Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy (New England IPA / NEIPA)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I brewed this on Sunday and did my first dry hop addition last night and WOW it was like I put some mentos in a coke bottle! Good thing I had 5 gallons of head space for this 13 gallon batch!

Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA

Last edited by Jerz on Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Adding hops throws in a bunch of nucleation points which drive CO2 out of solution.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just crashed and carbed in my unitank and have been sampling and I already need to make another batch...between a 2.5 gallon keg for my brother, a 5 gallon keg for me and 2.5 gallons for canning and then sampling... it'll be gone before you know it. Time to step up my game and knock the dust off the 30 gallon boil kettle.

NEIPA.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.04 KB
 Viewed:  19278 Time(s)

NEIPA.jpg

Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you like it Jerz!

Kal

Tripel

Drinking: Winter Wit, Kolsch, Flemish Red, Imperial Stout

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal,

Delayed reply. Brewed last spring. Got busy then had trouble with login. The beer didn’t last long. Crowd favorite. Everyone claims it’s the best beer I’ve brewed. In a blind AB testing against Heady, one Friday afternoon happy hour in my hood, your recipe won unanimously. Thanks for the great recipe.

York

"Whisper to Thunder" Jimmy Page
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great York. Glad everyone enjoyed. Better than Heady? That's some endorsement!

Kal

Tripel

Drinking: Winter Wit, Kolsch, Flemish Red, Imperial Stout

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Heady’s defense freshness won. Better nose. PA is not in The Alchemist’s distribution area.

"Whisper to Thunder" Jimmy Page
piwko4

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many billion yeast cells are you looking to pitch in the 10gal. I know recipe calls for 6 packs, but im going to create a starter and do 2 sereate 5 gal batches. I wana try out Omega Voxx Kveik and want to make sure i have a proper starter made for both. What pitch rate did you use. Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

6 packs means 600 billon cells as each pack has ~100B when new. Given that it's basically impossible to have a pack that is 0 days old, you'll have a bit less.

You make a good point that I should probably list the actual cell count pitch rate as part of the recipe. Let me think about that a bit... (EDIT: Done. Turns out I actually want 722B cells in this beer).

See my yeaster starter guide here to learn more about making starters and how to calculate how many cells you actually have and how to grow it to the amount I suggest: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/making-a-yeast-starter

You enter the starting gravity, volume of beer (and other info) and it'll tell you a cell count.

Now that said, Kveik yeast is a completely different beast so I can't help with that as standard pitch rates go completely out the window with kveik. You can't apply "standard" yeast pitch rates with kveik. It's usually much lower but I don’t have much experience with kveik so I can’t really help here. Kveik is also very different in other ways too and some will affect your pH.

Good luck with the beer!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I just cut everything in half (ingredients) to do a half batch?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 wrote:
Do I just cut everything in half (ingredients) to do a half batch?

Correct. True for any recipe. All brewing software has scaling tools built in. You can enter the recipe as is, then have the software scale it for you to any amount you like.

Keep in mind that every setup has different mash efficiency too (since no two people use the same equipment or brew exactly the same) so you'll need to scale for mash efficiency as well but mash efficiency only affects the grain amounts.

For complete details, see my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else think this would be ideal for OYL091 Hornindal Kveik - Omega Yeast? It sounds like the flavors the yeast put off would go perfect. Any reason not to use this yeast or fermentation temperatures?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fal wrote:
Anyone else think this would be ideal for OYL091 Hornindal Kveik - Omega Yeast? It sounds like the flavors the yeast put off would go perfect. Any reason not to use this yeast or fermentation temperatures?

Haven't tried it myself but experimentation is half the fun (and one reason why I have split fermenters). While I recommend doing research and asking others, at the end of the day you learn the most by doing your own experiments. Try it and let us know what you think!

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Fal wrote:

Haven't tried it myself but experimentation is half the fun (and one reason why I have split fermenters). While I recommend doing research and asking others, at the end of the day you learn the most by doing your own experiments. Try it and let us know what you think!

Kal
I haven't tried it with this beer yet. I have just brewed your Electric Pale Ale. I pitched the LalBrew Voss Kveik Ale Yeast exactly 48 hours ago. It is a dry yeast. It's supposed to be more neutral with a slight citrus flavor. Optimal temperature is 95 degrees F. It is already fermented to the expected FG. 48 hours?! It's still seems active, but I just started the citra dry hop. It's rather odd because you cringe upon trying it know the temperature. This stuff is legit though. It's very neutral. I can't comment to the citrus because the hop content. This beer is up next and I'm sure it's going to be a good fit. It's an excellent yeast so far.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fal wrote:
I have just brewed your Electric Pale Ale. I pitched the LalBrew Voss Kveik Ale Yeast exactly 48 hours ago.

I'd be curious to hear about what the OG ends up at.

Quote:
Optimal temperature is 95 degrees F. It is already fermented to the expected FG. 48 hours?! It's still seems active, but I just started the citra dry hop. It's rather odd because you cringe upon trying it know the temperature.

Indeed. First time I used a saison yeast into that temperature range your brain is screaming "you can't ferment this hot" but kveik and saison strains are different.

Speaking of which, there's a new book out about this: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/historical-brewing-techniques-the-lost-art-of-farmhouse-brewing

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Fal wrote:
I have just brewed your Electric Pale Ale. I pitched the LalBrew Voss Kveik Ale Yeast exactly 48 hours ago.
I'd be curious to hear about what the OG ends up at.
1.057 to 1.010 with 81.8% attenuation. It's hard to tell if it really was active after my last post or just off gassing. I was worried it may dry the beer out too much and eat sugars chino does not. It doesn't appear to do that. It stopped right where it should. I'm making your NEIPA next, so that was a big worry.

Flavor is good.
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal. You think I should mash a little warmer (say +2 degrees), since this is yeast attenuates more efficient than the london III yeast?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fal wrote:
Kal. You think I should mash a little warmer (say +2 degrees), since this is yeast attenuates more efficient than the london III yeast?

I'm not sure how much higher than the recipe 160F mash temp I'd go. They say the alpha range is 155-162F. Higher than that I'd be concerned that you're starting to get into the enzyme denaturing temperature zone (remember that I recommend mashing out all my recipes at 168F to denature the enzymes). Replacing more of the base malt with Carapils/Carafoam could be done. It took me half a dozen brews before getting this one right myself. Kveik is compltely different so experimentation would be required. Good luck!

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Fal wrote:

I'm not sure how much higher than the recipe 160F mash temp I'd go. They say the alpha range is 155-162F. Higher than that I'd be concerned that you're starting to get into the enzyme denaturing temperature zone (remember that I recommend mashing out all my recipes at 168F to denature the enzymes). Replacing more of the base malt with Carapils/Carafoam could be done. It took me half a dozen brews before getting this one right myself. Kveik is compltely different so experimentation would be required. Good luck!

Kal
So, I brewed this on Sunday. The adjustments I made were: I mashed at 154 instead of 152 to try and offset the better attenuating kviek. I added the first dry hops right on top of the pitched yeast. So, O2, yeast, dry hop 1 all in the same 5 minutes. The beer was finished on Wednesday when I added the 2nd round of dry hops. OG = 1.064 on Sunday, FG = 1.014 on Wednesday. Right where I hoped. Now, I figure I need to wait until Saturday to keg it. The sample tastes the same as others batches with LondonIII. We will see how the final product comes out.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Let us know how the final keg is once kegged and carb'ed up.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12
Jump to: