Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Boil PID Firing Rate/Frequency too low (SOLVED)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jms7465

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Boil PID Firing Rate/Frequency too low (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm trying to get the boil kettle PID to fire more rapidly in the manual mode. Everything I read says to set the Cycle Time (t) to 2 for SSRs, but anything below 5 makes the PV reading freak out and go through the roof. At this point the PID is firing the element at a rate of on for about 6 seconds and off for about 6 seconds when set at 50%. So the issue is not only the temp reading but the rate as well.

BTW - I have had my system up and running for 2 or 3 years at this point, but I have a Sestos brand PID running the 20 gallon boil kettle. At this point I am trying to build an advanced BIAB 8 gallon system that runs off the same panel as my big system. I'm just trying to use the HLT (Auber) PID for both mash and boil. The Sestos PID has always worked great running the Boil in the Manual mode. It runs a t a cycle of about 2 seconds.

Help please

Last edited by jms7465 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not clear to me - which brand/model PID is the one that's causing the issue?

I use these ones for all kettles: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/SYL-2352-PID-temperature-controller-1-16-DIN-size-SSR-output-85-264VAC-supply

They're the same ones we use in our control panel kits and assembled control panels. Cycle time (t) is indeed 2 seconds, that's also the default. Never had any issues so a cycle time of 2 is certainly possible on that model.

Are you sure something isn't possibly wired incorrectly? I would also check all the settings against the default values in the manual to make sure something else isn't off.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jms7465

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, Thanks for the reply. The PID in question was indeed the Auber SYL-2352. I could not get it to pulse any quicker than 6 sec. on/6 sec. off in Manual mode.
BUT - I have corrected the issue by running the Auto Tune function. (I didn't think I would have to run it again and was reluctant due to the time it takes to do so) Basically, I set t=2, A-M=1, Then At=2 to start the auto tune going from 135F to 165F in the kettle. I left the room for a while, and came back to find that the PID was behaving as expected. I can switch between Auto and Manual easily enough with the Manual Mode firing at a rate of 1 sec on/1 sec off when set to 50%.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Glad to hear you were able to solve it!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: