Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy (New England IPA / NEIPA)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Electric Hop Candy (New England IPA / NEIPA) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-hop-candy-new-england-ipa-neipa

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:59 pm; edited 42 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome; gonna give it a go real soon. Great work on the writeup and the research.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason! After all that writing, I think it's time for a pint. Wink

Kal

drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to try this. The best beer I ever brewed was based on the HBT Heady Topper clone thread. This sounds like a real treat.

Kal- question for you on brewing salt additions. EZ Calc specifies separate mash and sparge additions. How do you handle this when fly sparging? What's your protocol?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ez water calculator as well - it'll tell you how much to add to the mash and how much to add to the boil (that's what I do). Good luck!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up Kal, will be brewing up this one soon! Appreciate the quality info that went into this!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John! I have to say I did enjoy the research. I find it's a fun part of brewing for me.

If anyone has any comments or corrections let me know too!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is good timing:

Order a minimum of 8 oz. of hops, and get 20% OFF! Just use the Promo Code: 20HOPS at checkout.
Also available towards bulk 1 lb. hop pellets AND 1 lb. leaf hops. DEAL ENDS TUESDAY MARCH 14th!

Note: All 3 hops used in our new Electric Hop Candy New England IPA are in stock and shipping!

Link: http://shop.greatfermentations.com/category/20-per-off-hops/?a=ebrew

Using our links helps support our site at no additional cost to you - we thank you!

Kal

pa28ifr

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant wait to try it Kal! I brewed the Citra Double IPA on Sunday.
raffeja

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, Kal! Great article, thanks for the time and research!

I see you have Whirlfloc in the recipe - can you comment on its role for this style? I think some people really enjoy the hazy appearance, though I fully get the debate on this subject. I personally like the OJ appearance with the juicy taste. I don't know if Whirlfloc would even make of a difference in the appearance given the polyphenols from the hops. I left it out of my recent recipe. It's cheap and likely wouldn't matter, but just curious on your thoughts there.
ultravista

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal, how much Cl and SO4 is needed to achieve a ratio of 200:100 ppm per 1 gallon of RO water?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultravista wrote:
kal, how much Cl and SO4 is needed to achieve a ratio of 200:100 ppm per 1 gallon of RO water?

Not sure! I would recommend using EZWaterCalculator (it's free) to figure that out. Good luck!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raffeja wrote:
I see you have Whirlfloc in the recipe - can you comment on its role for this style? I think some people really enjoy the hazy appearance, though I fully get the debate on this subject. I personally like the OJ appearance with the juicy taste. I don't know if Whirlfloc would even make of a difference in the appearance given the polyphenols from the hops. I left it out of my recent recipe. It's cheap and likely wouldn't matter, but just curious on your thoughts there.

I leave out gelatin before packaging but use whirlfloc in the kettle. I figured you want to leave behind kettle trub and get clear wort into the fermentor. I don't want all the extra hop oils I'm adding later via dry hopping to fall out / stick to the trub that's going to get left behind.

Kal

LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, this looks great, been wanting to try heady topper but impossible to find out here on the west coast. My question is why use an immersion chiller to bring the post boil wort down to 180 instead of your counterflow and recirculating? Are you just concerned about hot side aeration?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGarby wrote:
Kal, this looks great, been wanting to try heady topper but impossible to find out here on the west coast. My question is why use an immersion chiller to bring the post boil wort down to 180 instead of your counterflow and recirculating? Are you just concerned about hot side aeration?

No - I use a Hop Stopper which isn't meant for recirculating setups. It does such a good job at keeping break material out of the fermenter that it'll clog if you try and recirculate continuously. It's meant for 1-pass use. So I use a cheap immersion chiller to bring the wort temp down from 212 to 180F in about 2-3 mins, then do the hop stand, then use the counterflow/Hop Stopper into the fermenter.

Lots of different ways to skin this cat we call beer... Wink

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
LGarby wrote:

No - I use a Hop Stopper which isn't meant for recirculating setups. It does such a good job at keeping break material out of the fermenter that it'll clog if you try and recirculate continuously. It's meant for 1-pass use. So I use a cheap immersion chiller to bring the wort temp down from 212 to 180F in about 2-3 mins, then do the hop stand, then use the counterflow/Hop Stopper into the fermenter.

Lots of different ways to skin this cat we call beer... Wink

Kal

Oh, completely forgot about the hop blocker. Makes perfect sense.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, though that said, chilling / recirculating through it for only a couple of minutes would probably be fine. I just didn't want to take any chances.

Kal

stickyfinger

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a ton of experimentation with NE IPA. I don't really know if the murkiness is critical, maybe not. I've made what I would consider to be good examples with nothing but 2-row and crystal 15L. I usually do no kettle hops and a HUGE dry hop, 2 oz/gal, but I just tried a WC IPA that had a 20-minute addition of CTZ and then 2 oz/gal of Simcoe-Centennial-Chinook that is super smooth round and amazing. I think there is a lot of room for experimentation here! If you want the murk, maybe leave out the kettle finings and use a super huge dry hop. I think you will be satisfied....
GLRRA47

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you keep from sucking up hops from 2nd into keg?
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal - Judging by the pics, I guess you add the dry hops naked in the fermenter - you don't use a hops screen canister or something similar?
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: