Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Weekend Warriors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deprecated

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
For anyone brewing this weekend, I've taken care of the sacrificial quart of wort onto the floor so you don't have to. Hadn't done that in a while so I went all in and did it with a milk stout.

Nice UI, OMB.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deprecated wrote:
For anyone brewing this weekend, I've taken care of the sacrificial quart of wort onto the floor so you don't have to. Hadn't done that in a while so I went all in and did it with a milk stout.

Thanks for that! Nice and dark too. Good choice! Wink

Brewed an amped up version of the West Coast IPA recipe found on this website today. I increased the flamout (acutally 1 min) hops slightly by (1 oz each) and will then also be doubling the dry hop amounts. I think I'm basically turning it into a DIPA.

Some videos:

Pre-heating the strike water the night before: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnczo9cB9ce/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

The hop charge: https://www.instagram.com/p/BncdvTzBoiB/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Starting the fly sparge: https://www.instagram.com/p/BneEan0hpD8/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Hop Stopper 2.0 sucking out every last drop of wort from the 13 oz of kettle hops - absolutely nothing lost - check out the bare stainless visible underneath!: https://www.instagram.com/p/BneefonBm_z/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed an oktoberfest beer, just beat the rain, here it is fermenting, I know its a lager but I still use the same technique for both lagers and ales, start at 60 and ramp up to 72

http://monitor.ozarksmountainbrew.com:3000/d/KR-TixOmz/ozarks-fermentation-session?refresh=10s&orgId=2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

envious of your interface - really nice. Did you set up a port forward rule on you router? or is this a dedicated URL?
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the interface can be set up local or on the cloud but since it sends a packet every minute I chose local to prevent too much traffic from the esp8266 and database and I can either use port forward or nginx reverse proxy to handle the request, I've done it both ways and I really don't see any difference except for viewing the port number

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a small bug in my script, it sends all probe readings at once and one always gets cut short so I need an expert programmer to help me write some smart logic in the C++ script to send one reading at a time
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
I brewed an oktoberfest beer, just beat the rain, here it is fermenting, I know its a lager but I still use the same technique for both lagers and ales, start at 60 and ramp up to 72

What yeast? 60F seems high for most lager yeasts. (And too low for most ale yeasts). Perfect for the hybrid beers however like Kolsch, Cali common , Altbier, etc.

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yest that's a highly debatable topic but I use 34/70 yeast at 60 just fine, it's still just as clean with no off flavors if I do a rest at 72 then lager in the keg

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I have my chamber set to raise a degree every day after the first bit of activity then after 7 or so days its at room temp or 72 to 76 then back to 34 for a week
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yest that's a highly debatable topic but I use 34/70 yeast at 60 just fine, it's still just as clean with no off flavors if I do a rest at 72 then lager in the keg

Yep. 34/70 is one of the few that seems to do really well (ferments clean) at low "Ale like" temps.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I have my chamber set to raise a degree every day after the first bit of activity then after 7 or so days its at room temp or 72 to 76 then back to 34 for a week

When you drop back down to 34 to cold crash, do you do anything to avoid oxygen contact? This is one reason why I don't crash until the beer's on CO2 pressure to avoid any contact with atmosphere. While every beer is different, I find anything hop forward just has the flavour decimated if it gets any contact with atmosphere.

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I go straight to the keg in the keezer, add it to C02 then vent the keg for 15 minutes pulling about 4 times, I crash while I carbonate.

I've dabbled with no oxygen transfers a bit but I'm not a fanatic

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - it sounded like the temp schedule was automated but I guess it isn't (which is fine/good - that's what I do too).

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done what you're thinking before and what happens is the pressure rushes into the vessel as you open it and it's like riding a bike with your water jug open, it's a stale oxygenated taste at first and not a good flavor

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far my keezer is seporate from my fermintation chamber but they are close by, I might try this out one day with a hose directly from one to the other using CO2 to push
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ccguardianv2.htm

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one step closer to getting my truck out of the brewery and resuming brewing.

Got the cab, and nose minus one fender (@$$&ing dog) done, primer, base, clear this weekend.

This is after replacing both rockers, cab corners, and reskinning doors.

hood.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.79 KB
 Viewed:  16363 Time(s)

hood.jpg

bck.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.61 KB

bck.jpg

Sde.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103 KB

Sde.jpg

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kegged my White Stout this weekend. Tasted the sample and was very happy with it.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a complete clean out this afternoon and brewing and Amber bock tomorrow, my brother is visiting and his family loves my beer but never brewed with me so this should be interesting and fun

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a complete clean out this afternoon and brewing and Amber bock tomorrow, my brother is visiting and his family loves my beer but never brewed with me so this should be interesting and fun

I'm sure they will really enjoy helping out. Make them clean out the mash tun... lol

View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not brewing as the fermenters are full of German Lager, but picked up a bunch of special order yeasts that my LHBS orders direct (super fresh, usually only a few days old):

wy3787 Trappist
wy2112 Cali lager
wy1968 London ESB
wlp838 southern German Lager
wlp833 German bock lager

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: