Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

How do you "age" your beer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucianthorr

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: How do you "age" your beer? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've seen a number of posts that ask almost this question but I'll ask again if ya'll don't mind.

I've had a beer sitting in my conical for the last 8 weeks because it's a brett blend and I know it needs time. However, my patience is ebbing. I want to brew and I want my fermenter and temperature controller back.

I feel like I should just transfer it to a corny, purge with some C02 and throw it in the closet for another month or two. When it finally tastes like a final product, throw it in the fridge and then carbonate it.

I'm wondering, does anyone else have a workflow that they use for this type of aging? Is there a reason that I should transfer the beer from the keg used for secondary/aging to another keg for chilling and carbonating? The only downside I can imagine in using the conical for this is that once the beer is in the conical, there's no more removing sediment because as it settles, it'll be the first thing out of the liquid-out tube. My guess is that's pretty darn minuscule though.

As always, thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I don't know of any commercial brewers that age in fermenters. Fermenters are the first thing a brewer tries to clear (esp a commercial brewer). You're always waiting on fermenters.
I recommend fermenting until complete and then move it out to make room for the next batch.
If I need to long term age a beer I do it in the final 'package' which in my case is usually kegs (bottles would work too).

lucianthorr wrote:
Is there a reason that I should transfer the beer from the keg used for secondary/aging to another keg for chilling and carbonating?

No need to transfer from one keg to another. I normally condition/age while I chill/carb at the same time. I do this in kegs in my conditioning fridge. Complete details in the last step of my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP article: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kal, I ferment in my conical and age in corny kegs or bottles.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
lucianthorr

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely a help in hearing how exactly more experienced brewers pace out their beers.

In the case of these slower fermenting yeasts though, like brettanomyces, I was curious if their fermentation is part of waiting for it to 'complete' or if it's considered more as part of aging because it's moving so slow.
Sounds like, no matter what, I'm totally safe in moving this beer to a keg and I can reserve this Sunday for brewing!
Thanks again.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, people may be doing different things with Brett and never having done that myself I can't really comment as to yeast management/racking of Brett beers. Maybe others can chime in.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: