Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Extended Fermentation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Extended Fermentation? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK... so I've got a slight dilemma and need someone else's perspective to make a decision.

I have to leave on an emergency trip. I brewed a batch of the Electric IPA using US-05, 10 days before I have to leave.
I am currently 5 points away from FG - the stage where I would normally raise the temp to 71F and add my dry hops. I have 3.5 days before I must leave.

The way I see it, I have a few decisions to make:

1A. To dry hop now and keg in 3 days (day 10) - when it may not be fully done fermenting/cleaning up/resting.
I would then let the kegs sit in a keezer on CO2 to carbonate

1B. or let it sit in the fermenter for approximately 25-28 days and then dry hop and keg when I return?
This would allow me to cold crash and carbonate as I usually do, either before or after dry hopping.

2A. Do I raise to 71F now on schedule to ensure the yeast cleans up, regardless of the dry hop decision?

2B. Or leave it at 67F (or colder) for the extended time? Thanks to Wifi Inkbirds, I can adjust temp at any time remotely should it make sense to change it at any time during the 28 day fermenter use, should I not package early

Not ideal, I know... hence why my head is spinning a bit on what I should do.

Drunk

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're 5 points from FG but you don't know if it'll actually finish before you leave which is the dilemma. Unfortunately nobody but the yeast knows if they'll be done in 3.5 days. You should always wait until gravity has stabilized for least ~3 days before packaging though understandably that ~3 days isn't possible as you can't finish in 0.5 days.

I would probably do 2B and leave the temp lower. Given the extended time it'll certainly finish even if you don't raise the temp.

What fermentation vessels? My only concern would be if you're using plastic buckets as those are oxygen permeable, though it'll probably be fine.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike conical so it's SS and clean!

So what temp you thinking I should let it rest at? My thought process was to raise it to 71F, without the dry hop, until it stabilizes for at least 3 days and then remotely drop the temperature down to something lower - waiting for my return for the dry hop. I lose out on the biotransformation but I've been reading more and more about breweries that dry hop during cold crash with success as well.

I also could close it up and let it finish under pressure, though I am a bit concerned with dry hopping it after carb'd

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have the means to avoid suckback, I would leave it at whatever temp you have now.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I would close it off and apply around 5psi CO2 head pressure if I was going to plan to drop it down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: