Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Amp meter malfunction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Amp meter malfunction? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Twice today my amp meter seems to be freaking out. The display just changes to what looks like a -1 for no apparent reason. I had just bumped up the HLT to 170 for mash out.

Any idea what's up with this? The first time was after transferring strike water to the MLT. I powered off the panel and back on again and it worked fine until this 2nd time.

IMG_2712.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.45 KB
 Viewed:  11529 Time(s)

IMG_2712.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for my own notes (for context): This is a 30A control panel assembled from a kit

What's the DC power supply voltage going into the amp meter?

Today it's the first time it started?
How long has it been working prior to today? (Approximately)

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough, it appears to have just started functioning normally again. Any ideas on this? Loose wire?
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first brew, so no historical data. The kit was a DIY purchased from your site, and I think the DC voltage was preset to 4.7, right?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
This is my first brew, so no historical data. The kit was a DIY purchased from your site, and I think the DC voltage was preset to 4.7, right?

Should be most likely, that's why I ask that you check to confirm. Let us know what you find out.

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do that with a voltmeter across the two posts on the transfomer? While it's running, right?
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of them read ~4.8V (it was negative, which I think means I have the probes backwards from polarity, right?). This is on the wires that run to the amp meter.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
Just do that with a voltmeter across the two posts on the transfomer? While it's running, right?

No. We need to know the output of the DC power supply, not the output of the transformer.

jphussey wrote:
Both of them read ~4.8V (it was negative, which I think means I have the probes backwards from polarity, right?). This is on the wires that run to the amp meter.

If it reads negative you have something backwards. Make sure to follow the build instructions and hook positive to positive, and negative to negative.

Can you confirm that you are reading 4.8V DC? And that the polarity is hooked up correctly?

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 4.74V DC and 4.81V DC respectively. The negative was just because I had the probes of my multimeter flipped around.

The amp meter probably flipped back and forth between that weird -1 thing in the attachment above and normal function about a dozen times during the brew day. The first time I just reset the panel and it started back up normally, but after that I just let it go because everything seemed to be functioning fine. That's when I noticed it was just changing back and forth by itself.

I couldn't really discern any pattern to it. For instance, I had the boil going and it probably went through this cycle 2 or 3 times in that 90 minute span. I wasn't changing anything on the panel, etc.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it may be a loose connection somewhere. If you can't find it, here's something to try: Flip the 2 power output wires on the DC power supplies so that the DC power supply + transformer that used to power the volt meter now powers the amp meter. See if the problem moves over to the volt meter.

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, will do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: