Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
Home ]   [ Products ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ What's New ]   [ About / Contact  ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy (New England style IPA)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, Scottish 70/-, English IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter, Saison

Working on: Kölsch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Good luck with your brew!

Electric Hop Candy (like many NEIPAs) is definitely hop-heavy. Because of this NEIPAs will always cost more to brew than some other simpler beers.

Cheers,

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
alphakry

Drinking: Cider [extract]

Working on: Gin Barrel Saison [extract]

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, totally makes sense. Thanks again Kal - i'm in love with your site as I move into Electric Brewing.

I'll get to becoming a forum supporter on my next pay check! Smile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my quest to brew this beer in time for our friends and family Christmas get together, I must first thank Kai and everyone else for their input thus far! This forum community is great!

So I was wondering what opinions would be on using some substituted ingredients in the grain bill. If i may ask forgiveness for suggestion changes to a masterpiece, but I have come across a friendly offer for some really great pricing on Weyermann branded malts. So I'd be looking at possibly integrating some of their malts into this recipe and wanted feedback from anyone that has brewed this or uses their brand of malts...

IE: using their Pilsner malts in substitution for the Domestic 2-Row Malt, using their Pale Wheat Malt over Western white wheat and i'm not quite sure which of their malts would best match up to the Maris Otter and Honey Malts. Thoughts?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, Scottish 70/-, English IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter, Saison

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

alphakry wrote:
In my quest to brew this beer in time for our friends and family Christmas get together...

When's the get together? This one's a fairly fast brew and will be kegged about 10 days after your brew day. If you force carb (set to ~45PSI overnight) it'll be ready to drink pretty much the next day. IPAs are best to be consumed fresh and leaving it a week or so lets then come together a bit better too I find.

Quote:
So I was wondering what opinions would be on using some substituted ingredients in the grain bill.

Completely up to you - sub anything you like. Depending on what you sub, the results will be affected of course.

Quote:
I have come across a friendly offer for some really great pricing on Weyermann branded malts. So I'd be looking at possibly integrating some of their malts into this recipe and wanted feedback from anyone that has brewed this or uses their brand of malts... IE: using their Pilsner malts in substitution for the Domestic 2-Row Malt, using their Pale Wheat Malt over Western white wheat and i'm not quite sure which of their malts would best match up to the Maris Otter and Honey Malts. Thoughts?

Weyermann makes great stuff. You could sub the domestic 2-row for their pilsner malt and you won't even notice the difference given everything else going on.

Their Pale Ale malt would be a reasonable sub for the Maris Otter. Maybe a touch too light but would still work well. It's what I'd use.

They make Wheat malt so no issues there - use the Pale Wheat. I don't believe they make flaked oats. The oats are important here for mouthfeel.

I like the use of some Honey Malt (~5% or so) in this beer too as it adds a touch of body and sweetness. If you don't have it, replace it with something else like more base malt or something similar kiln level (25L) or possibly 80% Melanoidin malt and then one of their caramel/crystal malts in the 20-30L range like their CaraRed for the other 20% to replace that colour.

Important to remember that the malt bill with this beer isn't as critical as the hops, yeast, water adjustment, and process (IMHO). You want a bunch of low lovibond stuff and then a bunch of high-protein adjuncts (wheat/flaked oats) to help provide a silky/rich mouthfeel without increasing the final gravity and making the beer too heavy or too full bodied.

Good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks Kai!!!

And I was excited to see you're already using their malts in your Hop Candy Jr recipe so i'll be making that as well with a lot of comfort knowing I'm as close to original recipe as possible! EXCITED!!

We'll be sitting down to drink on Christmas Eve, so i should have the time as you said. Plus I'll be fermenting in either an SS Unitank or Spike's CF - so I can ferment under pressure to help reduce that time as well.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the brew!

Kal

dtapke

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this, skipped the irish moss addition, and I've noticed my color is off compared to yours, It seems oxidation plays a heavy and fast role with this style? I'm also wondering if the skipped irish moss could cause it. It's looks more like yeasty water than orange juice...

I co2 purged my kegs but transferred openly instead of closed. Upgrading my plastic conical this weekend by making some silicone O-rings to seal it better at the lid, and adding a corny co2 quick connect, along with a proper dip tube to allow for fully closed transfers.

maybe some day I'll fork over the cash for a unitank or something similar! but for now, a $75 inductor tank with $100 worth of misc hardware will have to do!

EDIT: I should say, It's absolutely DELICIOUS!

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtapke wrote:
EDIT: I should say, It's absolutely DELICIOUS!

That's really all that matters! Glad you like it!

Re: Oxidation: It affects IPAs more than most other beer styles so it's important to be really careful if doing open transfers (always purge target vessels, don't do this where there's any breeze, etc).

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: