Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

DPDT Relay Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hwaiii

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: DPDT Relay Help Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I wired the HLT and BK elements per the diagram. When I turn element select switch the element light comes on for both. However, when I plug in the element to test and turn switch, the light doesn't come on. I've used the multimeter to confirm there is 240v power to the DPDT relay, but when select switch is thrown, there's limited power flowing through even though it engages. Thinking I had bad relays, I ordered new ones and installed them, but am having the same issue. Any thoughts on what the problemmight be? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DPDT Relay Help Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Just to confirm, I take it you're building a standard 30A panel and you're using parts you're sourcing yourself and not from one of our kits correct?

Hwaiii wrote:
When I turn element select switch the element light comes on for both.

So when you turn the ELEMENT SELECT switch to either the BOIL or HLT both ELEMENT ON lights come on?
Both shouldn't come on. That is likely a wiring issue or use of incorrect parts.

Quote:
However, when I plug in the element to test and turn switch, the light doesn't come on.

This may be normal as when an element is not connected the lights may light up dimly. See our troubleshooting here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460
Specifically the question "The ELEMENT ON yellow light glows dimly when the ELEMENT SELECT switch is in the ON position without the element connected! Is something broken?"

Quote:
I've used the multimeter to confirm there is 240v power to the DPDT relay, but when select switch is thrown, there's limited power flowing through even though it engages. Thinking I had bad relays, I ordered new ones and installed them, but am having the same issue. Any thoughts on what the problemmight be? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I would go through the troubleshooting tips link above - the part "My heating element is not firing at all! (or firing continuously)" should help you troubleshoot.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Hwaiii

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

Thanks for responding. Sorry, I should've been more clear; yes, I'm building the 30A panel and sourcing the parts myself.

When I turn the Element Select switch to the HLT Element, the HLT Element light (only) comes on. The same is true for the BK Element light as well when I turn the Element Select switch to the BK (only the BK Element light comes on). This would tend to indicate the wiring was fine.

However, when I plug in the element and turned the Element Select switch to HLT to test the element and PID, the HLT Element light no longer comes on. The PID "OUT" indicator is on and the light on the SSR was also on. At First, I thought it was the Element cord or the Element (as your Testing/Troubleshooting piece suggested), but I used the multi-meter to check these and they seem ok. So, I used the voltmeter to measure the two HOT connection points on the heating element receptacles (as your piece suggests) and measured 75V. Further, if I have the controller power on and leave the Element Select switch in the "Off" position, I can measure 240V at the NO terminals of the DPDT relay. As soon as I select HLT or BK with the Element Select, the relay "clunks" and engages, but the Element indicator light does not come on and there's no longer 240V at the NO or Common terminals. As I mentioned earlier, I thought this meant a bad DPDT relay, so I ordered new ones and reinstalled one to test, but had the same experience. I'm not sure where to go from here.

I mimicked the image on your Heating Element Wiring diagram so the power into the element DPDT relays from the SSR's is connecting to the NO terminals (not the COM terminals). Could that cause this? If not, any suggestions?

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hwaiii wrote:
Hi Kal,

Thanks for responding. Sorry, I should've been more clear; yes, I'm building the 30A panel and sourcing the parts myself.

When I turn the Element Select switch to the HLT Element, the HLT Element light (only) comes on. The same is true for the BK Element light as well when I turn the Element Select switch to the BK (only the BK Element light comes on). This would tend to indicate the wiring was fine.

Yup. All normal, assuming the elements are not plugged into the control panel. It's a common question so it's in our troubleshooting tips guide.

Quote:
However, when I plug in the element and turned the Element Select switch to HLT to test the element and PID, the HLT Element light no longer comes on. The PID "OUT" indicator is on and the light on the SSR was also on.
At First, I thought it was the Element cord or the Element (as your Testing/Troubleshooting piece suggested),

The ELEMENT ON light should still be on.

Quote:
but I used the multi-meter to check these and they seem ok. So, I used the voltmeter to measure the two HOT connection points on the heating element receptacles (as your piece suggests) and measured 75V. Further, if I have the controller power on and leave the Element Select switch in the "Off" position, I can measure 240V at the NO terminals of the DPDT relay. As soon as I select HLT or BK with the Element Select, the relay "clunks" and engages, but the Element indicator light does not come on and there's no longer 240V at the NO or Common terminals. As I mentioned earlier, I thought this meant a bad DPDT relay, so I ordered new ones and reinstalled one to test, but had the same experience. I'm not sure where to go from here.

May be defective or incorrect SSRs. Are you getting 240V at the inputs to the BK and HLT relays at the top when you expect power to the elements?

Quote:
I mimicked the image on your Heating Element Wiring diagram so the power into the element DPDT relays from the SSR's is connecting to the NO terminals (not the COM terminals). Could that cause this? If not, any suggestions?

Sorry, I'm not sure what this means. Maybe post a few pictures of what you're doing?

Kal

Hwaiii

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal! I'll check the SSR's.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!

Keep in mind that SSRs, as solid state relays are difficult to measure when it comes to using a voltmeter. There's leakage current (like the 75V you're seeing) that is usually always shown on the output side even when they're 'off'. Very little current flows so they're almost completely off, but because of the slight current, a voltage will be shown. They don't show 0 or 240V like a physical relay like the other 3 you use.

Kal

Hwaiii

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, reporting back that I found the issue: it was the Element Light! On a hunch I disconnected the Element Light wires and now measure 240V to the receptacle. Haven't had a chance to see what the problem with the light is, but feel the problem's now solved. Thanks for your help!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Glad you figured it out!

So what was the issue with the element light exactly? Just curious...

Kal

Hwaiii

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure yet, but when I have a chance to figure it out I'll let you know.
Hwaiii

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it wasn't the light after all. Turns out I had crossed the output wires from the SSR's to the DPDT relay. Switched them and everything is working beautifully now. Thanks for your help and patience Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff! Always better when you can explain the issue as now it's permanently gone! Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: