Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Wide mouth plastic fermenter

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Wide mouth plastic fermenter Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Recently purchased 2 wide mouth plastic fermenters from MoreBeer. Used them for the first time for my initial EB split batch (Blonde Ale/ Premium Lager).

After transferring the ale and lager to the secondaries it was time to clean the primary fermenters. What a breeze! Having the ability to insert my arm into the fermenter to clean it made clean up very easy. Also, the wide mouth plastic fermenter has an inverted cone at the bottom making it much easier to leave trub, yeast, etc behind when transferring to the secondary.

My glass carboys are now secondary only. Unless something drastically goes wrong, the wide mouth plastic fermenters are my "go to" primary fermenters.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ones here Kraig?

7 gallon: https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-7-gallon-carboy.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery
6 gallon: https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-6-gallon-carboy.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Also available with a spigot:

7 gallon: https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-7-gallon-carboy-spigot.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery
6 gallon: https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-6-gallon-carboy-spigot.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
These ones here Kraig?

7 gallon: https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-7-gallon-carboy.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery
6 gallon: https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonster-6-gallon-carboy.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Kal

Kal,
Yes, I recommend the 7 gallon. Unsure about the usefulness of the spigot, I'd go with the one without the spigot. Please realize ALL, at least in my experience with the ones from MoreBeer, are made with the ability to, in the future, use a spigot. So, if one purchases the wide mouth fermenter without the spigot, determines they need the spigot, it's an easy matter to punch out perforated plastic circle and install a spigot.

Last edited by KB on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely 7 gallon for a primary fermenter. You need the room.

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Definitely 7 gallon for a primary fermenter. You need the room.

Kal

The Wyeast 1056 was at cellar temps (around 64F) and behaved. The Wyeast 2007 fermented in the beverage center at around 48F (on the low side, but I was accounting for the heat produced by fermentation).

However, I've had yeasts in the past vigorously fermenting. In this case use a large blow off tube. Nice thing about the wide mouth fermenter is the lid has a larger hole (#10 stopper) allowing a large diameter blow off tube, if needed.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only the yeast (krausen), but also how much you dry hop too which can soak up a ton of beer.

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed when I cleaned the wide mouth fermenters and turned them over, stamped on the bottom "Made In Canada". I thank our friends "up North" for a great product.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: