Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Deschutes Black Butte Porter Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/deschutes-black-butte-porter

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:16 pm; edited 18 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up Kal, I will definitely brew this one soon thanks to your recipe. I saw the article in BYO also and their recipe. You did your homework on this one. Podcast with the brewer with tips and more accurate recipe, which is "considered to be cloned" is the one I will attempt to brew. Thanks again for your efforts!

John

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John! This is one I had heard lots of over the years so it's been on the "to-brew" list forever... Wink The BYO mag article actually reminded me it's time to get brewing this one (and the fact that I was getting close to needing to fill one of my nitro taps...)

Kal

David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this over the past weekend. It's been in the Fermenter for 3 1/2 days. Mug I will be adding Vanilla Beans to make a Vanilla Porter. I was planning on using WY1187 Ringwood, but my stored supply would not grow. I used US-05 as a backup. I will be adding the Vanilla Beans in secondary for 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know how it taste.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal, how important do you feel the 130 degree protein rest is, given the overall grain bill?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotrequired wrote:
kal, how important do you feel the 130 degree protein rest is, given the overall grain bill?

Not very. I only include it because it's in the original, and did it because it's easy to do on my setup. If you can't, don't worry about it and just the single infusion mash at 156F.

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
itsnotrequired wrote:

Not very. I only include it because it's in the original, and did it because it's easy to do on my setup. If you can't, don't worry about it and just the single infusion mash at 156F.

Kal

i can easily do it on my setup but my final gravity numbers are way off. at a 156 mash, beersmith is estimating a 1.020 final gravity. i need to lower the mash to 151 to hit 1.016. seems odd, the numbers calc out fine on all the other recipes of your i have tried. thoughts on mashing at 151 vs 156? seems like i would lose body.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotrequired wrote:
at a 156 mash, beersmith is estimating a 1.020 final gravity.

I would ignore any such estimates. No software looks at the yeast (you enter the attenuation yourself) nor does it look at the grist. Did you put in the 73% attenuation value?

Quote:
thoughts on mashing at 151 vs 156? seems like i would lose body.

I would mash at whatever on your setup you think will hit the final gravity. Wink Sorry for being so vague, but without knowing your setup, it's hard to comment.

For what it's worth, I find that yeast and grist have a much bigger impact than mash temp.

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
isn't apparent attenuation a function of og and fg?

They are all connected. FG is a function of the OG and attenuation.

OG comes from the sugars - that one's pretty simple, but even that can vary depending on the max grain yield (which can vary by brand/maltster/batch).

Attenuation is a function of lots of different things which are the hardest to 'calculate' ahead of time:

- Yeast strain / amount pitched / temp / etc
- Grist (how much fermentables vs unfermentables - this one's really complex)
- System behaviour
- Probably lots of other things that aren't coming to mind right now.

FG is really not something you can reliably calculate. It's most definitely one of the biggest unknowns.
In my software (Beer Tools Pro) I can enter the attenuation, but I generally ignore it for the reasons stated above. Until you brew a specific batch you're just guessing. I'm surprised you can't enter it as there's really very little way for the software to try and figure it out for you. As you get more brews under your belt you can start to "eyeball" where things will end up, especially once you've used a yeast strain a lot. Eventually you'll be able to guestimate attenuation pretty closely by looking at yeast strain, grist composition, and mash temp (in that order). You'll probably get within a point or two of where you wanted to be, and then can tweak the grist composition and/or mash temp for next time.

Software just can't do this. It's waaay too complex. Software doesn't even do the simplest things. For example, I bet if you put in 10 lbs of continental 2-row (mostly fermentable sugars) vs 10 lbs of carapils (mostly unfermentable sugars) into your software, it isn't going to change the FG on you even though it should change it greatly.

One of the best things I find brewers can do is to is ignore any software based attenuation calculations.

Quote:
wyeast states 1968 has an attenuation of 67-71%, can you even get to 73% with that strain?

Yes.

Add "manufacturer yeast strain attenuations" to the list of things that brewers should also ignore. Wink They're a bit useful when comparing strains against each other but for the most I find them absolutely useless.

For example, I've gone as high as 83.5% attenuation on my Firestone Walker Double Jack clone: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27614

Kal
701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itsnotrequired

I brewed this ten days ago. Just went out and checked the gravity. It started out at 1.059 and is at 1.011 now.

I also use Beer Smith with the same 1.020 estimate, at 64.6% attenuation estimate. What I have is 1.011 with an attenuation of 82.2%.

The fermentation really took off on day two and ended up at 71 deg. I ferment in a cool building and had a heat pad set for 64 deg. I caught it and cooled it down to 64 deg. I don't know if that effected the outcome of the low gravity or not. But you can certainly achieve a higher attenuation than what the yeast specs say.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. If you find yourself consistently ending up with a dryer (more attenuated) beer than planned, up the mash temp and/or swap out some of the base (low lovibond) malt for carapils.

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

701, good to hear! that's some pretty gnarly attenuation. i've only used 1968 a couple times before, both after just starting my system, still learning it. i'll go with the 156 mash and see what happens.
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a little early but anyone taste their batches yet? Wondering how you like the finished product.

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's great! Actually enjoying a pint of it as I type this. That said, I don't post any recipe until I've confirmed it's perfect and I like it.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Mine's great! Actually enjoying a pint of it as I type this.

Kal

Ok cool, as this one is on my "to brew list" and is on deck after I brew my Irish Red this week for St. Patty's Day!

John

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ 1.014 on day 8. Time to crash! Already tastes scrumpdillyicious Cross

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bottled mine this morning. Real mild, this is one you could drink a lot of. Let's see..... that is fill one drink one. Right?

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, well everyone around here has had me brew what they wanted lately (I guess that's a compliment) so I took care of them over the past few months and put this one on the back burner......Until today! Brew day went smooth as could be (again Kal your control box is just a dream to use) and I hit my pre boil numbers but I came in a little hot on the post boil at 1.062, so we will see what the yeast does (had a 2.5 liter starter), so I may have made a little stronger beer, got really good efficiency on this one. I will report back when I get it on tap. Beautiful wort color on this one as it went into the fermentor and also in the hydro flask already!

John

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I put this one on tap today and we all pulled several pints. This is a great recipe and I really like this beer! I managed to get my hands on a real Black Butte Porter a few weeks ago when we took a trip up north and I have to say this recipe is definitely spot on! Thanks for posting Kal! Another beauty!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent John! Glad to hear you like it!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: