the initial tapping of the keg. Even though I cold crash and fine, there is still settlement in the keg and especially in the first pour.

Ah! Ok. That's normal. I thought you mean whenever beer had sat in the lines. That's also normal, if you use lines that leech plastic flavour (and notice it/are bothered by it).

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: