Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Gluten Free brew

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Gluten Free brew Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all... well I have started my journey called "The Electric Brewery" with my Panel order this week....

I was wondering is anyone know of any "good" recipes for GLUTEN FREE beer... my wife has a gluten sensitivity and must avoid gluten. I have searched this forum with no luck... if I search other forums that I am not a member, I get "Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system."

Now the interweb does result in some hits...

147 gluten free recipes: (who would have thunk!)

http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org/recipes/findrecipe.php

This one looks to be her taste:
Red Ale "Amber"

Alas... I am looking for some real recommendations.

Last edited by JSB on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious as well! So far all of the gluten free beers I've tried I haven't really enjoyed, and most of my gluten intolerant / Celiac friends simply stick to different drinks.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as Kal said, true GF beer is kinda terrible. Now gluten REDUCED beer is great. White Labs developed a product that was simply designed as a clarifier but in testing they found that it actually broke down the gluten molecules and did so such that they are below the FDA limits for designating a product as Gluten Free (4 parts per billion, or thereabouts). However they cannot legally call it GF since it was made with products containing Gluten but they are reduced to such a level that most people's bodies won't detect it. So my wife is not celiac but she has an extremely bad Gluten sensitivity. There are multiple commercial beers that use this product. I bought two of them and had my wife try some to absolutely no ill effects. Once my basement brewery is up and running I hope to use it on most beers. Stone Delicious IPA uses it as well as a local Chicago brewery called Two Brothers with their Prairie Path. Depending what your wife might enjoy I'd do a taste test of those (turns out my wife doesn't care for IPAs). It does an amazing job clarifying but doesn't "remove" any of the flavor. These are still great beers. The product is called Clarity Ferm by White Labs. It typically comes in small vials designed for a 5 gallon batch. I've wanted to look into getting it in larger packages but haven't yet. Bottom line, I hope this can bring back beer into your wife's life. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Creepy
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting news Creepy!

Based on what you posted I did find an older post on HBT.... interesting info:

Quote:
Here's the email response. Hope this helps everyone out.

Hi Mike,

The pitch rate is 1 5ml vial per 5 gallons, regardless of starting
gravity. The enzyme is very specific and only targets the protease protein
and it will continue working until there is no more protease left, then
stop. Adding more enzyme will simply make it work faster, but there's
really no advantage to it working faster so I would recommend sticking to 1
vial.

John Carroll
White Labs, Inc

Quote:
A few hints. Don't brew with wheat - this stuff seems to work best with barley and is somewhat limited with wheat. I noticed this in 2 of my brews and Charley Papasian reported the same in his trials.

Just follow the instructions and add it to the primary fermenter whrn you are pitching your yeast. It works there to break down glutens into fermentable sugars. Remember to make sure that whatever you use for racking/kegging/bottling is gluten-free to reduce the chance of random gluten getting in. I bought a new racking cane, tubing, and ez-siphon for this. I clean my bottles and kegs especially well if I am putting GR beer in them.

If you want to test what you brewed for gluten, get a kit from EZ-Gluten - I use them and it has saved me from some embarrassment from the wheat situation. Otherwise, if your friends are not super-gluten intolerant, this should not be an issue. Here is a link to the discussion on the AHA site with Charley chiming in: http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...p?topic=5807.0. Again, from personal experience brewing with Clarity ferm, it seems to work. And the beer is pretty much unaffected, especially the flavor and body. My HB club could not tell the difference between it and "regular" beer, and I brewed an APA, and IPA, a Belgian Dubbel, a Mild, and a stout to test it. Unfortunately I used wheat in two of those, but they still tasted great, they just weren't what I was willing to classify as Gluten-reduced enough for my friend. And by the way, Charley uses EZ-Gluten, too, to test his beers. It is a pretty well-accepted test.

Good luck! Please post your results for others after you finish.
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read a good series of articles about an experiment using this stuff as I was also researching GR beers for my celiac cousin:

Part1: http://beerandwinejournal.com/clarity-ferm-i/
Part2: http://beerandwinejournal.com/clarity-ferm-ii/
Part3: http://beerandwinejournal.com/clarity-ferm-iii/
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a Janet's Brown Ale and tossed in a bottle of Clarity Ferm. Will update with the results in about 2 weeks! Would be better if I'd done a 10G batch and done a side-by-side...maybe next time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: