Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

What to do and how to store a massive hop haul in Seattle

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drumspce

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: What to do and how to store a massive hop haul in Seattle Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello Friends. Our local home brew supply establishment has hit some hard times and will be shutting their doors. They not only supplied the home brewer segment but also were/are a wholesale supplier to area Micro/Nano breweries. To make a long story even longer....... They opened the hop vault and allowed anyone to come by and take what they wanted - Free of charge. It's so sad to see them go away.

I received:

1-50# bale of whole leaf Amarillo
1-11# pack of whole leaf Centenial
1-11# pack of pellet Crystal
1-11# pack of pellet Sterling
1-11# pack of pellet Northern Brewer
1-11# pack of pellet Equinox

That's a lot of hops! Short of a lot of Amarillo Pale Ale - Does anyone have suggestions on what to brew with these? How about suggestions on storage?

Are there any Electric Brewery forum members that are in the Seattle area that would like to share the bounty? I'm down to share the love.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What to do and how to store a massive hop haul in Seattl Reply with quote

drumspce wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions on what to brew with these? How about suggestions on storage? Are there any Electric Brewery forum members that are in the Seattle area that would like to share the bounty? I'm down to share the love.
Nice haul! I used to live in Seattle. Wish I could partake. Since you have a huge amount of free hops I say rock out some Double IPA's. You could play with some SMaSH's (or at least the same grain bill's) and see what characteristics you get out of the hops. That's probably what I would do.

As far as storage goes, hops will oxidize and get cardboardy/ cheesy if exposed to heat, light or oxygen. If you don't have one, get one of those vacuum food storage systems like Kal recommends. Keep it in a dark freezer as cold as possible. Even a few degrees warmer than below freezing causes much faster oxidation.

Since you have 11 and 50 lb bags, your best bet is to divide them out into whatever size you think is reasonable for your brew days (2 to 5 oz packs?), and vacuum seal many packs at that standard size. Only open the ones you need when needed. Vacuum seal after you open anything to keep leftovers fresh. Try to use it all within one year, sooner is always better.

Good luck!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do and how to store a massive hop haul in Seattl Reply with quote

Congrats on the hops! Too bad to hear about the store closing however...

drumspce wrote:
Short of a lot of Amarillo Pale Ale - Does anyone have suggestions on what to brew with these?

Check out the recipes here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/recipes

Lots of beers that include large amounts of Amarillo, Centennial, Crystal, and Northern Brewer.

Examples:

Amarillo & Centennial: Electric Pale Ale, Electric Pale Ale (Sessionable), American Amber Ale, Pliny the Younger, Bell's Hopslam, Firestone Walker Double Jack
Amarillo & Centennial & Crystal: The Electric IPA
Crystal: Torpedo Extra IPA
All Centennial: Bell's Two Hearted
Centennial: Pliny the Elder
Northern Brewer: Janet's Brown Ale

Quote:
How about suggestions on storage?

I'd make 1lb sacks like this and store in the freezer: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=11

Quote:
Are there any Electric Brewery forum members that are in the Seattle area that would like to share the bounty? I'm down to share the love.

Very nice to offer!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a vacuum sealer and want to offload a pound or two or three of those Sterling hops I'd be interested in working out something. I'd need you to ship them.

Let me know if interested.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in some of them, should you decide to ship. Message me with prices please.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: