Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

NJ Water profile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: NJ Water profile Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
does anyone have a water profile for the water in northern jersey, around Patterson/Clifton?

thanks
Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you contact your city, they should have this. Most do. Often it's online.

In fact, I believe it may even be the law in many places that complete reports be offered to anyone who asks.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been able to get the information we need as brewers from the published information. That information published is only published because the government made them and that information is just the stuff that will make you sick...
However, I have been able to get the information with a phone call. Locally in Savannah, I got a call back from the Lead Scientist (or maybe the Engineer) who had all of the information I needed. He is on daily speaking terms with the local Brewpubs and Brewers; apparently we have two sources of water, one surface water (most common) and backup on well water. The two sources have quite different ion profile and when the city switches from one to the other, the brewers get up in arms...

So call the Water Utility and tell them you want to know the Ion Profile of the water, specifically Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Chloride, Sulfate, and Bicarb / Alkalinity.

Checkout this website. http://www.whalesbrewclub.com/reference-library/reference-documents/219-new-jersey-water-database

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David H

silverspoon
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can pay Ward Labs the $27 to have your water specifically tested and get exactly what you want. I'm on a well so I had no choice but to do this.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wscottcross wrote:
Or you can pay Ward Labs the $27 to have your water specifically tested and get exactly what you want. I'm on a well so I had no choice but to do this.

yes i did that for my home.. i'm helping all my kids all of whom i made the one kettle 120V systems for figure out their water profiles.. NJ is the only place i'm having trouble getting info

silverspoons
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
wscottcross wrote:

yes i did that for my home.. i'm helping all my kids all of whom i made the one kettle 120V systems for figure out their water profiles.. NJ is the only place i'm having trouble getting info

silverspoons

Can you send me that link? I tried looking on their site but couldn't find the water testing. I would love to pay someone to test mine. As others have stated I only get the basic numbers and they are for a rather large area, not specific to my actual water supply.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that its Home Depot that has a mail in water test kit. I am not sure what lab does the testing, I just remember seeing the kits in the store.
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Depot has/had test kits for LEAD.... not sure if they're 'full' tests.
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
silverspoons wrote:
wscottcross wrote:

silverspoons

Can you send me that link? I tried looking on their site but couldn't find the water testing. I would love to pay someone to test mine. As others have stated I only get the basic numbers and they are for a rather large area, not specific to my actual water supply.

To order a test kit:

https://producers.wardlab.com/brewerskitorder.php

To submit a sample in your own water bottle (this is what I did):

http://www.wardlab.com/images/SampleForms/HomeBrewer.pdf

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazumichan wrote:
I believe that its Home Depot that has a mail in water test kit. I am not sure what lab does the testing, I just remember seeing the kits in the store.

If you mean this test:

Don't do it. It's a lead generation scam by RainSoft (a company that sells water purification systems) that for some reason Home Depot is allowing. They test nothing and try and sell you an incredibly overpriced water purification system. (You send in your sample, they call a few days later citing that your 'water is close to undrinkable but we can fix it!').

A news story about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxq67Ytrmhs

More info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/3grvun/accuracy_of_free_home_depot_take_home_water_tests/?st=ixrjc0ib&sh=d98752f3

Long story short: Never trust a test offered by a company who is also selling a solution. Go with Ward Labs.

Kal

Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the package, but I can't say for certain. I didn't read it to see if it was just lead or what, just remember seeing it there.

kal wrote:
Kazumichan wrote:

If you mean this test:

Don't do it. It's a lead generation scam by RainSoft (a company that sells water purification systems) that for some reason Home Depot is allowing. They test nothing and try and sell you an incredibly overpriced water purification system. (You send in your sample, they call a few days later citing that your 'water is close to undrinkable but we can fix it!').

A news story about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxq67Ytrmhs

More info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/3grvun/accuracy_of_free_home_depot_take_home_water_tests/?st=ixrjc0ib&sh=d98752f3

Long story short: Never trust a test offered by a company who is also selling a solution. Go with Ward Labs.

Kal
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wscottcross"][quote="dp Brewing Company"]
silverspoons wrote:
wscottcross wrote:

To order a test kit:

https://producers.wardlab.com/brewerskitorder.php

To submit a sample in your own water bottle (this is what I did):

http://www.wardlab.com/images/SampleForms/HomeBrewer.pdf

Ok, I'm back with a question. I looked them up and they have three possible options for Brewers.

All the test include the following:
Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Cloride, pH, Nitrate, Carbonate, Bicarbonate, Sulfate, Electrical Conductivity, Est. Total Dissolved Solids, Total Hardness (Lime), Total Akalinity

W-5 Household Complete Mineral Test ($27.25)
Adds Iron and Fluoride results.

W-5A Brewers Test ($27.25)

Adds Iron and Phosphorus results.

W-6 Household Mineral Test ($21.00)
Just the basic stuff listed above the two previous test.

Any recommendations on what test to purchase? I could see some value in getting an Iron test but wonder if it's worth an extra $6.25......
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what you think may be in your supply. Are you on a well? Then you may want to test for iron, fluoride, and phosphorus for your own piece of mind to make sure they're at safe levels just for regular every day consumption.

High iron in beer brewing is bad: It catalyzes all sorts of nasty reactions in beer, a lot of haze-forming reactions.

A quick Google search:

"In some regions in the United States, community drinking water and home wells can contain levels of naturally occurring fluoride that are greater than the level recommended by the US Public Health Service for preventing tooth decay. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) currently has a non-enforceable recommended guideline for fluoride of 2.0 mg/L that is set to protect against dental fluorosis. If your home is served by a water system that has fluoride levels exceeding this recommended guideline, EPA recommends that children 8 years and younger be provided with alternative sources of drinking water."

"It's recommended that tap water have no more than 0.3 milligram of iron per liter, the Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences reports. However, if you have well water or if your water comes from a private source, it may not be subject to local or federal mandates, which means your water could have more iron. If your water has higher levels of iron, it probably won’t be clear and could have a metallic taste. If you suspect you’re getting too much iron from your drinking water, you could start to show some signs. The most common complaints include gastrointestinal upset -- nausea, cramping, vomiting and constipation. Your doctor can check your iron levels to see if your symptoms are associated with too much iron. In severe cases, iron toxicity leads to organ damage, fainting, coma or even death."

"Phosphorus is one of the key elements necessary for growth of plants and animals. Phosphorus in elemental form is very toxic and is subject to bioaccumulation. Phosphate PO43- formed from this element. Phosphate exists in three forms: Orthophosphate, met-pho sulfate, and organically bound phosphate. Each compound contains phosphorus in a different chemical formula orthoform are produced by natural processes and are found in sewage. Poly forms are used for treating boiler water and in detergents in water they change into the ortho form organic phosphates are important in nature. Their occurrence may result from the breakdown of organic pesticides which contain phosphates. They may exit in solution, as particles, loose fragments, or in the bodies of aquatic organisms. Rainfall can cause varying amounts of phosphates to wash from farm soils into nearby waterways. Phosphate will stimulate the growth of plankton and aquatic plants which provide food for fish this increased growth may cause an increase in the fish population and improve the overall water quality. However, if an excess of phosphate enters the water way, algal and aquatic plants will grow wildly, choke up the water way, and use up large amounts of oxygen. This condition is known as Eutrophication or over-fertilization of receiving waters. The rapid growth of aquatic vegetation can cause the death and decay of vegetation- and quality life because of the decrease in dissolved oxygen levels. Phosphates are not toxic to people or animals unless they are present in very high levels. Digestive problem could occur from extremely high level of phosphate."

Kal

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on local County Water. New house with all PEX lines.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, saw you had previously written:

I would love to pay someone to test mine. As others have stated I only get the basic numbers and they are for a rather large area, not specific to my actual water supply.

If you get the basic numbers you need to plug into something like EZWaterCalculator, that's all you need.

Keep in mind too that published numbers are typically averages over the year. If you send in a sample, you're getting one point in time which may in fact be the highest or lowest for that value. An average is better. Some breweries will test weekly or monthly and adjust differently if there are reasonably big swings.

Often a treatment plant serves a very large area and that's fine - the water will be all somewhat the same. In my area there are about 4 plants and even when I compare the numbers between all of them they're fairly close, close enough that it really doesn't matter.

In my case my city water's really soft (low numbers) so even a 20-30% swing in any number doesn't matter (if it did swing that way). In fact, I've gone years without re-checking to see if things have moved because I know they won't since it's the same groundwater.

Kal

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do currently use the numbers they gave me with EZWater. I would just like a more exact value to start from. I'm sure you have already figured this out about me but I like things Black/White. I don't like to assume the numbers are close enough. I see it the same as calibrating your probes. You don't want them close enough, you want them exact. I'm willing to pay the $27 to get more accurate numbers.
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figure every step of the way that I'm more thorough will produce better and more repeatable beer.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do currently use the numbers they gave me with EZWater. I would just like a more exact value to start from. I'm sure you have already figured this out about me but I like things Black/White. I don't like to assume the numbers are close enough. I see it the same as calibrating your probes. You don't want them close enough, you want them exact. I'm willing to pay the $27 to get more accurate numbers.

Sure. I'd just be concerned that getting a single test may be worse than going with the regional yearly average as the numbers will change over the year which may put you in a worse position and actually be LESS accurate.

Like calibrating the probes, to be accurate you'd need to do the water test as the values change. While a probe won't drift very fast, water can and often does change seasonally so you'd need to do it many times/year if accuracy is a concern.

Before sending in a test, I'd also take a look at the municipality's reports over the years to see how much it varies year to year and over to year to see if sending it in is actually worth it. Some municipal reports will also give you the highs and lows to give you a better idea too...

What I'm getting at is that doing a single test with Ward labs only gives you a single point in time and the numbers do change. So it's not necessarily more accurate to send in for a test with Ward and use those numbers. Say your Calcium actually varies from 50 to 100 throughout the year. Your municipality who tests probably every week or so may call this "75". If you send in a test to Ward today you may get 50 back because it happens to be at the lowest. That's more accurate today of course, but in 6 months the actual value may be 100 so going with 75 all the time would be the best approach as your margin of error throughout the year is less.

The best would be to send in a test to Ward monthly. But that's likely overkill. It really depends on the numbers and how much they swing. If the real numbers are really low (i.e. very soft water), even wild 50-75% swings won't matter.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: