Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy (New England IPA / NEIPA)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
brewed this two weeks ago to the exact recipe/instruction and just transfered to the kegs now. its very nice already. SUPER hoppy but not too bitter. thanks as always kal
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! I just put another batch on tap myself a couple of days ago after carb’ing at 40 psi for 24 hours. Love it!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
GLRRA47

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed my first batch of hop candy this past Sunday. Interesting brew and sure smells great! What method have you found that works best to avoid sucking the hops out when racking from the secondary into the keg?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLRRA47 wrote:
Brewed my first batch of hop candy this past Sunday. Interesting brew and sure smells great! What method have you found that works best to avoid sucking the hops out when racking from the secondary into the keg?

After 3 days a large portion of the hops will have settled on the bottom. Keep the racking cane off the bottom and carefully move it down as you rack. You'll get some hops in the keg, don't worry about it.

Kal

dmbank

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this Sunday and it was one of the more challenging brew days I've had in quite a while. I had a hard time sourcing the Galaxy hops (at a reasonable price) until I went to one of Kal's suppliers. Then my mash tun's false bottom failed (TWICE) and I had to scoop the grain out to re-set it. I think the 3.5 lbs of flaked oats made my grain bed a little more solid than if I had a grain-only grain bill. Fearing I was a few points low on my gravity, I added a pound of DME, which immediately foamed up and boiled over. However, the hop stand went perfectly and initial fermentation filled the fermenter and surrounding garage with an amazing hop aroma. I was a few quarts low on volume and a few points high on gravity but I keep telling myself it's making beer. The airlock stopped bubbling after 3 days and I'm waiting patiently for a few more days before racking for the dry hop addition. The 1318 yeast really chewed through the yeast quickly! If everything else goes well I will have this brew carbed and ready for St. Patrick's Day.

All of this to say thanks for an amazing recipe and website. I've learned so much!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum dmbank!

dmbank wrote:
Then my mash tun's false bottom failed (TWICE) and I had to scoop the grain out to re-set it.

That's unfortunate! What equipment are you using? One thing that can help is to open the mash valve slowly when you first start recirculation after mashing in. Take a good ~2 good minutes to open and watch the sight glass (if you have one): If you're getting a stuck mash the level in the sight glass will drop fast because there's less resistance through it than through the grain bed.

dmbank wrote:
The 1318 yeast really chewed through the yeast quickly!

The hops added at high krausen help I find - it really seems to stir things up / get things moving due to all the nucleation points it creates.

Quote:
If everything else goes well I will have this brew carbed and ready for St. Patrick's Day.

Enjoy! Let us know how you like it!

Quote:
All of this to say thanks for an amazing recipe and website. I've learned so much!

Glad to hear it!

Cheers,

Kal

dmbank

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What equipment are you using?

I'm slowly building a 3-keggle system, and I have a pico false bottom. They warn not to run pumps too high, or to use any pickup tubes greater than 3/8" due to the vacuum effect it causes below the false bottom. I ran it that way the two previous brews and didn't have any issue - hence the oats hypothesis.

I haven't installed a sight glass in either the brew kettle or the mash tun, but I do have one more. I didn't think the mash tun would be a useful place to put it, but what you say makes a lot of sense.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! The sight glass is also great for matching fly sparge flow rates. I use a binder clip and I can see almost immediately if my flow rates are matched when I first start fly sparging. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step?page=8

Kal

dmbank

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally done with all the hops, and starting to cold crash it in my makeshift 'brite tank'. I will probably end up with less than 10 gallons due to hop absorption, but I've got plenty, especially for my first go at this one, and considering the mash problems I had I'll take it.

One problem - this beer finished lower than expected. I didn't check it until day 5, at which point it was already in the 1.010 - 1.012 range. At that point I figured there was no need for letting the yeast clean up and I racked it on the last hops addition. I'll need to be more diligent taking readings when I make this in the future. The hydrometer gravity sample was delicious, though.

I'm thinking the problems with the failed false bottom caused a wort that spent too much time in the 140° - 150° temp range, but my question is about the FG. Has anyone had this beer finish that low? It's my first time with the 1318 yeast - does it attenuate that much? My OG was 1.068 with the additional DME I added, and I kept it at 68°. I'm looking at 82% - 85% attenuation which is high for this yeast. This will be a bigger beer than I expected, but I still can't wait to get it on tap and try it. Thanks!
ampsman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second time making this beauty, trying different yeast this time.
And wow...so I used burlington ale yeast with a 1L starter and this baby is down to 1.012 from 1.056 in 48 hours!!! Gonna check again tonight (72 hours) and see where its at. Threw in the first round of dry hops at 24 hours. Thinking I will throw in round 2 tonight and give it 3 more days and then keg.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ampsman wrote:
My second time making this beauty, trying different yeast this time.
And wow...so I used burlington ale yeast with a 1L starter and this baby is down to 1.012 from 1.056 in 48 hours!!! Gonna check again tonight (72 hours) and see where its at. Threw in the first round of dry hops at 24 hours. Thinking I will throw in round 2 tonight and give it 3 more days and then keg.

Wow - that's fast! What was the wort temperature during fermentation? With fermentation that fast I'd be concerned it got too high (which can throw off flavours). When I used WLP095 it took a little over a week to finish, fermenting at 66-68F (I ramp up slightly at the end and will usually let it free rise to ~72F room temp once it's within 5 or so points from target).

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

ampsman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ferm fridge and had it at 68 the entire time. I was even worried because I was in a rush and didnt aerate as well as normal. The only thing I did different was throw a Servomyces Yeast Nutrient in the boil. Could that have impacted it that much?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how it could make such a huge difference.

Just to be sure, are you using a hydrometer or refractometer to measure? (Refractometer do not work correctly when alcohol is present. There are calculators to try and offset the errors but none of them seem to agree with each other).

Kal

ampsman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, I was using a hydrometer. I took 2 reading cause I didnt believe it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's it taste? (At the end of the day that's all that matters)

Were you fermenting in a time machine by chance? Wink

Kal

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
‡As a side note, I find it interesting that over the years I've actually been "New England-ing" (if that's a verb) my Electric Pale Ale house beer without even realizing it.

My friends drink my version of your Electric Pale ale and when the NEIPA craze started they would all say, "This tastes like Perogi Pale". imo - it's the precursor to NEIPA and still my house beer.
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This beer is good. So good in fact I've only made it once because it went so fast it was rather frustrating. 95% of my friends are hop heads. Think adding 2lbs of corn dextrose to up the ABV will cause issue? Or would I need to adjust everything else also? I need something to slow the rate of consumption, so I can enjoy it more this go around.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fal wrote:
Think adding 2lbs of corn dextrose to up the ABV will cause issue?

It'll change the beer by increasing the alcohol and also dry things out likely too much unless you introduce more unfermentables. It would also change the balance. If you want a higher ABV version I would increase the grain amounts. You should probably also increase the hop amounts too to balance it out. Really up to you how to want to adjust. Good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu May 03, 2018 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corn also has a flavor
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corn does, but corn sugar (dextrose) doesn't. This stuff here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Corn-Sugar-Dextrose

Normally it's used in IIPAs, Belgians, or other higher gravity beers where you want to raise the alcohol level of beer without adding any flavour and keeping the final gravity down as it is 100% fermentable. Also used as 'priming sugar' which is added at bottling to carbonate beer.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12
Jump to: