Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Yeast Washing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Yeast Washing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After adding cool water, stirring and lettings settle is it best to

1. Use a racking cane to transfer the milky yeast layer into another clean and sanitized container

or

2. Carefully attempt to pour the milky yeast layer into another clean and sanitized container

Thanks.

Kraig
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always just pour.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern with pouring and reason for asking... in the past when I attempt to simply pour I get some trub included with the milky yeast layer.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, whenever I do re-use yeast (which is rarely) I try and re-use within a week or so and just dump in everything.

Check out this video I posted: https://www.instagram.com/p/BU1-rWhFgc8/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

I saved two jars of W-34/70 yeast from a ~4.8% ~15 IBU lager. I just dumped everything from the fermenter into the jars and a few days later poured off the water and dumped the yeast (and whatever trub was also mixed in) into a new batch of German Pils.

But this isn't yeast washing I suppose. If you want to really wash then yes, you have to be careful to only get the yeast and not the trub. For me it's not something I have the patience for. I'd rather just make a starter with fresh yeast most of the time. Wink

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Yeast & Fermentation Reply with quote

I rarely re-use yeast as well. When I do, I pour the mixture from the fermenter into a 1 gallon sanitized decanter jar (I found one at Walmart). I mix boiled water that's been cooled to room temp into the decanter, shake and let sit for 20 minutes. I then decant only the yeast with the spigot into sanitized mason jars and refrigerate.

ps. If I plan to make an experimental brew (1 to 2 gallons), I pour the yeast from one jar into sanitized test tubes and refrigerate. For small batches, one test tube was all I needed for fermentation (that and a little oxygen).

IMG_0911.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  144.7 KB
 Viewed:  16324 Time(s)

IMG_0911.JPG

KB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
... and just dump in everything. Kal

I did the same in the past, but now that I've stepped up to the EB, I want to do things correctly. Yes, I'm relaxed, just want to make the best beer possible.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with dumping in everything if the yeast is reasonably clean. Commercial breweries do this.

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped washing yeast, I just scoop it up all yeast and trub add it to a jar and set in the 34F keezer then dump the whole thing on the next beer "but first I taste the beer it came from lol

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
I stopped washing yeast, I just scoop it up all yeast and trub add it to a jar and set in the 34F keezer then dump the whole thing on the next beer "but first I taste the beer it came from lol

Thanks, yes, in the past I basically did the same. However, I've always known about trub, dead yeast cells, etc getting into the next brew. Not being anal, but really want to do things correctly now. IMO, no big deal to wash the yeast especially with 5L flasks.

Thanks for the input.
KB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nothing wrong with dumping in everything if the yeast is reasonably clean. Commercial breweries do this.

Kal

Kal I understand, however commercial breweries probably brew a LOT more than me Smile I've always known about trub, dead yeast cells, etc getting into the next brew.

Transferred the Blonde Ale #1 and the Premium Lager into the secondaries today from my initial EB brew session. As they say "The hardest part is waiting".

Thanks for the input.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. Yeast slurry should be used fresh. If you intend on keeping slurry more than a week or two, (IMHO) it should be clean.

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering the opinions of some of you here regarding the following questions:

1. Is it worth washing and reusing dry yeast such as Saf-05? I know a key advantage to using these dry yeasts is the ease and cost of just pitching new. But is it true that multiple generational yeasts could be stronger, more efficient/familiar with your beer and provide different/desired characteristics to the next batch of beer you use the yeast from the previous batch?

2. When pulling yeast that has been fined using Gelatin, will the gelatin let go of that yeast during the rinse and reuse in the making of a starter?

Last edited by alphakry on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely up to you really and depends on how much time/effort you want to put in to do it right.

While all strains are different, all are living creatures that will indeed change (mutate) over time. Sometimes for the better in terms of what you may want to get out of them, some not so much. For example, I found that WY3068 tended to lose flavour over time (and it wasn't just from possibly pitching more in subsequent pitches as I used to always just take a tiny bit of clean slurry and build up another starter).

No idea about the Gelatin question.

FWIW, I rarely re-use any yeast anymore (liquid or dry) as I find I get the most consistent beer when always starting with fresh/new every time.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: