Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Scotch ale pitching rate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firebrewmedic43

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Scotch ale pitching rate. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've been reading up on zScottish and scotch ales. Just finished Noonan's scotch ale book from Brewers publications. He's advocating a 4qt yeast slurry for a starting grav of .90-.120 for a five gallon batch. Does this seem excessive? He makes good points and in one of his recipes for an -/80 (OG. 1.042) he uses a 2qt slurry. Just wanting to get some other thoughts on this. Certainly notwithstanding Noonan's expertise in this matter
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Scotch ale pitching rate. Reply with quote

Firebrewmedic43 wrote:
He's advocating a 4qt yeast slurry for a starting grav of .90-.120 for a five gallon batch. Does this seem excessive?

Nope! Especially not at the 1.120 range of the scale.

EDIT: I took your post to mean "yeast starter" not "yeast slurry". 4 qt of compacted slurry would be an absolute massive amount of yeast even with 50% trub.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Firebrewmedic43

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal how much are you pitching for your scottish 70/-...whats,your fermentation schedule?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used US-05 for my Scottish 70/-. I chilled the wort to 64F. Aerate well (60 seconds with pure O2 or 90+ seconds with Fizz-X).
The ferment at ~64-66F until 2/3 done then turn off the fermenting fridges to let it slow rise to ~70-72F and left another ~7 days before kegging.
The beer was only 1.038 so ~24g of US-05 for 11-12 gallons was fine.

Kal

701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read this post a number of times with some confusion. After a check with mr. malty, I think my confusion has been cleared up. You mention a yeast slurry. I think what you are referring to is a yeast starter. That is different from a yeast slurry. A slurry is about 90% compacted yeast and 10% non yeast. A yeast starter is just the opposite. You would only need about 6.5 fl oz of slurry for a 1.120 five gallon batch. About the same as using four liquid yeast packs with no starter.

If I am not understanding correctly please let me know.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right!

I took him to mean "yeast starter" and not "yeast slurry" in the original post. I updated my response above.

Kal

Firebrewmedic43

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct I was meaning yeast starter... Glad you caught that
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: