Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Wort Whirlpool - Coriolis Effect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Wort Whirlpool - Coriolis Effect? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ever notice water draining in your sink rotates down the drain in a counterclockwise direction (at least mine in Ohio)? There's debate as to whether the Coriolis Effect associated with the Earth's rotation contributes to the rotational direction of drain water. For argument's sake, if there is a Coriolis Effect influencing the direction of water rotation, would it be advantageous to orient the boil kettle whirlpool nozzle so as to induce counterclockwise wort rotation aided by Coriolis?
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coriolis Effect really only effects large bodies, such as a hurricane

"The origin of this myth comes from applying a scientific principle to a situation where it does not fit. The Coriolis deflection causes cyclonic systems to rotate counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. It was inevitable that someone would suggest (without checking) that a sink should drain in a similar manner.

However, a cyclone is more than 1000 kilometers in diameter and may exist for several days. By contrast, a typical sink is less than a meter in diameter and drains in a matter of seconds. On this scale, the Coriolis force is miniscule. Therefore, the shape of the sink and how level it is has more to do with the direction of water flow than the Coriolis force."
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I would think too that the force behind something like a pump pushing into a kettle to induce spin would be thousands if not millions of times strong than the natural pull from coriolis. It's not something I'd be concerned with.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't thinking about the science but I did a test with whirlpool speed left or right, all I can say is whirl-pooling left or counter clockwise is faster in my pot

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple non-scientific test is to float a Ping-Pong ball in water and time how long it takes to make its way around the pot in both directions. I may try that...
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very important that the Kettle is pointed to the North, otherwise it won't work...

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edelmetall bru kettle with standard tangential port for counterclockwise whirlpool.

u421-edelmetall-kettle16.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.93 KB
 Viewed:  12255 Time(s)

u421-edelmetall-kettle16.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: