Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Bubbles in the MLT out hose?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Bubbles in the MLT out hose? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm about 60 min into my first mash. Running into a few problems.

I set the HLT to 149 and the MLT rose from about 137 to 145 and then just stopped.

I bumped the HLT up to 153 thinking it was just a 4 degree offset (it's about 50 degrees ambient right now) and the MLT didn't rise at all! We noticed there was a *slight* bend in the MLT hose as it run to the wort pump and there seems to be quite a few air bubbles in the MLT out hose. We straightened the hose out and the temp started rising, though this may be purely coincidental.

Should I see these air bubbles in the MLT hose, or do I likely have poor circulation? I have an exact Kal clone and the pumps are full open.

I didn't calibrate the probes, but my thermapen reads 150 and the MLT probe is reading 149/150 now. So the MLT did rise up to 149 and I have the HLT at 152 now.

My concern is really just these bubbles I guess. The flow from the hose on top of the grain bed appears to be flowing well, but this is my first brew so hard to tell.

My grain mill is set to .045 (I think. I used feeler gauges, but it was the first time I've used this mill or feeler gauges).
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bubbles in the MLT out hose? Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
I have an exact Kal clone and the pumps are full open.

Everyone says this, but I still have to ask: Wink

- What pumps are you using? (Make/model)
- What kettles?
- What's the vertical distance between the kettle output valves and the pump inputs?
- How do you have the hoses attached to the QDs?

Got any pictures/videos?

Quote:
I didn't calibrate the probes, but my thermapen reads 150 and the MLT probe is reading 149/150 now.

You need to calibrate the probes. Without doing that you have no idea if the MLT probe is reading accurately.

Quote:
My concern is really just these bubbles I guess. The flow from the hose on top of the grain bed appears to be flowing well, but this is my first brew so hard to tell.

Air is getting in somewhere. I'd look at all fittings, make sure they are tight, make sure that hose clamps are tight, etc. It's normal for air to be in the lines when you start, but it should all get pushed out within the first minute. Sometimes there'll be a straggler bubble or two that gets stuck and comes out a minute later.

A video or pictures of what you're seeing and where would help troubleshoot.

Cheers,

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS Center Inlet March 816 Pumps.
Blichmann G1 20Gx3
Vertical distance is 2-3 feet (SS prep table with pumps on lower shelf)
Hoses attached to QD with the barb and then the female QD, like in your hoses construction articles.

I didn't get any pics or videos this time, but will check the fittings all around before going again. The air was definitely present the entire 90 minute mash, so you're probably right it was a loose fitting. Nothing seemed to be leaking, so figured it was all good to go.

I will calibrate the probes. But if my thermapen and the probes read the same, that should indicate they are calibrated, right?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One place I've heard this happen is between the QDs. The fit on some seem to not be that great. Some sellers seem to sell ones that do not mate very well. If you search this forum I remember talking about a few times in the past.

Kal

hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem but with camlocks which i believe are worse than QD's. After 3 brews with trying different fittings/hoses I finally but straight barbed fittings on the outlet of the MT and inlet of pump and made it a hard connection. I used butterfly type hose clamps that can be easily removed by hand. When it is time to switch the hose to the BK simply undo the hose clamp and add the Camlock or QD back in. Solved the problem for me.
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I bought them all from Morebeer.com, so would assume they'd be decent quality, but I will mess around and see if something's off.

Do you think this is a matter of just tightening them down? Or if they aren't leaking liquid, would that indicate they are tight enough? Maybe I need more pipe tape...put about 5 wraps on each though.
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try tightening the clamps first. You may not know for sure until your next brew day when the grain bed is full and there's a restriction upstream from the fitting. The restriction gives a greater chance of pulling in air than just free flowing fluid!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This raises an interesting question. How tight should worm clamps be tightened? I can definitely still turn mine some more, but I didn't want to risk cutting the hose.

Should these be tightened until I can't pull the hose off or essentially as tight as it'll go?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
Interesting. I bought them all from Morebeer.com, so would assume they'd be decent quality, but I will mess around and see if something's off.

Those are the ones I use and they work well. They're some of the originals. Others are mostly chinese knockoffs and I've heard of some people here having issues with air getting in between the two QDs. Note that it's the QD to QD seal. Not the QD to silicone hose seal.

Don't over tighten the hose clamps. As long as they don't pull off you're ok. See the instructions for pics on how tight I put them. There's some deformation but not a ton: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hoses?page=4

Note that these are the 3/4" OD hoses, not the thinner walled ones.

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recall that some of my worm clamps were slightly misshapen as I put them on, but figured as I tightened them down they'd round out. Might be worth a look. I got the same hose too...pretty much ordered verbatim what you've recommended here on the site.

I'll experiment with it next brew day.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
I do recall that some of my worm clamps were slightly misshapen as I put them on, but figured as I tightened them down they'd round out. Might be worth a look.

I highly doubt the air's getting in between the barbed fitting and the hose (under the clamp). While I don't recommend it, some brewers don't even use clamps and just friction fit everything.

I bet it's the QD -> QD seal that is leaking which is where a rubber or silicone o-ring is used. It may not be fitting well or the o-ring may be missing. If it's only happening in one spot (or you've got a narrowed down to a few sets of QDs) you could swap them with ones you know aren't issues and see if the problem moves. This'll help you pinpoint.

Cheers!

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

In tying two of my threads together from the first brew day, do you think that the crush of the grain might have anything to do with the bubbles in the MLT's output?

If the available liquid in the bottom of the MLT was too little, wouldn't more air get sucked into the hoses? I know that the flow rate on top of the grain bed seemed OK and I didn't experience a stuck sparge (I don't think!), so not sure if that nullifies this theory or not. I did do a full test of the system with water and oxiclean and I don't recall seeing any bubbles in any of the hoses during that test. So having a full MLT of grain was definitely a 'change' from that test process that could have induced this problem. And for what it's worth, I only saw bubbles in the MLT's 'out-hose', no where else. Wouldn't it be a little weird that just two of a whole batch of QDs was not sealing properly? Or would their poor seal be compounded and exposed by virtue of the limited liquid at the bottom of the MLT?

I'll do some controlled swapping and see if I can isolate the problem.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
In tying two of my threads together from the first brew day, do you think that the crush of the grain might have anything to do with the bubbles in the MLT's output?

No.

However, if you mill too fine and flow through the grain bed is poor, it could exacerbate the air bubbling issue if there's a poor QD seal as the pump may pull air from that poorly connected QD point more easily than pull wort through the grain bed.

For example, if you test with only water in the mash tun and don't get any bubbles, but do get bubbles with grain, then the grain's not really to blame, it's just pulling harder and the QD seal is a weak point.

Quote:
If the available liquid in the bottom of the MLT was too little, wouldn't more air get sucked into the hoses?

I don't see how the amount of liquid matters.

Quote:
I know that the flow rate on top of the grain bed seemed OK and I didn't experience a stuck sparge (I don't think!), so not sure if that nullifies this theory or not.

Flow at the top = flow at the bottom. It's a closed system. So if flow at the top is good, it has to also be good at the bottom, unless you're dumping wort on the floor. Wink

Quote:
I did do a full test of the system with water and oxiclean and I don't recall seeing any bubbles in any of the hoses during that test. So having a full MLT of grain was definitely a 'change' from that test process that could have induced this problem.

Possibly. See my point above. Grain adds resistance which pay push the QD seal(s) past the point of leaking in air. If you gravity dumped out of the MLT it would likely work fine, but the pump is sucking.

Quote:
And for what it's worth, I only saw bubbles in the MLT's 'out-hose', no where else.

That's where I'd expect to see it as that's where the 'sucking' is the hardest.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be a little weird that just two of a whole batch of QDs was not sealing properly?

No, because that's where the seal is under the most strain. The HLT has zero strain anywhere as there's no grain. In the HLT the only other place that would have sucking strain is the pump input. Everything else is on the output side with no resistance. If you closed the MLT kettle return ball valve you'd put strain on the output QDs and you may see one leak wort if it had a similar issue.

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbles in the out hose for me was an issue with the pump having problems obtaining a good flow, this did just happen to me my last brew, once I got the pump regulated correct the bubbles went away and thinking back that day I had a gummy mash too, it would seem to me I wasn't getting a steady steam of wort going into the pump

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is very timely! I am having the EXACT same issues with bubbles out of the MLT only. It has been very frustrating. Though I am still able to brew successfully, I know I need to get this resolved sooner than later. I have a (dare I say) close to a Kal Klone, but not exact. I have 1 C****** pump with SS Head and 2 March pumps - one with a C****** SS Head and one with a March SS Head and I am also using Camlocks instead of QD. (So a bit hesitant to ask about this issue here originally.) I get the exact same issue with any of these three pumps when connect to the MLT out, including the March 815 with March SS Head.

But I never suspected air getting IN from a fitting, and I would have thought with a non perfect fitting liquid would leak OUT. With this understanding I may have another troubleshooting route. And I would think this would apply to any fitting type - So would temporarily wrapping the fittings with something airtight help indicate if air getting in at the fitting is the issue? I would think that if the issue then went away, the wrapped fitting could well be the culprit. Hopefully maybe cling wrap and clamp, or a long rubber or other airtight sleeve and clamps should do the trick. I'd have to believe the issue would go way almost immediately.

Sound viable?

Thanks,

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with this too; mostly with big grain bills. I use tri-clamp fittings which don't leak, vs Camlocks or QD's that potentially could a little easier - and yet I've still had this problem. I was also concerned that I was getting air in somewhere but couldn't figure out how that was possible from inside the MLT. I've even dismantled the components, cleaned and re-taped everything and still had problems. What I suspect the problem is, is what causes cavitation.

From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation)
'Cavitation is the formation of vapour cavities in a liquid – i.e. small liquid-free zones ("bubbles" or "voids") – that are the consequence of forces acting upon the liquid. It usually occurs when a liquid is subjected to rapid changes of pressure that cause the formation of cavities where the pressure is relatively low. When subjected to higher pressure, the voids implode and can generate an intense shock wave.' (That last sentence has more to do with the damage that occurs to pumps because of the bubble formation, and less with why we have bubbles in our wort).

I believe that as we are drawing on the mash with the pump, and the grain bed is resisting flow, that the gas in solution is expanding due to the negative pressure (relative to atmospheric pressure) and creating said bubbles. I've found that making sure my pump is fully primed and slowing down the recirculation rate has helped with bubble formation and loss of pump suction.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fseider wrote:
So would temporarily wrapping the fittings with something airtight help indicate if air getting in at the fitting is the issue? I would think that if the issue then went away, the wrapped fitting could well be the culprit. I'd have to believe the issue would go way almost immediately.

I'd be curious to know if this works for you. I tried something similar but had a hard time with the valves and irregular shapes of everything. Maybe a temporary shrink-wrapped something using a heat gun?

However, I'd be willing to bet that if you were experiencing bubbling problems again that you could stop the pump, stir up your grain bed, and the bubbles would go away (at least temporarily). If you stir your mash (and I have for several batches where I was experiencing bubbling), just make sure to stir it very "quietly" as you do not want to introduce air/ oxygen into hot wort. Also, the longer you go between stirring the mash and transferring to the boil kettle - the better. We all know the grain bed works as a filter to help with clarification. I've found that if you can leave the mash alone while circulating for at least 15 minutes that it will still clarify nicely. I've seen a mix of recommendations on stirring the mash, or not. Many breweries have paddles that stir the mash the entire time so it's not like it's a bad thing (I've actually experienced increased mash efficiency). In our case with difficult sparging and recirculation, I'd rather have a slight cloud going into the BK than fight with my pumps keeping suction the entire mash/ sparge.

Just my two cents.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fseider wrote:
I have 1 C****** pump ...

You're allowed to say Chugger here. It's ok. Wink

Quote:
But I never suspected air getting IN from a fitting, and I would have thought with a non perfect fitting liquid would leak OUT.

Not always - it depends on the amount of pressure. Just sitting there there with the pumps off there may not be enough push from the weight of the liquid to have the QDs leak, but sucking with the pump may present more negative pressure such that air gets in. It can also depend on how the QD -> QD seal is done. Pressure from the inside towards the outside may simply push the o-ring against the QDs tighter forming a bigger seal where the opposite direction allows the o-ring to move.

I don't know if this is the issue the posters above are having however - I only mention it because I remember at least one person in the past having QDs that weren't sealing very well such that air was getting in. Their problem went away when they changed the QDs.

Cavitation could certainly be an issue too. I'm not sure. That word always reminds of The Hunt for Red October. Wink

Quote:

Capt. Bart Mancuso: All back full.
Lt. Cmdr. Thompson: Say again?
Capt. Bart Mancuso: I said, all back full!
Lt. Cmdr. Thompson: Back full, aye sir. Engines back full.
[the Dallas reverses, churning the water]
Seaman Jones: Captain, we're cavitating, he can hear us!
Capt. Bart Mancuso: Conn, aye! All stop!
Crewmember: All stop, aye.
Capt. Bart Mancuso: All right, Ryan, we just unzipped our fly. Mr. Thompson! Open the outer doors, firing point procedures. Now if that bastard so much as twitches, I'm going to blow him right to Mars.

Kal

fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
fseider wrote:
I have 1 C****** pump ...

You're allowed to say Chugger here. It's ok. Wink

Many a men have been slapped for using the 'C' word, so I'm just being cautious. Smile

kal wrote:

Quote:
But I never suspected air getting IN from a fitting, and I would have thought with a non perfect fitting liquid would leak OUT.

Not always - it depends on the amount of pressure. Just sitting there there with the pumps off there may not be enough push from the weight of the liquid to have the QDs leak, but sucking with the pump may present more negative pressure such that air gets in. It can also depend on how the QD -> QD seal is done. Pressure from the inside towards the outside may simply push the o-ring against the QDs tighter forming a bigger seal where the opposite direction allows the o-ring to move.

I don't know if this is the issue the posters above are having however - I only mention it because I remember at least one person in the past having QDs that weren't sealing very well such that air was getting in. Their problem went away when they changed the QDs.

Cavitation could certainly be an issue too. I'm not sure. That word always reminds of The Hunt for Red October. Wink

Kal

That explanation makes sense. My next brew won't be for another 2 weeks or so, I'll try my fitting wrap test then and report.

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: