Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Single Element, No Pump, Barebones Controller

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geordiey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Single Element, No Pump, Barebones Controller Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Greetings, E-Brewing community.

First off, Kal (if you read this), thank you very much for all the time and effort you put into The Electric Brewery.

I'd like to convert a single kettle I already own to electric for BIAB-type brewing. This kettle would be using EB's 5500W SS Ripple kit, and I already have the required GFCI 30a service available for my purposes. I already have a pump setup as well, so really I just need to add the element to my pot, and build a controller just for controlling the temperature of that single pot.

Based on what I've read, I've come up with this (I am not an engineer, nor an electrician, nor a schematic-designer). My understanding is still minimal (despite the massive amount of reading I've done over the last week), so there is likely something I'm missing, and even something dangerous with my proposed design. #1 priority is safety, and #2 is controlling temps in the pot for mash and boil.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Geordie
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Single Element, No Pump, Barebones Controller Reply with quote

geordiey wrote:
First off, Kal (if you read this), thank you very much for all the time and effort you put into The Electric Brewery.

You're welcome!

I don't have much to add (I'm not entirely following the diagram) other than to say, take a look at the control panel build instructions here for guidance - you can simply remove 2 of the PIDs (MLT and BOIL), the meters, and the timer and have basically what I believe you are proposing.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
geordiey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Element, No Pump, Barebones Controller Reply with quote

kal wrote:
(I'm not entirely following the diagram)

That's not surprising. I don't truly understand it myself, and I made it!

kal wrote:
Good luck!

Thank you. I'll need it!
geordiey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm only using one element, I won't be needing the Element Select Switch. Can I simply remove it and its corresponding wiring from the diagram? Or, do I need to perform some alternate wiring to replace the wiring in your design?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would replace the ELEMENT SELECT switch with an ELEMENT ON/OFF switch. Similar idea. The switch would power the kettle relay coil.

Kal

geordiey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that we've removed the meters, I won't have a shunt. Can I wire both 10ga (from POWER IN RELAY to SSR) and 14ga (from POWER IN RELAY to 7a fuse to HOT BUS) from terminal 1 (both 10ga and 14ga on the same terminal) on the 30a POWER IN RELAY?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shunt should be thought of as just one large connection point where all the wires are connected, so without a shunt, simply take the big power input wire and continue it to wherever the big power output wire goes. The two small signal wires then obviously won't be used.

Kal

geordiey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so based on this conversation (again, thank you so much for your help!), I've come up with this design. Will this work (assuming I connect all the jumpers, not shown in this frankenstein-diagram)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: