Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Keezer Regulator and Faucet Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Keezer Regulator and Faucet Thoughts Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm in the process of building my keezer now and am looking for opinions about a couple things. I've looked over JohhnyMac's build several times and am building up something very similar.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28625

I've looked at the Micromatic secondary regulators and they are obviously quite awesome. I'm also considering the Kegco commercial grade ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ4YDBM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=2c0db34847df51f9b85208d04446be91

They are half the price.

Also, considering Intertap over Perlick faucets. Probably going for the ones with flow control to be able to more easily fill one off bottles and the occasional growler.

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought on the secondaries, you will have to replace the gauges. They would be very hard to fine tune the PSI.

I keep most of my beers around 8-10 psi. This looks designed to be used with long runs, like bar settings where the beer is far away from the taps. So the regulator has to be set at a higher psi to offset the flow restriction.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghandin - I have to say, over the past 28 years of brewing, I probably have spent 3 times the money on regulators that were a bargain, and then replaced. There are a few areas now I decided to spare no expense in my brewery:

1. Micromatic tap tower, primaries and secondaries
2. Perlick 630SS taps
3. New ball lock kegs

These decisions have saved 95% of my home brewer headaches. I know they cost more, but they do for a solid reason - they are solid. These are lifetime decisions. I spend my time doing fun things in the brewery like brewing, not fussing about gaskets, non-sealing taps, over or under carbed beer, etc. My advice would be to buy one piece at a time to fit your cashflow and buy quality. Kal can tell you, I collected my brewery components over a year and a half, piece by piece to "do it right the first time" cause if you don't, you will just have to do it again. Take it slow, buy quality, and enjoy the process - building a brewery doesn't last long and is a once in a lifetime experience.

JonyMac

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely with JonyMac on this one. When it came to draft supplies I looked at what bars use. They use stuff that is resilient because they can't afford it to fail. Buy once, use a lifetime.

My bar stuff is here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290842#290842

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx guys. I have new kegs - I got tired of messing with them also. My question about the regulators and faucets was presented because I wasn't sure if those items were available when you had built your stuff. Appreciate the input! Pictures to follow...
hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a couple of new regulators. Anyone know where to buy Micromatic in Canada? Thanks
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the Micromatic premium line and Perlick 650SS Flow Controls. Regulators will be here today. Also have an SS Brewtech glycol chiller on the way for fermentation. I can't do what you did easily Johnny as I have two distinct rooms going on. I'm excited to get this project done!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I already had regulators but if I had to buy again, this primary dual unit is what I'd get:
http://www.micromatic.com/premium/premium-series-dual-primary-co2-regulator-battery-642-battery?affId=70238

Or this single unit:
http://www.micromatic.com/great-products-15-off/double-gauge-co2-primary-premium-series-642?affId=70238

Their 'premium' line really isn't that much more money. About $10 for a single unit over the similar 'economy' line one.

Both are buy once, use a lifetime. Too many homebrew shops sells cheap Chinese made junk that just doesn't last. Eventually the pressure dial/seal just stops working reliably. I'll admit that it gotten better however as many shops have stopped selling that stuff. About ~5 years ago there was a mad rush of cheap import stuff as sellers tried to undersell each other by a dollar here, a dollar there using cheap/knockoff components. Fortunately that's died down a bit - after massive customer complaints many shops simply stopped carrying it. I know of one shop that at a time had two online stores: One of the cheap crap, the other for the better stuff. Most people didn't know they were the same shop. They separated them as they didn't want to negative concerns/issues around the cheap stuff to infiltrate the 'better' site and bring down their rating in the eyes of the customers and destroy their brand reputation.

Kal

ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just showed up. I see what you mean about quality. Man, they are solid!
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghandlin wrote:
I went with the Micromatic premium line and Perlick 650SS Flow Controls. Regulators will be here today. Also have an SS Brewtech glycol chiller on the way for fermentation. I can't do what you did easily Johnny as I have two distinct rooms going on. I'm excited to get this project done!

Sweet - lots of pics of the buildout are required.

ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it! Very Happy
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few quick images:

This freezer to be used. This is a 16cf Whirlpool freezer I picked up from hh gregg since they are closing the store near me.

Here are the sexy new Micromatic regulators:

And the Perlick 650SS Flow Control valve, shank and SS disconnects for the kegs.

I'm debating on putting the regulators inside or outside the keezer. I'm leaning toward outside mounted to the wall on the right. This will free up room inside and allow me to use the top for display since this is the public area. That way I'd only have to remove whatever is on top when a keg needs replaced.

Last edited by ghandlin on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics not showing! Sad
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's odd. Wonder what happened - they were there before. Hosted on PhotoBucket....
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that's really odd. They've been deleted... Might be time to change my password!
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots of the collar progress:

Almost done:

And my glycol chiller arrived the other day as well.

[/img]

jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang - dude got some woodworking skilz - nice collar - and man a legit glycol chiller! What was your thinking on the SS disconnects for the kegs vs. the regular ball lock connectors? Just cuz? How many kegs will fit in the keezer - I see you have 8 tap holes...
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
For what it's worth, I already had regulators but if I had to buy again, this primary dual unit is what I'd get:
http://www.micromatic.com/premium/premium-series-dual-primary-co2-regulator-battery-642-battery?affId=70238

Kal

Just curious, being a newbie yet - What is the point or advantage of a dual primary? I would think that a single primary, feeding 8 secondaries is the way it's done. As I have not bought my primary yet (overlooked it, duh), I'll consider a dual primary if I understand the advantage. What am I overlooking?

Thanks,

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghandlin wrote:
Here are some shots of the collar progress:

Nice collar! And mine is actually similar - an inner and outer box made from popular, sandwiched with insulating foam, then caped off with a recessed strip into rabbeted channels. Definitely overkill, at least mine is, but that's what our wood shops are for, right?!

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fseider wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

Just curious, being a newbie yet - What is the point or advantage of a dual primary? I would think that a single primary, feeding 8 secondaries is the way it's done. As I have not bought my primary yet (overlooked it, duh), I'll consider a dual primary if I understand the advantage. What am I overlooking?

Thanks,

My mistake! I thought that was a primary/secondary regulator. I read / answered too fast. Sorry for the confusion. I'd get whatever micromatic offers in their better quality single primary followed up by however many secondaries you need.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: