Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Volt & amp meters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Volt & amp meters Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Can anyone help I followed the diagram for wiring these 2 meters but they don't read right. When I use a multi meter I am getting 244 volts coming to the volt meter. I am going to try to attach some images.

Thank you

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

244 on the voltmeter sounds ok. The 240V voltage in most homes can and will vary slightly. What are the meters showing?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
244 on the voltmeter sounds ok. The 240V voltage in most homes can and will vary slightly. What are the meters showing?

Kal

But I am not getting 240 reading on the volt meter screen. I bought them through Electric Brewery Website. It won't let me attach any pictures.

Thank you
Garry

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is showing on the meters, if anything?

You mentioned having a multimeter. Can you set it to DC volts and let us know:

- What voltage the DC power supply for amp meter is outputting
- What voltage the DC power supply for volt meter is outputting

Kal

IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output DC power on both are 5.4v.

Thank you
Garry

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.4V DC is too high. They should not be set higher than 5.0V DC as you may damage the meters. For complete details, see: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=9

What is showing on the meters, if anything?

Kal

IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry when i checked it again an it is 5v DC. i think i have a picture of what it shows and a picture of the transformer i used i was having a lot of difficulty with the door bell transformer and the adjustable DC power supply.

thank you so much for your time

Garry

Electric Brew Panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.73 KB
 Viewed:  23194 Time(s)

Electric Brew Panel.jpg

5v Transformer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.19 KB
 Viewed:  23194 Time(s)

5v Transformer.jpg

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics Garry!

So I'm confused what you're using. From your picture I can tell you are not building from one of our kits and are not using all of our recommend parts (PIDs are different, for example, as is the power supply). How are the meters wired up? Are the meters the ones we recommend?

You mentioned you were having problems with the door bell transformer and the adjustable DC power supply, but in your pictures you show an all-in-one power supply as the label says it takes 110-220V AC on the input side and outputs 5V DC. How were you also using a doorbell transformer? You shouldn't have to as the power supply you posted a picture can take 110-220V AC on the input side already. The doorbell transformer is normally used to reduce 110V AC down to about 15-30V AC before the DC power supply.

We used to use all-in-one units in our pre-built panel but we had to modify them slightly to make them work with the meters to isolate the inputs from outputs because of how they're built. Two were still required, one per meter. We stopped using them as we didn't want to use proprietary things with the panel that required modified. That's why we we use and recommend separate AC doorbell transformers followed by DC power supplies, one set per meter.

I don't recommend these sorts of power supplies be used unless you're familiar with component level electronics and are able to look at the unit and make any necessary adjustments required. Make sure to use two of them as well - one per meter.

P.S. Not all all-in-one power supplies will require modifications. I believe the issue is with switched mode power supplies.

Kal

IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal
I use 2 door bell transformers and 2 adjustable DC power supply. I set them to the 4.7V DC that you suggested but every time I connected to the meters and powered up the box they dimmed out, I tried adjusting the power to 5v DC the same thing happened. That why I went to a all in one transformer. I had a spare amp meter that I replaced with the one installed and it seems to work ok.

Thank you so much for your help.

Garry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I purchased the two meters from your website, yes I used a cheaper version of pids and different timed and you helped me wire them up witch I appreciate. All other were bought from you list from the guild on how to build a electric panel, from the vendors on your website Amazon.

Thank you
Garry

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrelandGarry wrote:
Hi Kal
I use 2 door bell transformers and 2 adjustable DC power supply. I set them to the 4.7V DC that you suggested but every time I connected to the meters and powered up the box they dimmed out, I tried adjusting the power to 5v DC the same thing happened.

Do you have links to the doorbell transformers and DC power supplies that you used so that we can check what you purchased?

IrelandGarry wrote:
Sorry I purchased the two meters from your website, yes I used a cheaper version of pids and different timed and you helped me wire them up witch I appreciate. All other were bought from you list from the guild on how to build a electric panel, from the vendors on your website Amazon.

Ok, I take it you used the links here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Doorbell-transformer-120VAC-in-anywhere-from-8-24VAC-out-any-wattage
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Adjustable-DC-power-supply-4-30V-AC-DC-input-1-5-27V-DC-output

I don't link to specific doorbell transformers or DC power supplies on Amazon as vendors and manufacturers come and go. So instead, for those items I search Amazon for you when you click on the links. That means you'll get a bunch of results back, some of which may not even be the correct products. So I want to make sure you purchased suitable products.

I can't help with the all-in-one power supplies as getting one of those to work may require modifying the circuit design and they're all different.

Kal

IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I bought a new volt meter and replaced the amp meter with a new one. I put in 2 door bell transformers and 2 adjustable DC power supplies. The Amp meter is working fine but still volt meter is reading -000. And both DC output is set at 4.7v.

Thank you
Garry

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What volt meter did you purchase exactly? Do you have a link the specs?

If the volt meter requires a 5VDC power supply, is being powered by 4.7VDC, and is displaying "-000" then the AC signal input is likely wired incorrectly. Sounds like it's not seeing the 240V AC.

Kal

IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the one on your website http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/3-digit-blue-LED-digital-panel-volt-meter-700V-AC-5V-DC-supply. When I put my multimeter on it and it is reading 4.7DC that you recommend. I also tested the other 2 wires one from the DPDP and on from the hot BUS and I am getting a reading of 247v. I wire to this diagram although shows a different connector than what comes with meter http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=9. The meter from your website shows the in not connected.

Thank you so much for your help
Garry

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garry,

I'm not sure why it's not working then and only showing "000". That's normally what you see if the volt meter is not receiving the AC voltage.

Can you take some pictures of your voltmeter and wiring? Maybe you're not wiring the 240V AC to correct spots? The "IN" pin should not be connect. The AC voltage needs to go to the "~" pins:

Kal

IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I am attaching a couple of photos. It is starting to get very frustrating I have checked the wiring so many times. But at least the Amp meter is working.

rps20170130_164424_984.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.89 KB
 Viewed:  23022 Time(s)

rps20170130_164424_984.jpg

rps20170130_164658_739.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.8 KB
 Viewed:  23022 Time(s)

rps20170130_164658_739.jpg

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is confusing. You have 247VAC going into the volt meter and it's still displaying "-000"? Was this volt meter ever powered with more than 5V DC?

I'm going to ask my manufacturer to see if they have any thoughts on this. Stay tuned!

Kal

IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal
After our last round of discussion I decided to buy a 2 new door bell transformers you recommend and adjusted the DC power to 4.7DC before I plugged it in to the meter.

Thank you so much for your help.

Garry

Last edited by IrelandGarry on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Mike of Spike Innovations can't explain it either.
Can you show us the DC voltage going to the meter to power it just to make sure it's indeed 4.7VDC?
You can increase that very slightly if you want, but not higher than 5.0VDC. When adjusting I recommend disconnecting from the voltmeter (just in case).

Kal

IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, attached is a picture of the DC reading. I also turned it up to 5DC and it is showing the same -000.

20170131_085648-1008x756.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.83 KB
 Viewed:  22958 Time(s)

20170131_085648-1008x756.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: