Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop filter for racking to kegs

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParadiseBrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Hop filter for racking to kegs Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just looking to get other peoples options.....

I just did a rack from carboys to kegs where i used 4.5oz of pellet hops for 7 days. most of the hops fell out but there were some floating on top and some in mid suspension. As i was using my 1/2" racking cane i could see some (not a ton) pellet hops making it's way into the keg. i am going to use gelatin once they are cold to clear them, but trying to figure out if i could have stopped them before they got into the keg.

I was thinking of a small, easily cleanable filter between the carboy and keg to stop any extra leaves. the below link it to a cheap filter that looks like it might be my solution.. wonder if anyone else has gone this way.....

link to item ...

https://www.amazon.com/In-Line-Strainer-stainless-filter-screen/dp/B00CH2JSIY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=0a1016df4ec0a37bebdf52bb17b7c959

Link updated to support our forum at no additional cost to you - we thank you!
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some of you are going to laugh at this, but I use a sanitized knee-high stocking on the end of my transfer tubing. I put it over the end of the tubing and use a keg post o-ring to hold it in place. It is an amazing filter media! Easy to clean, don't restrict flow in any noticeable way, cheap and easy to find! I used to stress over the hops making their way into the keg and now I don't even think about it. Obviously you buy a box of them new and this is all they are used for.

You're welcome for the evening laugh!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I chuckled, I admit it. Is the stocking on the output side then, catching any bits that made there way up the tube?
Cheers!
wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Ok. I chuckled, I admit it. Is the stocking on the output side then, catching any bits that made there way up the tube?
Cheers!

Yes, I always end up with at least a golf ball sized lump of hops this way. No issues with the siphon clogging and the keg only has a little hop matter settled after cold crashing, which is normally gone after the first 2 pours.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I am going to try this.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hop filter for racking to kegs Reply with quote

ParadiseBrew wrote:
I was thinking of a small, easily cleanable filter between the carboy and keg to stop any extra leaves. the below link it to a cheap filter that looks like it might be my solution.. wonder if anyone else has gone this way.....

I'm curious if you ended up trying this? It looks like it would work for my application too.

I made a variation of Kal's Pliny recipe two months ago [It actually just won First in the IPA category and Second place in Best of Show at my county fair!]. In an effort to not expose beer to oxygen at all, I push the beer directly from the racking arm on my Blichmann Fermenator into a CO2 purged keg through the liquid ball-lock post. This batch ended up taking 3 times longer than normal. It took a little troubleshooting, but I eventually discovered that suspended pellet hop material had plugged up the liquid post and ball lock connector. After fixing it a couple times I ended up transferring the beer into the open keg hatch. Also, while dispensing I had two other times where hop material jammed up the post/ connector, and I had to disassemble the post and connector and clean them out in order to get beer flowing again.

The nylon idea is a good one, but won't work for me. Anyone else use this or another an in-line filter for transferring to keg?

IMG_3172 small 2.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_3172 small 2.jpg
 Filesize:  284.49 KB
 Downloaded:  1036 Time(s)

ParadiseBrew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that looks like a killer setup. being that you are transferring from carboys using a dip tube i think this might be your only way to catch those hops. for my last brew i used 4.5 oz of pellet hops in the dry hop. i ended up using a small bag over the siphon pickup and it worked well.

if you end up going with one of these please report how it works! i am still thinking of going this way.
Thanks, ParadiseBrew
wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hop filter for racking to kegs Reply with quote

McGruber wrote:
ParadiseBrew wrote:

I'm curious if you ended up trying this? It looks like it would work for my application too.

I made a variation of Kal's Pliny recipe two months ago [It actually just won First in the IPA category and Second place in Best of Show at my county fair!]. In an effort to not expose beer to oxygen at all, I push the beer directly from the racking arm on my Blichmann Fermenator into a CO2 purged keg through the liquid ball-lock post. This batch ended up taking 3 times longer than normal. It took a little troubleshooting, but I eventually discovered that suspended pellet hop material had plugged up the liquid post and ball lock connector. After fixing it a couple times I ended up transferring the beer into the open keg hatch. Also, while dispensing I had two other times where hop material jammed up the post/ connector, and I had to disassemble the post and connector and clean them out in order to get beer flowing again.

The nylon idea is a good one, but won't work for me. Anyone else use this or another an in-line filter for transferring to keg?

I've never had issues with oxygenation with my method. As long I purge the keg, pushing through open lid has worked well for dozen of kegs for me.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hop filter for racking to kegs Reply with quote

wscottcross wrote:
I've never had issues with oxygenation with my method. As long I purge the keg, pushing through open lid has worked well for dozen of kegs for me.

I'm sure it does, and that's what I did here too. I've done my method for 10 other batches, and that has also worked well until this time. I make a lot of brewing decisions that many would see as overkill (should have been my middle name) to attempt to hit pro-level quality and consistency. It's not because anyone else is doing it wrong, it's just because I'm super nerdy like that. Mug
wscottcross

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hop filter for racking to kegs Reply with quote

McGruber wrote:
wscottcross wrote:

I'm sure it does, and that's what I did here too. I've done my method for 10 other batches, and that has also worked well until this time. I make a lot of brewing decisions that many would see as overkill (should have been my middle name) to attempt to hit pro-level quality and consistency. It's not because anyone else is doing it wrong, it's just because I'm super nerdy like that. Mug

I didn't want to accuse you of overkill, but since you bring it up... Wink

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hop filter for racking to kegs Reply with quote

wscottcross wrote:
I didn't want to accuse you of overkill, but since you bring it up... Wink

Wait 'till you see the fermentation cabinets I'm building... Very Happy

Edit: Built! http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321406#321406

Last edited by McGruber on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squid

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wscottcross wrote:
I know some of you are going to laugh at this, but I use a sanitized knee-high stocking on the end of my transfer tubing. I put it over the end of the tubing and use a keg post o-ring to hold it in place. It is an amazing filter media! Easy to clean, don't restrict flow in any noticeable way, cheap and easy to find! I used to stress over the hops making their way into the keg and now I don't even think about it. Obviously you buy a box of them new and this is all they are used for.

You're welcome for the evening laugh!

When you wear the stockings after - do you smell like a brewery?
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested in if the filter works or not; it works great and I'm glad I did it!

I attached pictures of the kegging of my pumpkin beer. The first run of the filter was on an IPA batch with a lot of dry hops, but my phone was dead so I didn't get pics. No problems or build up on the screen with the pumpkin - I used it mostly to see if I could catch any yeast. On the IPA I had to stop the transfer three times to empty out the filter because it got jammed up with hops and yeast. I rinsed and then re-sanitized the screen each time. That was much easier though than disassembling the ball lock connector and keg post several times (while enduring painfully slow transfer). IPA going into the keg was wicked clear post-filter. I didn't even have to clarify the IPA after chilling. The pumpkin will probably need a clarifier, but I need to adjust the spice level first.

IMG_5071.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.51 KB
 Viewed:  27638 Time(s)

IMG_5071.jpg

IMG_5073.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.12 KB

IMG_5073.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.82 KB

IMG_5074.jpg

ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. I'm actually looking to put together something like this. What size scale is that? I see a 55 and 75 at Amazon. Looking up the weight of a full Corny keg, it seems it can push 59lbs.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghandlin wrote:
What size scale is that? I see a 55 and 75 at Amazon. Looking up the weight of a full Corny keg, it seems it can push 59lbs.

I bought the 55 lb one from MoreBeer. https://www.morebeer.com/products/electronic-grain-scale-55-lbs.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery I've filled mine to the brim with Russian Imperial Stout, and didn't have any problems with the scale. You should be fine if you go that route.
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thx!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: