Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Aeration
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Aeration Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So, here is what I have coming together. I have a build in process based 99% entirely off Kal's design. I'm using SS Brewtech 14G Brewmaster series fermenters. I want to close the system and aerate inline. Looking for suggestions...

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey George,

I use Kal's recommended CFC, on a stand that a friend helped weld for me out of square steel tubing. I use tri-clamp fittings throughout my brewery, and added garden hose quick-disconnects for the water side (this helps prevent the inevitable leaking water after disconnecting). You should be able to figure out all the fittings based on the picture. If not, let me know.

There's an oxygen stone attached in the back of the "T" that goes to a welding oxygen tank. Requisite inline O2 filter, "T" and valves (so I can attach a oxygen wand for oxygenating yeast starters (or a fermenter if I want to after fermentation has begun), and a Check Valve ( https://www.morebeer.com/products/shut-checkball-valve.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery ) so wort doesn't back up the line and wreck the O2 filter (speaking from experience). I did move it closer to the stone than some of the pictures depict. The first picture has it right, other two do not. Most fittings were purchased at Home Depot.

I had trouble dialing in the flow/ pressure gauge on the tank, so bought a Flowmeter. (Kal-ify it, please - DONE!) http://amzn.to/2hPWA0g
It's pricy, but I do find that less than 1 LPM is plenty and I like not wasting O2.

I'm going to revamp the layout to better accommodate the flow meter and since I decided to use glycol for my fermentation cabinets, I'm considering using the pictured setup as first-stage cooling with water, and a second stage plate chiller that is permanently hooked up to the glycol lines.

IMG_5467.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.02 KB
 Viewed:  30800 Time(s)

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.52 KB

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.02 KB

IMG_3791.jpg

David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For aeration, I made an DIY inline aeration venturi. The final length of tubing into the Fermenter is 1/2 OD Polypropylene. I have a Push-to-Connect Tee and on the input side to the Tee I have push smaller tubing into the 1/2" Tubing to create a restriction. As the wort is pushed through the Tee, air is sucked into the mix and I get very good air aeration. I have a sanitary air filter on the upstanding leg of the Tee and the straight through leg continues on into the Fermenter.

[EDIT 12/15/16 9:01 PM] Added Photos of Venturi

I also have a threaded Aeration Stone and a Threaded Sanitary Fitting that I can clamp to the bottom of the SS Brewtech Fermenter and inject O2 into the bottom of the Fermenter. That works well also.

David

_Venturi.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  289.32 KB
 Viewed:  30650 Time(s)

_Venturi.png

_Venturi_insides.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  268.95 KB
 Viewed:  30650 Time(s)

_Venturi_insides.png

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap

Last edited by David_H on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ateene

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the setup I'm using. It uses a wort filter from Brewers Hardware that connects to a Duda Diesel plate chiller.
The inline oxygenator is mounted to the plate chiller with tri-clamp connectors so it can easily removed for cleaning. The oxygenator has a threaded tee with the oxygen stone and a SS Brewtech micro sight glass. I also have a cheap O2 flow meter that I got from ebay.

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ateene wrote:
Here is the setup I'm using.

Very nice, thanks for sharing. How do you like the wort filter? I plan to do a very similar set up except I'll have the convoluted CFC before the wort filter (which will hopefully catch cold-break) and then the plate chiller after.
ateene

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used the filter a couple of time, it seems to work fine.
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very similar setup with the Brewers Hardware Wort Filter and the Duda Diesel Plate Chiller.
The Filter works very well, however I have managed to clog it twice now. You still need to be vigilant to reduce the amount of Trub that gets into the system. I have added a quick whirl pool and short rest to the process to allow the Trub to settle a bit.

Will not need the Tube-in-Tube Chiller and the Plate Chiller. The Plate Chill can reduce the Wort temperature to the temperature of the Cooling Water. I live in Georgia with summertime water in the high 70's. I plan to run a test this weekend using water chilled in the HLT (20 lb ice with about 17 gallons of water); hopefully I can get the water in the HLT into the low 50's. Then I will chill boiled water to as low as I can get with the 19-20 gallons of chilled water. The plan is the flow the Cooling Water at about 3 gal/min and the Hot Wort at about 2 gal/min. The should get 11 gallons of chilled wort and limit the Cooling Water to the water in the HLT.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just splashed the wort in and it has worked extremely well for me. Here is my latest batch:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_KMTwKbJQw

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice systems guys. I'm working out my details now... still have a ways to go on the build! Really excited to get it going.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_H wrote:
The Filter works very well...You still need to be vigilant to reduce the amount of Trub that gets into the system. Will not need the Tube-in-Tube Chiller and the Plate Chiller. The Plate Chill can reduce the Wort temperature to the temperature of the Cooling Water.

I have a HopStopper in my boil kettle and do a true whirlpool in a separate vessel. The wort comes through pretty clear, and I don't think I'll jam it up. I was planning on using the Brewers Hardware hop filter after the tube-in-tube and before the plate chiller, just to trap cold break and keep clean up of the plate chiller easier.

I don't 'need' both chillers, but with tap water flowing full force I have to keep wort transfer into the fermenter slower than I'd like to hit 70'F. 1.) I'd like to speed that up and 2.) I'd like to do some lagers. The glycol power pack I have only has a 3 gallon reservoir, and I know that I won't be able to cool 12 gallons of wort with 3 gallons of glycol. So for me, having both makes sense. I'll probably get a smaller plate chiller, since I'll have taken most of the heat out of the wort already with the tube chiller and the glycol is 30'.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_H wrote:
For aeration, I made an DIY inline aeration venturi.

Great idea on the venturi!
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that the venturi method will oxygenate more effectively than an aquarium pump and stone inline?
Sorry posted this in the wrong thread, although it is still a relevant question.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimboh wrote:
Do you think that the venturi method will oxygenate more effectively than an aquarium pump and stone inline?
Sorry posted this in the wrong thread, although it is still a relevant question.

Either is fine. So long as it's as much as you need, you can't physically over oxygenate using aeration. I'm not looking at the numbers now, but I think max saturation of air is 8 ppm, which is perfect for most beers. So long as you're not under-aerating it doesn't matter if it's sucked into the tube or pumped into it. My guess is pumping it, and using a stone, would ensure the maximum amount is added and would keep bubble size small which ensures better saturation, but I really don't know if the Venturi would work just as well or not. It's possible. If you already have the stone though, I'd go with the aquarium pump.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Atmosphere-based-aeration-system-with-pump-and-diffusion-stone

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal I did read that before posting. I was mainly asking the question because you talk of 30 -120 minutes with the stone. It takes much less time for me to transfer 10gallons to my fermenters so not sure if its a working solution or if I should go stone on a wand and aerate in the fastferment. But as I have two 5gals, that would mean having the lids off for 1- 2 hours.

I am considering getting a fermentation chamber for my garage and switching to brewbuckets or a 14Gal conical. With enough space above I could just do the degas stick method. I could also just lower my fastferments so as to have space above but then I will probably be too low for transfer to keg. Fix one thing and cause problems elsewhere.

BTW I did your Blonde Aie recipe over the weekend.

All went great until I was preparing for chill and I opened my valves but didn't start the wort pump and accidentally gravity fed 4 or 5 gallons of hot wort into my fermenter in the basement!! I put the wort back into the boil kettle and started again. Damn, the fastferment leaked, a lot, I had to transfer it damn quick into my 3rd fastferment.
Must have been the heat, I had filled it with sanitiser before hand to clean and check for leaks.

I'm going to try the ESB in a couple of weeks when the fermenters are free, hope for 3rd time lucky, as in zero issues.

I reckon I must have got enough aeration just splashing it into the fermenter because even though I just sprinkled the US 05 onto the wort both batches were bubbling well after less than 12 hrs.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30-120 mins is to aerate with atmosphere through a stone once the wort's already in the fermenter.

Kal

jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think an inline stone with atmosphere would be more efficient or the same?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimboh wrote:
Do you think an inline stone with atmosphere would be more efficient or the same?

More efficient or the same as what exactly?

Kal

jimboh

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Aeration stone needs to be in the fermenter for 30-120 to sufficiently oxygenate the wort, would a stone fitted inline at the chiller output, fed by an aquarium style pump need a similar amount of time or less?

If it takes 10 - 15 minutes to chill and transfer wort to the fermenter could an inline stone possibly aerate sufficiently during the transfer?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stone needs to be for 30-120 mins if using atmosphere. Doesn't matter where it is, the time would be the same. You don't see brewers using atmosphere inline for this reason, only pure oxygen. If you want aerate inline you need to use pure oxygen. Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: