Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Alternative Panel Face Layout

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Alternative Panel Face Layout Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm in the process of designing a system based on your design, and after reading the book several times, I wanted to make a couple of changes to your panel layout. There's a couple of minor differences, but I think it should work OK.

The goal is for a ½-bbl brewery using 30-gallon kettles. I don't like boilovers. The mash tun might be 20-gallon.

First, I find myself using all kinds of timers on brew day. Right now, I use a timer app on my iPad, which winds up getting booted around a bit, and is exposed to a spill risk. The first thing I wanted was more timers.

I'm going to build this as a single-tier, two-pump HERMS system, so I ditched one of the PID controllers in favor of a simple mash tun temperature monitor.

I'm going to build with 50A capacity, in case I need to use 2 elements at once at some point in the future, so I don't need the element selector switch.

I went with a Rittal 20 x 24 x 8 enclosure in the design. I like the extra room inside. I also designed around 96mm PID controllers, so I could see the numbers from across the room a little easier.

There are a few other changes, including the addition of an E-stop, reset and pause buttons for the timers, and a single alarm buzzer that will be tied to PID alarms and the timers. Since the subsystem generating the alarm might not be clear, I've added illuminated buttons for the temp alarm and timer rests.

I'm also going to add an interlock switch to the enclosure door that will shut the entire system down if the door is opened. That way, there will be limited line voltage present on the internals, and I should be able to cover the remaining hot terminals inside the enclosure.

On the plumbing side, I've drafted a semi-permanent setup that uses 3-way valves. I may back off of that in favor of disconnects or Tri-Clover clamps, but I think I can integrate CIP practices pretty easily. The plumbing design is still at the early draft stage.

Anyway...the plumbing layout and panel face designs are attached. Comments are most welcome.

Last edited by GAParkins on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Updated with Drawings Reply with quote

I've spent the last couple of days working on getting my ideas down on paper. Attached are easier-to-view versions of what I attached to the first post. PDF downloads just aren't the right format for a Forum thread.

I made some changes, too. I think this is getting pretty close to what I'm going to do.

[img][/img]

Control Panel BOM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.57 KB
 Viewed:  15434 Time(s)

Control Panel BOM.png

Control Panel Schematic and Wiring Diagram-Model.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Control Panel Schematic and Wiring Diagram-Model.png
 Filesize:  33.13 KB
 Downloaded:  794 Time(s)

Panel Face Drawing - Final.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Panel Face Drawing - Final.png
 Filesize:  62.3 KB
 Downloaded:  819 Time(s)

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through this yesterday - everything seems pretty well thought out to me based on how you brew. I did the same thing with the illuminated reset button for the two timers on my panel. I actually put the buzzer on mine on top of the panel next to the heatsink... it doesn't illuminate and I don't need to see it or press it so I just put it out of the way.
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten wrote:
everything seems pretty well thought out

Thank you for the comment. I was thinking of sourcing a couple of different buzzers. One for a PID alarm, and one for a timer alarm, or something.

Where is the line between thinking something through enough and overthinking it? I found another couple of tweaks to the schematic. I forgot to add the "element on" pilot lights, and I forgot to add the microswitch that opens the main contactor if the enclosure door opens. I think the attached update is getting pretty close.

Description:

Download
 Filesize:  129.12 KB
 Downloaded:  733 Time(s)

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of different buzzers too... maybe it's something I'd do down the road, although cutting holes in the panel after all the parts are installed seems risky if not silly. I wonder how different they are from each other.
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I added an alarm light near each source of alarm. Should provide a quick visual about whatever is unhappy.
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! I did the same, heh. Glad to see someone else is having the same (or at least similar) thought processes as I did!
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Schematic Update #3 Reply with quote

I found a bunch more stuff that was wrong:

1) The output of the 50A contactor was feeding both 30A contactors off of one pair of wires through a pair of single-pole breakers. I doubled up on the output and ran each 30A feed pair through dedicated 2P breakers. Major screwup there.

2) There was no fusing on the pilot lights for the pumps. I also decided to use 20A 125/250V 4-conductor twist-lock connectors and receptacles so I can run a single cable to feed both pumps.

3) I changed the element feed cables to two pieces of #10AWG 3-cond. boat cable. I'll use 30A shore power cords and connectors. I had one ground supplying both kettles, which is another plus-sized screwup.

4) I relocated the ammeter CTs to L1 and L2 of the incoming main supply cable.

Any other changes were just cosmetic. Updated schematic attached.

Description:

Download
 Filesize:  130.69 KB
 Downloaded:  643 Time(s)

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Panel Face Layout Reply with quote

GAParkins wrote:
The goal is for a ½-bbl brewery using 30-gallon kettles. I don't like boilovers. The mash tun might be 20-gallon.

I've been experimenting with FermCap. 20 drops in 15 gallons stops boil overs and increases hot break formation (and I rock my boil at 100%). No downstream problems with head retention. You'll probably save yourself a lot of cost in stainless if you consider going that route.

GAParkins wrote:
On the plumbing side, I've drafted a semi-permanent setup that uses 3-way valves. I may back off of that in favor of disconnects or Tri-Clover clamps, but I think I can integrate CIP practices pretty easily. The plumbing design is still at the early draft stage.

I don't see the plumbing schematic you referenced. I'm also using 3-way valves and TC fittings with hose. I've brewed on mine a few times and it works well, but I might tweak the set up a little. I'm out of town right now, will send a pic when I get home and would also like to see your schematic.
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the boilover preventer. I'll take a look at it next time I brew.

My plumbing diagram is attached. I'm using Visio for all of my design work, so my apologies if the symbols and pictograms aren't exactly up to ANSI standards.

All of the 3-way valves are type "T" configuration. Type "L" valves wouldn't work.

While complicated, I think this will make it possible to brew a few batches without touching hoses. Every fourth brew or so, I would take the whole thing apart for a through cleaning. Interim cleaning can be accomplished by running some PBW and StarSan through everything.

Also, this is just a rough plan. I am also considering quick disconnects, no 3-way valves, and about six hoses of about six feet in length.

Upgraded Home Brewery Plumbing Diagram.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Upgraded Home Brewery Plumbing Diagram.png
 Filesize:  38.07 KB
 Downloaded:  679 Time(s)

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAParkins wrote:
All of the 3-way valves are type "T" configuration. Type "L" valves wouldn't work.

While complicated, I think this will make it possible to brew a few batches without touching hoses. Every fourth brew or so, I would take the whole thing apart for a through cleaning. Interim cleaning can be accomplished by running some PBW and StarSan through everything.

I think you're on the right track. Like I said, I'm toying with it too so I'm no expert, but I counted 14 three way valves. I have a very similar set up also using T three-ways and I also have a third pump and a dedicated whirlpool, and I only used 8 valves. I also do not have to move hoses at all. I think you have some redundancy that you can get rid of. I'll try to draw a sketch of what I did tonight and post it.

Also, I do recommend trip-clamp 3 way valves. They're super easy to clean, disconnect in seconds (from each other - don't need to be disassembled), and have no threading/ teflon tape/ gaps for gunk to hide. It does cost more up front (another reason to limit redundancy) but I think they're well worth it. Spend more time brewing and less time cleaning.

You could if it's easy, but you also won't need to PBW and StarSan everything after each brew. I do PBW through my whirlpool, WP pump and chiller set up and those hoses, then rinse. On the next brew day I StarSan the same while brewing is going on. Doing PBW/ StarSan in front of the Boil kettle isn't really necessary.
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started adding up the cost of TC hardware and developed what I sincerely hope is a transient case of bubble guts. I am determined to build my control panel without compromise, but I could see leaving the TC hardware on the post-boil side and sticking to barbs and clamps on the hot side.

My budget and cash flow is such that this will be an ongoing project for several months, so there is time for me to do some cost/benefit analysis on my options. For example, I was thinking of using aluminum extrusions from 80/20 to build a stand, but when I got to almost $800 just for the extrusions, the appeal of the Costco warehouse shelving stand went up a notch or two when I saw Brewinpilot89'sthread on his sweet-looking diamond plate rig.

I expect a number of compromises throughout my project. A battery of QD hoses and an "assemble as needed" aaproach might be the cheapest, and may be easy to upgrade later on.

One other complexity of the 3-way valve option is the complexity. Right now, I envision an aluminum plate with all of the valves mounted and labels for each possible configuration. One would still need a pretty comprehensive checklist to avoid pumping a PBW solution into a freshly-filled fermenter!

OTOH, replacing all of the 3-ways with motor-controlled units and a PLC with an HMI touchscreen would be a badass upgrade.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAParkins wrote:
My budget and cash flow is such that this will be an ongoing project for several months, so there is time for me to do some cost/benefit analysis on my options. I expect a number of compromises throughout my project. A battery of QD hoses and an "assemble as needed" aproach might be the cheapest, and may be easy to upgrade later on.

Yes. It is as it is. I've been working towards all of this for almost 8 years.

GAParkins wrote:
One other complexity of the 3-way valve option is the complexity. Right now, I envision an aluminum plate with all of the valves mounted and labels for each possible configuration. One would still need a pretty comprehensive checklist to avoid pumping a PBW solution into a freshly-filled fermenter!

This actually isn't so bad. I think I drew out the layout in about 20 min last time I did it. The hardware doesn't need to be mounted to anything other than the pumps, but you will need a pump stand that is bigger than what has been previously described. Mine is made out of wood currently and I'm still trying to design it to be not so front heavy. I'll then have a buddy that is good at welding make a permanent fix. All you need to do is close your fermenter valve and disconnect your hose before CIP. That's not all that scary.
GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on Tiger Woods' boat a few years ago (shortly after his wife tossed a 9-iron through the back window of his Escalade). He is an avid spearfisherman, and the lazarette had a scuba tank-filling control panel that was able to mix three gasses, depending on the depth that he would be diving. That panel was an absolute thing of beauty, in polished stainless steel (never mind the varnished teak rack for his custom-made spearguns). Something like that is in the back of my mind as I go through the design of the stand.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the hastily drawn picture by my 10 year old. Just kidding. It's all me. If you mount the pumps, then you don't need a structure to hold anything else. It's self supporting. (It also looks better in person...)

6 - three way valves, not 8 or 14.

Edit: I got sick of fighting with my HopStopper and took it out; That's why I go in and out of the single Boil Kettle port. I whirlpool every batch now. The transfer time into the WP, circulating and resting takes less time than trying to suck through that dang screen.

Photo on 7-22-17 at 11.26 PM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.64 KB
 Viewed:  15262 Time(s)

Photo on 7-22-17 at 11.26 PM.jpg

GAParkins

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at a boil kettle that incorporates a whirlpooling attachment. It would be out via the main drain and back in via the WP fitting. Might eliminate the third pump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: