Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Why are kettles so much $$?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff800

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Why are kettles so much $$? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello I'm trying to get restarted brewing after 8 years dormant, brewed extract 5 gallon batches. I have been looking for new kettles wow they are expensive. So I will just throw this out there any ideas for kettles? I have looked at Spike, Blichmann, Anchor, going the keggle route.

I'm looking at going with a 3 kettle system most likely electric, though I have gas burners and could transition to electric down the road.

I have looked at Kal's system (drool) and the Spike brewing setup around $5000, anyway just wondering what others have done to get started.
Thanks Jeff
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at concord kettles

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait for the norther brewer 20% off and buy undrilled megapots... for 20+ gallons at $200 they are worth the extra $100 over a concord...
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParadiseBrew wrote:
wait for the norther brewer 20% off and buy undrilled megapots... for 20+ gallons at $200 they are worth the extra $100 over a concord...

Do tell.... what about false bottoms?

Link to Mega Pots for those who need to look...
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/brew-kettles/megapots
terrell

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with a cheap turkey fryer doing extract kits, then upgraded to a keggle with propane, then upgraded to a bayou classic/cooler setup, and finally ended up going electric with Blichmanns. Every step of the way I tried to save a bit of money, and every time it ended up costing me more money.

I tell everyone who is interested in brewing the same thing now - if you want to dip your toe in as a hobby, borrow a pot from someone, or even better, find someone with a 10 gallon system and share on ingredients and brew days, and start with just fermenting and packaging on your own. If you are committed enough to start buying your own gear, assume you are going to want to do 10 gallon batches at some point, and invest in at least a 15 gallon kettle from a reputable vendor. As much as I love my new kettles, the bayou classics are a decent enough kettle for how much cheaper they are (15 gallons go on sale at amazon for ~$100), and the megapots seem really sturdy (which depending on how much you move them around could be a plus or a minus.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrell wrote:
I started with a cheap turkey fryer doing extract kits, then upgraded to a keggle with propane, then upgraded to a bayou classic/cooler setup, and finally ended up going electric with Blichmanns. Every step of the way I tried to save a bit of money, and every time it ended up costing me more money.

This is why I went with and recommend Blichmann. It's the buy once / cry once approach.

Since I bought mine in 2008 there are a *TON* more kettle options than before which is really cool, but I've yet to see anything that I truly feel is better and simpler to use than Blichmann.

Key points I really like include:

- The external sight glass (protected as well) which is quick and easy to clean - does not need to be removed
- The excellent completely flat louvered false bottom with stepped edge (it's one of the reasons why my efficiency is high)
- Quick remove dip tube (no tool required) that are off to the side / out of the way
- No heavy clad bottom (useless for electric setups), making the kettle heavier, more expensive, harder to move

A lot has to do with the quick/speed at which things can be cleaned with no disassembly or tools required.

If I had to rebuild today I'd get Blichmann Boilermakers again.

I outline the reasons here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/kettles-overview

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ParadiseBrew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal is right, Blichmann are the best but the cost is almost twice what a mega pot is (beer does not care what it's boiled in). Jeff, there is a deal at NortherBrewer going on right now for 20% a single item.. this would bring the 20gal pot down to $200... you can also get the all-grain kit with megapot 20's and get a false bottom and holes and more... with the 20% off it's down to $600... just saying they are good pot's and personal i like not cleaning a sight glass on my BK.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParadiseBrew wrote:
Kal is right, Blichmann are the best but the cost is almost twice what a mega pot is (beer does not care what it's boiled in) Jeff, there is a deal at NortherBrewer going on right now for 20% a single item.. this would bring the 20gal pot down to $200

20 gallon Megapot: $310, 20% off sale: $248
20 gallon Blichmann boilermaker: $415

So definitely cheaper, but not 50% less or $200. Also no sight glass on the megapot (internal markings do not work nearly as well - you have no idea where you are when boiling and when not boiling you have to constantly lift the lid to see), and the megapot is heavier due to the useless (in our setup) thick clad bottom. Their false bottom has to be attached with high temp tubing which is prone to damage from a mash paddle, isn't as easy to remove/clean, etc. Not sure if the come with a dip tube or if it has to be added. The analog thermometer (not required) adds another $40 to the cost if you want to compare more directly.

Beer doesn't care what something is boiled in, but if simplicity/repeatability is the goal Blichmann makes more sense to me. It's another $100-150 however. I look at that as a long term (20+ year) investment to making things simpler.

YMMV. Lots of different ways to make beer!

Kal

Jeff800

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

So definitely cheaper, but not 50% less or $200. Also no sight glass on the megapot (internal markings do not work nearly as well - you have no idea where you are when boiling and when not boiling you have to constantly lift the lid to see), and the megapot is heavier due to the useless (in our setup) thick clad bottom. Their false bottom has to be attached with high temp tubing which is prone to damage from a mash paddle, isn't as easy to remove/clean, etc. Not sure if the come with a dip tube or if it has to be added. The analog thermometer (not required) adds another $40 to the cost if you want to compare more directly.

Beer doesn't care what something is boiled in, but if simplicity/repeatability is the goal Blichmann makes more sense to me. It's another $100-150 however. I look at that as a long term (20+ year) investment to making things simpler.

YMMV. Lots of different ways to make beer!

Kal

Still looking and deciding on kettles, a couple things I question.

1) Sight glass many say not needed, many claim can't live without. I just brewed with a buddy he has no SG on kettles he does a RIMS so no coil in the HLT but he recirculates his mash tun. The HLT is open you can see the water and level marks inside so a SG didn't seem needed. On the MT once filled the lid is closed so a sight glass could be useful. Then the boil kettle is open you can see the amount of boil off a SG didn't seem useful.
Remember I'm coming from extract brewing using a 7 gallon brew kettle.

2) Thoughts on the tri-clad bottom sure it adds weight but if I start with gas as heat then transition to electric seems like it would be nice at least on the BK and MT. How much are you guys moving these 20 gallon kettles? Aren't you doing a CIP, running hot water through the system so no real need to move. Even so I can't see it being that much of a problem again I'm not sure.

I'm not trying to pit one kettle maker against the other to find the champion. Just to make sense of what features I might like and some reasons others like what they like.
Thanks for all the input
Jeff
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff800 wrote:
The HLT is open you can see the water and level marks inside so a SG didn't seem needed.

You're going to loose a ton of heat if the lid's off and the heating time will be slower.

Quote:
On the MT once filled the lid is closed so a sight glass could be useful.

Yup. I use it when:

- transferring
- matching sparge rates

It's also useful in the MLT to know if you're having flow issues as the level will drop in the sight glass.

Best thing for you to do is go through your brew process step by step and see how much it matters to you / how much you'd be affected. If you don't know what process you'll use, you can start with mine:

www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

Quote:
Then the boil kettle is open you can see the amount of boil off a SG didn't seem useful.

Very useful. When boiling you have no idea how much you have as it's being thrown around and there's sometimes many inches of foam so you have no idea of the level. You can't see anything at all. A sight glass is separated so the level doesn't jump around - it gives you an accurate picture of the level.

Quote:
2) Thoughts on the tri-clad bottom sure it adds weight but if I start with gas as heat then transition to electric seems like it would be nice at least on the BK and MT.

I've never understood heavy clad bottoms on kettles for brewing, even for gas. They're not needed as the liquid is not thick like spaghetti. This is why Blichmann never went with a heavy clad bottom. Remember that Blichmann's been around for years and there are tens of thousands of gas users using their kettles.

Quote:
How much are you guys moving these 20 gallon kettles? Aren't you doing a CIP, running hot water through the system so no real need to move.

Depends on the brewer. I move my MLT to the side of the sink to wash it (turning it sideways). I turn my boil kettle sideways to wash the same way.

Go through your brew day step by step and decide for yourself what makes sense for you - where the pain points are. What works for one person or is important to one person may not be important to you.

Good luck!

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding sight glasses, i have them on all three vessels but could skip the hlt in my opinion. i use the mlt glass for fly sparging. i set the flow i want into the boil kettle and then tweak the flow from the hlt such that they match. i could do so by opening the lid since heat loss while sparging isn't that big a deal but it would get annoying after a while, imo. kal is correct about watching the boil level, it is pretty darn hard to get an accurate assessment looking in the kettle, even with internal markings. the level does jump around a bit in the sight glass but not nearly as much as in the kettle itself.

i personally use spike kettles since it gave me everything i wanted at a slightly lower price point than blichmann. true that beer doesn't really care what it is made in but these sturdier, higher-end pots will last a lifetime. with great care, the thinner ones will as well but there is always the possibility of dropping it and bending it or something like that. i don't even think about that with mine. the spike kettle do have a thickened bottom for induction brewing. i don't need it and it does make the kettle heavier for what i want to do with it but so it goes. note that if you ever want to go the induction route, the blichmann's will not work, as with most other kettles.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing's for sure: There's definitely a lot more choices than there used to be for kettles, so take your time and figure out what makes sense to you. Be weary of anyone who says "brand XYZ is the best!" if they know nothing about how you brew.

Kal

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How much are you guys moving these 20 gallon kettles?" - On a cold (< 20 degrees F) up two flights of stairs. Warmer weather up the bulkhead to the hose to wash out.
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once my hlt is emptied, i set it on the floor to dry it out. the mlt gets moved 5' over to the sink for a rinse out, then to the floor for drying. bk gets tipped into the adjacent sink for a rinse out, floor to dry. then they all go back on the brew stand. i also set my mlt on the floor when kegging, placing the carboy on the table where the mlt normally sits. so i move them around a little bit but not all over the place.

i remember taking my mlt and bk upstairs and outside to clean the first time i brewed. that was a pain in the ass, only happened once.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clean all my tanks where they sit. Don't move any at any point. Don't see a reason to move them.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dump my mash tun and boil kettle and take each to the sink and spray out very well along with my false bottom, I don't move my HLT at all

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had the ability to clean them in my basement... that would be epic.
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
I wish I had the ability to clean them in my basement... that would be epic.

My basement is below sewer grade so I had to install an up-flush toilet and then plumb the sink to that. Works great but not a cheap solution.

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky that my brewery is above the drain lines. I'm also very glad to have a sink, floor drain, and 15' water hose with sprayer in the brewery. I don't think I could live without any of those items.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: