Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Location or Boil Kettle in relation to Control Panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Location or Boil Kettle in relation to Control Panel Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've seen various layouts for the Boil Kettle vs. Control Panel. Some have the Control Panel adjacent to the Boil Kettle; some have it at the opposite end of the table from the Boil Kettle. Is it better to have the control panel nearer the Boil Kettle to make visual temp adjustments between the panel and kettle to avoid boil over?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to you really. There's no right or wrong way. Mine's always been beside the HLT simply because that's where I had room in my original brewery so when I rebuilt in a new house I kept it the same way as I was used to it. Same thing with the left -> right vs. right -> left. I did what I did because of space constraints in the first place as I wanted the sink beside the boil kettle and there was only once place for the sink in the room (so right to left it was!).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines off to the right beside the hlt also. Mostly because I wanted my bk closest to the window to vent but I also thought it would be less likely to get wet in the chance of a huge boil over. I haven't noticed any issues as it's still only 4ish feet away. In hindsight though I'm glad I did it that way as I've noticed a LOT more condensation than originally expected dripping from my exhaust fan that would have probably been right above the panel if the other way around
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having mine next to my BK. So I can adjust the element while looking in the pot.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
I like having mine next to my BK. So I can adjust the element while looking in the pot.

I like this idea. That said, I won't be setting mine up that way. To me it was a choice between having the BK next to the sink (same as Kal's brewery floorplan) or having the BK next to the panel. I decided sink.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten wrote:
dp Brewing Company wrote:

I like this idea. That said, I won't be setting mine up that way. To me it was a choice between having the BK next to the sink (same as Kal's brewery floorplan) or having the BK next to the panel. I decided sink.

My HLT is next my sink (sink is on the right side of everything). I clean everything in place so it didn't really matter what was next to the sink.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture says it all? In my case, the HLT is against an outside wall - there is no space there for the control panel. So from left to right, control panel, sink, BK, MLT, HLT.

layout.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.33 KB
 Viewed:  11957 Time(s)

layout.JPG

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines a little different i had a hard time with anything electrical next to water so mine is above the mash tun, i have my set up based on where the electricity started so HLT on the right.power coming in to the unit to the right of that, I like seeing the panel from the front so I can sit far away and still see it, my mash tun is in the middle and boil to the left and sink to the left of the boil kettle and water coming in is from the sink side, its all a matter of preference I think

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am currently under construction....

My plan is do this:

This is based on Kal's "Brew Day - Step by Step" and equipment used. I already have longer than prescribed hoses and I still need to order the heater elements/ RTDs.

My thought is to be able to tip both the BK and the MT into the sink. And the control panel will be on the closer wall on the right, mounted on a TV swing arm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: