Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy (New England IPA / NEIPA)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm having some trouble achieving your water profile in EZ Calc.

Your target profile is: Ca=100, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=200, SO4=100

The point where I get stuck the Chloride adjustment. I can't get chloride to 200 without overshooting on calcium.

As you can see in the calculator, there is no way to bring up chloride without drastically affecting other parts of the profile.

Once I hit Ca = 100, my Cl is only 134.

If I adjust up the CaCl2 to reach Ca = 200, my Ca rises to 138.

I could use table salt instead of NaHCO3 (which I use for Na, being that I'm starting with RO water), but that would only bring my Cl up by 16 ppm.

Thoughts?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcraig wrote:
I'm having some trouble achieving your water profile in EZ Calc.

Your target profile is: Ca=100, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=200, SO4=100

The point where I get stuck the Chloride adjustment. I can't get chloride to 200 without overshooting on calcium.

As you can see in the calculator, there is no way to bring up chloride without drastically affecting other parts of the profile.

Once I hit Ca = 100, my Cl is only 134.

If I adjust up the CaCl2 to reach Ca = 200, my Ca rises to 138.

I could use table salt instead of NaHCO3 (which I use for Na, being that I'm starting with RO water), but that would only bring my Cl up by 16 ppm.

I wouldn't worry about going a bit over on Ca, to 120 or 130. It's not critical. Get Cl to 200, SO4 to 100, keep Na and Mg fairly low, and then get Ca to about 100.

Starting with RO (all zeros) I was able to get to: Ca=116, Mg=22 , Na=16, Cl=200, SO4=100

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the assistance with the water profile, I went with additions that yield the profile in your last post. Per one of your other posts, I added the "sparge" addition right into the BK.

I ran into a problem I haven't seen in a while with this brew- a stuck mash. I couldn't run the pump at more than a moderate trickle before it would drain the base and cavitate. This posed problems with maintaining mash temp, as well as the rise to 168F. The mash started at just over 150F and probably stayed there for 30 min before dropping to around 145F. By raising the HLT to 175F I was able to slowly get the bash back to 150F by the end of 90 min.

In retrospect, I think the issue is my grain crush. I can't find my feeler gauge right now, but I think it's set to 0.045". The look of the crush is a bit on the shredded side. I think I get away with it with a lot of brews, but throw in a bunch of wheat and oats and it was too resistive. Next time I'll try shifting the crush up to 0.048" and add rice hulls.

Despite the above, I still managed to hit 1.065 OG. Go figure!
mark2215

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed a very similar recipe yesterday, everything went great!

Craig, next time add the flaked oats and wheat to the top of the grain in the mash tun. I'm betting the oats clogged the false bottom causing your problems.
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

The idea crossed my mind, but I should have paid more attention. I added the oats in the middle of grain additions, but I doubt it helped much. I should have waited and dumped it on top. On the same issue, would you recommend adding the wheat after the barley?

Craig
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I just dumped it all in at the same time and gave it a quick stir before starting up the pump. But I've had zero issues with stuck flows with the kettle/false bottom/pump equipment I use/recommend. If your equipment if prone to stuck flow, throw a few handfulls of rice hulls in to most of your beers. It's cheap insurance. Good luck!

Kal

drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I use the Blichmann 15 gallon and their false bottom. As you recommend!

Sometimes I wonder if scale matters.

You do 12G batches in a 20G kettle. I did this brew as a 6G batch in a 15G kettle. Maybe there's something about your setup that just works better. More false bottom area perhaps.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I wouldn't think so! Maybe your grain mill's set tighter than 0.045"? You mentioned not being sure about it... I would double check. Nothing wrong with 0.050" either.

Kal

dward4421

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially had a problem recirculating within the first few minutes after dough in for this recipe. After a few quick stirs, no problems during the rest of the 85 min of the mash. My gap setting is set to 0.045. I probably missed a dough ball in the beggining. I've never had problems with my Belgium wit, which had higher a percentage of wheat.
ultravista

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal - do you find any perceptible differences in whirlpooling much later in the cool down process vs. post-flame out, or @ 185 degrees?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultravista wrote:
kal - do you find any perceptible differences in whirlpooling much later in the cool down process vs. post-flame out, or @ 185 degrees?

I don't whirlpool. Are you asking if I notice a difference between doing a hop stand at (say) 212F right after boil vs cooling down to 180F and then doing the stand? If that's the question then it's hard to say as I've never done two identical batches with that being the only difference. The science around it is somewhat fuzzy, and it probably depends on the hops too, including contact time and temperature. It's said that at lower temps the hops release their essential oils into the wort, while minimizing the vaporization of these essential oils, adding a kick of hop flavour/aroma with a smoother bitterness. So I haven't tested both ways with this exact beer to really see what the difference is exactly. Instead, I try and follow 'best practices' for process using what we know. That said, I've been doing them a lot with beers and enjoy the results, but haven't really done any scientific 'back to back' tests to really see what difference it makes. Hop stands at varying temps are done a lot by pro brewers who *do* spend a lot of time testing different processes so I try to leverage the work they've already done. Wink

A good read: https://byo.com/article/hop-stands?ref=39

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking for the upvote button. Fantastic writeup - gives me the confidence to give this a go without worrying about the outcome.

Pictures, recipe, videos, we are so blessed that you share your hard work.

Thanks!!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks StafflesBrew! Glad to hear you enjoyed the write-up! Let us know how the beer turns out if you decide to brew it. Cheers!

Kal

rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any dry yeasts that you would recommend for this beer? Getting liquid yeast in Thailand can be a bit tricky. I was thinking Saf 04
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
Are there any dry yeasts that you would recommend for this beer? Getting liquid yeast in Thailand can be a bit tricky. I was thinking Saf 04

Not really. I do mean to try this with S-04 to see how well it works. This yeast: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Fermentis-Safale-S-04-Dry-Yeast

Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've never really been a fan on S-04 however, having used it for many years on and off.

Kal

drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal is a genius!

Had my first taste of this beer today (day 17) after transferring to keg with a quick-carb and my God... this is an amazing beer. Juicy, deep hop flavor, with the silky smoothness of the best NE IPAs. It's as if you're drinking the nectar of a mythical tropical hop fruit between the legs of... You get the idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mb90xfc8ymk1e6n/IMG_1280.JPG?dl=0

I had to make a few hop subs because I couldn't get Galaxy locally for the first part of the recipe. For the late boil hops and whirlpool I used Citra/Mosaic/El Dorado. For the first dry hop I used Citra/Mosaic/Mosaic. For the second dry hop I received some galaxy from NB and did Galaxy/Galaxy/Mosaic. For the yeast I used Imperial Dry Hop (A24). FG was 1.014. I'm loving the Brewbucket.

A LOT of hop residue flowed out of my Brewbucket into the secondary (I used the supplied dip tube). I did the transfer under light pressure with CO2 applied to the blowoff tube. Here's a pic after two days of cold crashing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bnt4x0znklw9zd/IMG_1276.JPG?dl=0

Thanks Kal- fantastic recipe.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for sharing and glad you're enjoying it! I actually brewed another batch last Wednesday that'll likely be kegged late this weekend.

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give this a go with S-04, how many gram to you recommend? 24g or more?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
I will give this a go with S-04, how many gram to you recommend? 24g or more?

36-48 grams should be fine for a 11-12 gallon (into the fermenter) batch.

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal

Why use so much as oppose to the Electric pale ale which only requires 24g... yet same batch size?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12
Jump to: