Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Beer Shank - Cutting off Nipple>

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Beer Shank - Cutting off Nipple> Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Building out my setup, I have 8 beer shanks with nipples. I didn't realize this could be a problem with my beer line quick disconnect adapter that threads onto the end of the shank. I cannot find any picture online of the beer in end of a nipple-less beer shank. I'm trying to determine if I can just cut the nipples off, clean up the hole, and all would be fine.

Anyone know if the nipple can be simply cut ff? I can't see why not, except for maybe some potential issue with turbulence.

Thanks,

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure cutting it off will be fine.

But why do you want to be able to easily remove the beer line from the shank? That's not normally done. In most bar setups the beer line -> shank connection is hidden in a tower somewhere and is never undone.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I'm sure cutting it off will be fine.

But why do you want to be able to easily remove the beer line from the shank? That's not normally done. In most bar setups the beer line -> shank connection is hidden in a tower somewhere and is never undone.

Kal

Good reason - My kitchen tap and decor build out will occur in a few phases, requiring me to do a removal of almost everything each time. This is just an easy approach for me. It's not critical, but just what I am hoping will be easier in the long run.

---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fseider wrote:
My kitchen tap and decor build out will occur in a few phases, requiring me to do a removal of almost everything each time.

I don't really follow. Each time what happens exactly? How many times will it happen?
If it's only a few times you need to disconnect, you can just loosen the worm band clamp and undo.

Kal

fseider

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
fseider wrote:
My kitchen tap and decor build out will occur in a few phases, requiring me to do a removal of almost everything each time.

I don't really follow. Each time what happens exactly? How many times will it happen?
If it's only a few times you need to disconnect, you can just loosen the worm band clamp and undo.

Kal

Kal - I know. I just don't prefer to use worm band clamps due to their potential issues. I prefer step-less clamps. But I don't like cutting in a confined space if I really don't have to. (I'm down to 10 fingers already, don't need to lose anymore. Smile ) Could I use the nipples and band/screw clamps? Sure. For my build-out, these quick disconnects will work best. In another build out scenario, maybe not so much. Kind of like using the right tool for the job at hand.

---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to understand why you'd need quick disconnects.

You mentioned you need to disconnect "Each time". But I don't know what that means. Each time what exactly? How many times will it happen and what's happening exactly that requires you to disconnect the lines from the shanks?

Something doesn't make sense to me here so I want to make sure I give you advice that makes sense.

Kal

fseider

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I'm still trying to understand why you'd need quick disconnects.

You mentioned you need to disconnect "Each time". But I don't know what that means. Each time what exactly? How many times will it happen and what's happening exactly that requires you to disconnect the lines from the shanks?

Something doesn't make sense to me here so I want to make sure I give you advice that makes sense.

Kal

Hi Kal - fair enough. And no issues with the questions - keeps me on my toes. We (wife and I) are anticipating 3 or 4 build out iterations. It's just the plan. Efficient - no, of course. But, it's the plan. And in the plan, we will need to 'rip out' gracefully the previous items, such as the taps. Why - because we are building out to make our kitchen nook look more like an Irish/British pub, in a multi stage process. We are winging some of the overall design concepts, so hence the multiple iterations. And yes, not very efficient. We know. But it's a 'together project', or at least she thinks so. It's the current plan. Nobody said it was supposed to be efficient and correct the first time. It actually makes the whole process of the build out more fun, as 'we' get to do the design, I get to do all the build out, and she gets to enjoy the beer while I slave. Sounded fair to her, not so much to me Smile

If your looking for 100% rational and logic, sorry, not on this thread from me. I am just after understanding if I can cut the nipples off, and you had addressed that previously.

Fred, half of the Two Naked Frogs.

---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-4 times shouldn't be a problem if you go with just standard hose and worm clamps. I don't see the need for special disconnects. If you wanted to disconnect 100's of times then maybe disconnects would make more sense. Good luck!

Kal

tkdjim

Drinking: Scotch Ale

Working on: Moose Druel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

What spacing do you recommend for faucets?
I am planning four on a horizontal arm but might add some depending on spacing.

Thx,
tkdjim
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on the tap handles you want to use. If they're very wide, you need to go wider. Otherwise whatever commercial towers use will be fine (around 2-3" I think, but don't quote me on it). Sometimes in commercial bars you'll see the tap handles turned slightly sideways to make them fit.

Kal

tkdjim

Drinking: Scotch Ale

Working on: Moose Druel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks That is what I was thinking but seems like I've seen some that stacked in one inch apart... maybe those were only for show? You never know what or why some ppl post things these days!
tkdjim
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: