Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

First electric brew - need feed back

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: First electric brew - need feed back Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Saturday, June 3, 2017 was my first electric brew. Looking for feedback, thoughts and input.

To begin I followed the "Brew Day Step-By-Step" instructions. Based on the experience of others, reading thru the forum posts, I adjusted my brewhouse efficiency to 80%. Recalculated the recipe based on 80%, then recalculated the amount of water needed based on the new grain amount.

In summary. Long brew day. Began 8:47AM. Everything done and clean 8:50 PM. 12 hours and 3 minutes.

Switching the hoses are a real pain. Also, I feel the hop stopper, as others have written, is the weak link. Why? Ran the pump as suggested in the "Brew Day Step-By-Step" instructions, but the hop stopper got clogged and I only had 10.5 gallons collected. Time to get the strainer bag with cleaned and sanitized bucket. Dump the remaining wort in the boil kettle, due to the clogged hop stopper, thru the strainer bag into the plastic bucket. This killed me on time!

Step summary.

Step 1 Mill grains: Did the prior day using recommended gap of 0.045". I didn't note the begin and ends times, but grain was quickly milled as I used a hand drill to crank the mill. Only problem: the drill was either to too slow to crank or too fast. I was unable to find the drill "sweet spot" where the mill was cranking at a slower drill rate.

Step 2 Fill HLT with water: 24 minutes. Had a problem with a female QD at the HLT in valve. QD leaking. Not the plumbing or the valve, the QD itself. QD just would not tightly connect to the male QD on the valve. Had to run the faucet water at a lower rate to prevent/minimize leaking.

Step 3 Heat strike water: 51 minutes to reach 149F.

Step 4 Transfer strike water to MLT: 10 minutes.

Step 5 Mash: 1 hour 43 minutes. Unfortunately, I missed the part in the instructions about running the mash water for 5 to 10 minutes to get temp back up to 149F. Lost time as after adding the grain to the MLT the temp is 138F. Bumped up the HLT temp a bit and had to wait for the MLT to achieve 149F. Only considered the 90 mash beginning when the MLT was at 149F.

Step 6 Mashout: 54 minutes. MLT is stuck at 167F. HLT is 168F. Bump up HLT a bit in an attempt to get MLT to 168F.

Step 7 Sparge: 2 hours and 6 minutes. Thought I was following the instructions "Both pumps are kept mostly closed during the 60-90 minute sparge to maximize sugar extraction", but clearly I took way too long to sparge. Too bad valves don't have a gauge so I'd know to open the valve a bit more next brew. However, I took a photo to help me remember the valve setting that took to long to sparge.

Step 8 Boil: 2 hours and 20 minutes. Turn on boil element 3:30PM. Boil begins at 4:12 PM. Begin 90 minute boil at 4:20PM as I waited for the protein break to subside. When I turned the boil PID to 80% the element light was constantly going on and then off. As soon as it went off the light came back on. Is this expected? Same happened when I set the PID to 75%. Yes, the PID was in manual mode. If this is behavior is not expected what should I check?

See note about hop stopper problems at the beginning of this post. Next time I will use the Utah Biodiesel hop filter and hope for better results.

Step 9 Chill: 1 hour and 33 minutes. First time I'm using a CFC and honestly I don't trust the wort coming out is cool enough. My plan is to use tap water to get the wort under 100F and then use recycling ice cold water (ice and water in the HLT) while the wort is recycling in the MLT. The recycling ice cold water does a nice job of dropping the wort temp out of the CFC to 58F. Why 1 hour and 33 minutes? Took time to connect/move hoses, etc. Once again, moving hoses as mentioned at the beginning of this post is a time killer/finger burner/spill mess.

Get wort sample for hydro reading, give wort 2 minutes of oxygen, pitch yeast, put lager into beverage center, leave ale on brewery floor (brewery temp is 64F), clean oxygen stone, wipe up spills, clean out CFC, clean kettles, clean pumps, etc.

Dead tired after a long day.

Based on readings taken during the session, Beersmith calculates my brewhouse efficiency 80.2%, mash efficiency 82.3%

Appreciate any feedback.

Also, hope I'm not having a boil element or boil PID problem.

Last edited by KB on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First electric brew - need feed back Reply with quote

Kraig wrote:
Switching the tubes is a real pain.

What do you mean by tubes?

Quote:
Also, I feel the hop stopper, as others have written, is the weak link. Why? Ran the pump as suggested in the "Brew Day Step-By-Step" instructions, but the hop stopper got clogged and I only had 10.5 gallons collected.

Try going slower next time once the Hop Stopper gets exposed to air.

Quote:
Step 1 Mill grains: Did the prior day using recommended gap of 0.045". I didn't note the begin and ends times, but grain was quickly milled as I used a hand drill to crank the mill. Only problem: the drill was either to too slow to crank or too fast. I was unable to find the drill "sweet spot" where the mill was cranking at a slower drill rate.

If the drill doesn't have a slow speed it's usually hard to make a variable speed drill only spin slowly.

Quote:
Step 2 Fill HLT with water: 24 minutes. Had a problem with a female QD at the HLT in valve. QD leaking. Not the plumbing or the valve, the QD itself. QD just would not tightly connect to the male QD on the valve. Had to run the faucet water at a lower rate to prevent/minimize leaking.

Sounds like a defective QD or possibly a damaged or missing o-ring.

Quote:
Step 5 Mash: 1 hour 43 minutes. Unfortunately, I missed the part in the instructions about running the mash water for 5 to 10 minutes to get temp back up to 149F.

Not a big deal. 149F is a dry beer so starting possibly much lower won't do any harm.

Quote:
Step 6 Mashout: 54 minutes. MLT is stuck at 167F. HLT is 168F. Bump up HLT a bit in an attempt to get MLT to 168F.

The degree won't make a difference. You only need to hold at around 168F for ~5-10 mins.

Quote:
Step 7 Sparge: 2 hours and 6 minutes. Thought I was following the instructions "Both pumps are kept mostly closed during the 60-90 minute sparge to maximize sugar extraction", but clearly I took way too long to sparge. Too bad valves don't have a gauge so I'd know to open the valve a bit more next brew. However, I took a photo to help me remember the valve setting that took to long to sparge.

This is one place that you have to go by feel, especially the first time. Once you get the valves balanced such that water rate into the mash tun equals water rate out of the mash tun, see how much you collect in the first 15 mins and extrapolate to see if the rate's ok. Anywhere between 60-120 mins is fine.

Quote:
Step 8 Boil: When I turned the boil PID to 80% the element light was constantly going on and then off. As soon as it went off the light came back on. Is this expected? Same happened when I set the PID to 75%. Yes, the PID was in manual mode. If this is behavior is not expected what should I check?

Sounds normal. The cycle time is 2 seconds. When set to 75% the element (and ELEMENT ON light) will be on 75% of the time which is .75 x 2 = 1.5 seconds. So on for 1.5 seconds, off for 0.5 seconds, on for 1.5 seconds, off for 0.5 seconds... etc.

More info on manual mode here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=11

Quote:
Step 9 Chill: 1 hour and 33 minutes.

Wow - that's long. What was the ground water temp? What target wort temp were you trying to get to?

In the winter my ground water's very cold so if I'm trying to get to (say) 65F, I can do that fast and in one pass. About 20 mins to chill ~11-11.5 gallons.

If I'm making a lager however I want the wort to get to ~48F so there's no way for me to get that cold with the CFC since my ground water's not that cold, so I chill to a "reasonable temp" and let my fermenting fridges get the temp down the rest of the way.

"Reasonable temp" varies by time of year, by ground water temp. In the summer it may be 70-75F. In the winter it may be 60-65F. The idea being that I don't want to sit there forever. I want to chill in about 20 mins max and then let the fridges do the rest of the work without me having to sit there.

Keep in mind that how fast I chill will also depend on the beer. If I only had a 60 min hop addition I don't really care how fast it takes. But if I'm making a hoppy IPA and added a whack-load of hops at the end (flameout) I want to chill fast as I may want to not steep the hops too long in order to lock in some of that hop freshness. So in that case I may chill really quick to ~75F and then let the fridges take the wort the rest of the way.

Quote:
First time I'm using a CFC and honestly I don't trust the wort coming out is cool enough.

That's what the thermometer on the output of the CFC is for. It lets you know the temp.

Quote:

It'll get easier as you refine your process. After a few times it becomes second nature and will take less time.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, having coffee on Sunday morning and trying to wake up.

Switching the hoses are a real pain due to time/hot QDs/spills, etc.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before disconnecting a QD, make sure to close the ball valves at least before and after where you're disconnecting. You'll only have a few drips that way. I usually use a small bowl to catch those drips.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First electric brew - need feed back Reply with quote

Kraig wrote:
Saturday, June 3, 2017 was my first electric brew. Looking for feedback, thoughts and input.

To begin I followed the "Brew Day Step-By-Step" instructions. Based on the experience of others, reading thru the forum posts, I adjusted my brewhouse efficiency to 80%. Recalculated the recipe based on 80%, then recalculated the amount of water needed based on the new grain amount.

In summary. Long brew day. Began 8:47AM. Everything done and clean 8:50 PM. 12 hours and 3 minutes.

Switching the hoses are a real pain. Also, I feel the hop stopper, as others have written, is the weak link. Why? Ran the pump as suggested in the "Brew Day Step-By-Step" instructions, but the hop stopper got clogged and I only had 10.5 gallons collected. Time to get the strainer bag with cleaned and sanitized bucket. Dump the remaining wort in the boil kettle, due to the clogged hop stopper, thru the strainer bag into the plastic bucket. This killed me on time!

Step summary.

I use a zip tie on the trigger to set the speed and plug the drill into a power strip and use the switch on the strip to start and stop the drill. I also found it was easier to use a geared slow speed drill which maxes out at 900 RPM.

Kraig wrote:

Unfortunately some fitting do this. I bought a few extra and swapped them out

Kraig wrote:
Step 3 Heat strike water: 51 minutes to reach 149F.

Step 4 Transfer strike water to MLT: 10 minutes.

Step 5 Mash: 1 hour 43 minutes. Unfortunately, I missed the part in the instructions about running the mash water for 5 to 10 minutes to get temp back up to 149F. Lost time as after adding the grain to the MLT the temp is 138F. Bumped up the HLT temp a bit and had to wait for the MLT to achieve 149F. Only considered the 90 mash beginning when the MLT was at 149F.

I normally heat strike water to ~10 degrees over desired mash temp. This will vary from system to system and batch size also will affect this.

Kraig wrote:

I shoot for 90 minutes. I usually set the wort pump valve to approximately the right area and calculate the flow rate needed to achieve the desired volume. I check after a few minutes to see how close it in and then i tweak the valve up or down as needed. After a few brew sessions, you'll be able to tell just by looking that you have the flow rate pretty close.

Kraig wrote:
Step 8 Boil: 2 hours and 20 minutes. Turn on boil element 3:30PM. Boil begins at 4:12 PM. Begin 90 minute boil at 4:20PM as I waited for the protein break to subside. When I turned the boil PID to 80% the element light was constantly going on and then off. As soon as it went off the light came back on. Is this expected? Same happened when I set the PID to 75%. Yes, the PID was in manual mode. If this is behavior is not expected what should I check?

I start heating once the element is covered and bring the temp up to ~190 during sparge and then go all the way to boil once I have collected the full volume. That cuts out a big chunk of time waiting for the now cooled wort to come up from ~130 to 212.

Kraig wrote:
See note about hop stopper problems at the beginning of this post. Next time I will use the Utah Biodiesel hop filter and hope for better results.

Step 9 Chill: 1 hour and 33 minutes. First time I'm using a CFC and honestly I don't trust the wort coming out is cool enough. My plan is to use tap water to get the wort under 100F and then use recycling ice cold water (ice and water in the HLT) while the wort is recycling in the MLT. The recycling ice cold water does a nice job of dropping the wort temp out of the CFC to 58F. Why 1 hour and 33 minutes? Took time to connect/move hoses, etc. Once again, moving hoses as mentioned at the beginning of this post is a time killer/finger burner/spill mess.

Get wort sample for hydro reading, give wort 2 minutes of oxygen, pitch yeast, put lager into beverage center, leave ale on brewery floor (brewery temp is 64F), clean oxygen stone, wipe up spills, clean out CFC, clean kettles, clean pumps, etc.

Based on readings taken during the session, Beersmith calculates my brewhouse efficiency 80.2%, mash efficiency 82.3%

Appreciate any feedback.

Also, hope I'm not having a boil element or boil PID problem.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kraig,

Regarding issue with Step 2 - QD, i had the same issue with one of mine, it turned out that the recess on the male section was slightly wider than the others. This means the steel balls that spring into the recess don't fit tightly causing a good seal. If you have some vernier callipers, check that.

With Sparging. I am certainly no expert, having only done my first brew yesterday as well. However i found that if watch the flow into the BK on the sight glass, and time it over a few litres using a stop watch, you can close off that valve pretty accurately to get your sparge time. Then close off the water pump value until the level of the MTL sight glass isn't moving. i.e. same into MLT as out. Doing this worked perfectly for me. I hit 65 minutes when i was aiming for 60.
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. Integrating suggestions into next brew session.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: