Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Water Utility Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Water Utility Report Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was finally able to obtain my local water utility report. Values are shown for each month. Depending on the time of the year the values change considerably.

My question for when using the water treatment spreadsheet, should I simply average the water utility report numbers? Should I mean the water utility report numbers? In either case, average or mean, based on the historical data in the water utility report, some months I'll be way over the actual numbers and some months I'll be way under the actual numbers.

How to others handle water quality numbers for calcium, chloride, magnesium, sodium and sulphate?

I don't believe it's reasonable for me to expect a new water quality report each month.

Thanks.

Last edited by KB on Sat May 27, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Utility Report Reply with quote

Kraig wrote:
I was finally about to obtain my local water utility report. Values are shown for each month. Depending on the time of the year the values change considerably.

My question for when using the water treatment spreadsheet, should I simply average the water utility report numbers?

That depends on what the the starting numbers are, how much they vary, what targets you're looking to get to.

Do you mind posting these monthly results along with what you're trying to get to? How much do they vary?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful copy of water quality report (pdf) posted as received from the water utility.

Corbalis Finished Water- 2016.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Corbalis Finished Water- 2016.pdf
 Filesize:  259.34 KB
 Downloaded:  689 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ca is stable over the year (28-43 ppm).

Mg very stable and low over the year (7-11 ppm).

Cl is all over the place (17-75 ppm). I don't see any pattern at all. It's a real yoyo.

SO4 is not overly stable either (15-60 ppm). I don't see any seasonal pattern at all. For some reason it jumps from 18 to 55 between June and July and then stays high until January.

Na is fairly stable and low over the year (10-38). You wouldn't want to add any more.

I guess my first question for them is why the big, somewhat random changes with Cl and SO4. The swings for these are somewhat large if you're looking at brewing something with low Cl/SO4 numbers, but maybe not a big deal if brewing something with high Cl/SO4 numbers. So it depends.

The other numbers are all fairly stable.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will follow up with the water utility. Maybe the numbers vary as the water is treated, flushed or other maintenance?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have no idea. You'd have to ask them.

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, see the May-June issue of Brew magazine. They have an article on brewing water - some components/cations like calcium are very important, some aren't. They give recommended ppm ranges for each component.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjo2125 wrote:
Also, see the May-June issue of Brew magazine. They have an article on brewing water - some components/cations like calcium are very important, some aren't. They give recommended ppm ranges for each component.

You can also see the ranges I recommend here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment
My recommended ranges are similar for some but different for others. I don't agree with all of their ranges nor do most brewers. For example, they list SO4 as 20-150 which means pretty much any IPA in the world (other than NEIPAs) wouldn't be ok as it's well above that range.

Keep in mind that ranges are not targets: They don't tell you how your mash pH is going to turn out or what the flavour is going to be. Those two are the only two things that matter.

That article also confuses people about alkalinity like many articles do.

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I didn't quite grasp their discussion on alkalinity...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a confusing subject but is somewhat irrelevant if you're going to be adjusting your water anyway, so that's the approach I tried to take with my guide. It's more of a "what to do when" guide instead of just theory.

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply from water utility

"Typically chloride and sulfate levels are determined by what is actually occurring in the water source at the time of collection and may fluctuate.

Chloride is commonly found in streams and wastewater. Chloride may get into surface water from several sources including:
• Wastewater from industries and municipalities

• Wastewater from water softening

• Road salting

• Agricultural runoff

I am assuming that the elevated value in February 2016 is indicative of a lot of road salting that month.

Sulfates are a combination of sulfur and oxygen and are a part of naturally occurring minerals in some soil and rock formations that contain groundwater. The mineral dissolves over time and is released into groundwater. Sulfates are also naturally occurring in surface water.

Feel free to contact me with any additional information you need."

Thoughts?

Kraig
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kraig wrote:
Thoughts?

They're basically saying that they don't really know or control the levels week to week, month to month. I'd probably use RO or distilled water myself. The choice is up to you.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: